Author Topic: "You're going to get fat if you eat that."  (Read 15235 times)

PoisonIvy

"You're going to get fat if you eat that."
« on: November 06, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »
Got this from a random man at a bus stop and unfortunately missed my opportunity to use this.  I was discretely eating a sweet potato falafel wrap from Leon, which is a popular UK healthy-eating "fast food" chain.  It was lunchtime, and I was running around between meetings and if I didn't grab something then, I wouldn't have had lunch before about 3.30pm.  I was standing away from the stop, lest anyone be offended by my eating on the run (some people seem to be offended by this, I personally don't mind as long as it's not particularly smelly and you're not making a mess, chewing with your mouth open, etc). 

Random guy walks over to me and following exchange ensues:

RG: You're going to get fat if you eat that.

Me: (startled, not quite believing what I just heard) Um, this is the first thing I've eaten today, and it's perfectly healthy.

RG: Actually, it doesn't look too bad.  Does it taste good?

Me: Yes, it's great.  Thanks for your concern. (Steps away to the far side of the bus stop.)

I know I shouldn't have explained myself but seriously, who does that? 

katycoo

Re: "You're going to get fat if you eat that."
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 09:37:15 AM »
Rude people do that.

Spoder

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:44:13 AM »
Men who think it's charming and suave to comment on what strange women are eating, do that - i.e. deluded fools.

Also, what kam0706 said.

Jan74

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 12:24:41 PM »
I've responded to that with "Oops, too late now!"  >:D

Of course, that doesn't work if you are not on the chunky side already.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 12:31:02 PM »
It's funny, I was just reading an article about this the other day.  I tried to find a link to the article, but I don't remember what magazine it was in...something like Maxim or Men's Health.  Anyway, apparently some men try to hit on women by insulting them.  ???  I don't remember what the rationale was behind it, other than the old "women like jerks, so that's how I'm going to act" mindset.

I'm going to keep trying to find a link to that article...I remember being completely gobsmacked that any guy would think that would work!
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

penguinpants

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »
It's funny, I was just reading an article about this the other day.  I tried to find a link to the article, but I don't remember what magazine it was in...something like Maxim or Men's Health.  Anyway, apparently some men try to hit on women by insulting them.  ???  I don't remember what the rationale was behind it, other than the old "women like jerks, so that's how I'm going to act" mindset.

I'm going to keep trying to find a link to that article...I remember being completely gobsmacked that any guy would think that would work!

I heard, too, that they think it makes them seem "picky" and "discerning," so that women will think they're some kind of prize, that they have to prove themselves to the guy. Ha.
Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced, and the inconvenience is often considerable. -- Jane Austen

Jan74

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 08:07:13 PM »
I think it might work on women who had verbally abusive fathers, for example. They are used to the dynamics of being insulted.

But yes, this whole "negging" women pick up artist theory definitely does not work on all women.

TiredMum

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 02:56:28 AM »
Oh that is so rude.

*hugs*

I've had the same comment made to me in the past.  :( ???

(Now I'm going away to eat my whole packet of malteses in peace & quiet)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 06:55:44 AM »
I get this alot from people who know I am diabetic and think they're being helpful.  They don't seem to realize that I've had years of experience knowing what I can and can't eat.  Food police make me crazy.

PoisonIvy

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 07:55:11 AM »
UGH, I hate that "Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen" mentality.

I kind of got the creepy feeling it might have been a ham-fisted attempt at a pickup line.  I'm not what you would call skinny (hovering around the US 12-14 area) but I don't think he was commenting about my present size.  He was no oil painting himself, either!

(My usual response to stupid pickup lines, workmen shouting at me, etc, is "So, how's that working out for you?  Get any chicks lately with that line?")

Ms_Shell

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 09:53:10 AM »
I think it might work on women who had verbally abusive fathers, for example. They are used to the dynamics of being insulted.

But yes, this whole "negging" women pick up artist theory definitely does not work on all women.

Negging, right, that was the word.  I couldn't remember what it was called.  Anyway, I didn't find that article I was talking about, but here's a link to some examples...keep in mind it sounds like it was written by a 12-year-old boy.  I would hope that adult men have (mostly) grown out of this mindset.

http://seductionbase.com/seduction/cat/Start_PU/neg/456.html
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

PoisonIvy

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 09:57:43 AM »

Negging, right, that was the word.  I couldn't remember what it was called.  Anyway, I didn't find that article I was talking about, but here's a link to some examples...keep in mind it sounds like it was written by a 12-year-old boy.  I would hope that adult men have (mostly) grown out of this mindset.

http://seductionbase.com/seduction/cat/Start_PU/neg/456.html

:o ::) :o ::) :o ::)

Where is the facepalm smiley when you need it?

Ms_Shell

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 10:06:54 AM »
At least you know he thought you were a "10"...not that you gave him the time of day anyway!  Guess it backfired on him, too bad, so sad!  :'(

Rockie

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »
Gah, that's really rude. As if it's any of his business!

This thread reminded me of this: http://meet-women-now.com/alpha-male/ (scroll down to Chapter 7). A "charming" quote: "If you approach a gorgeous woman, and give her a subtle insult as an ice breaker, she might naturally become a little insulted. This is where you can bring out a sense of humour, and gain her trust."

??? :o ::)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 01:29:17 PM »
"and you're going to get your ___ kicked if you keep saying that to people."