Author Topic: "You're going to get fat if you eat that."  (Read 15130 times)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
Re: "You're going to get fat if you eat that."
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 01:32:35 PM »
I think I'm so fat that people have given up commenting on my food choices when I eat in public. I don't even get dirty looks. Coke, falafel-flavored wheat snacks, beef jerky; you name it, I eat it in public and no one ever makes a peep. And I'm grateful.

Itzpapalotl

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »
I think he was definitely using the "insult/hit-on" method. I don't understand why any sane or intelligent man (or woman) would use this method to pick up chicks. I recently moved to an area where this is a typical come-on; Make a disparaging comment on the lady's outfit/skills/food or beverage, then follow up with a "I guess your choice is not SO BAD. "

It's nice to be older, wiser, and walk away with a smile.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »
Yes, cause I always trust people who insult me, then make jokes. Oh wait. I don't.  ::)

I trust people who are straightforward, so in the context of flirting, I'd trust someone who says "Hi, my name is [whatever]" and starts a conversation. It is amazing that all these men are paying for seduction courses and didn't think of the simplest approach, as in - you want trust, you act trustworthy. And now I need a facepalm smiley too.

Reminds me of this guy J. I knew in college. He told us girls "I'm more likely to get a response to my dating profile if I'm standing with a woman in my profile photo. It makes women kind of annoyed but intrigued and a little jealous at the same time." ::)

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 01:20:01 PM »
I've had people make such remarks to me, even when I was only about 40kgs (due to a long illness)
On one occasion I just replied "That's the whole point"  ???

Iris

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2010, 05:33:41 PM »
I'm past the dating age, but my daughter will be hitting it in a few years. I think the 'neg' approach is brilliant. It will allow her to weed out the revolting guys that you would not want to know with their very first comment  :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

CG

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 05:40:30 PM »
Reminds me of this guy J. I knew in college. He told us girls "I'm more likely to get a response to my dating profile if I'm standing with a woman in my profile photo. It makes women kind of annoyed but intrigued and a little jealous at the same time." ::)

It also warns the sane ones to stay away.  Guess what kind he probably picks up?

LadyPekoe

• Cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 05:43:24 PM »
Negging works REALLY well on some girls.  I've known smart, interesting, smoking hot girls who dated guys who did this--so it's not just idiots that fall for it.  I've had guys try to do it to me before and I usually neg them right back--except I'm not trying to pick them up.
I'm cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!  Join me on my quest :)
www.thejoyofthejoyofcooking.blogspot.com

chibichan

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 06:22:26 PM »
"You're going to get fat if you eat that ."

" You're going to get hurt if you keep talking to me . "

Sorry , I have NO tolerance for these idiots .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

princess91765

• A royal pain...
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
"You're going to get fat if you eat that ."

" You're going to get hurt if you keep talking to me . "
Sorry , I have NO tolerance for these idiots .

I love this response!  ;D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
"and you're going to get your ___ kicked if you keep saying that to people."  

Works for me.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladymaureen

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 10:54:38 AM »
I bet you're right, he was trying to pick you up. But it's interesting that he was using the body policing that women suffer every day as an icebreaker. Jerk.

Women in general get the food police, and the body police, and the ... whatever police. What we look like, eat, say ...
In my case, I am a larger woman, and frankly I avoid eating in public because then I am A Fat Woman Eating In Public. Sigh.

Jan74

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 12:25:51 PM »
In my case, I am a larger woman, and frankly I avoid eating in public because then I am A Fat Woman Eating In Public. Sigh.

But as this thread has shown us, a thin woman eating in public is a Future Fat Woman Eating in Public. Women should learn from Scarlett O'Hara and just not eat more than bird-sized bites, ever. Make that bird-sized bites of lettuce, no dressing.  ::)

boxy

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2010, 02:53:45 PM »
Are most of you posters in the UK? 

I'm only asking because as a woman of size I haven't had anyone give me grief when I've eaten in public.  Just curious.

Also want to be prepared if I ever make it across the pond....

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »
From a brief perusal of those links and a quick conversation with Lapis, I'm convinced that the tools who use these lines don't care about a relationship.  They're just looking to pick someone up for the night.  I'm astonished that women with a modicum of experience or self-esteem can't see right through this and laugh in the jerk's face.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2011, 12:22:21 PM »
From a brief perusal of those links and a quick conversation with Lapis, I'm convinced that the tools who use these lines don't care about a relationship.  They're just looking to pick someone up for the night.  I'm astonished that women with a modicum of experience or self-esteem can't see right through this and laugh in the jerk's face.

Probably they do on a regular basis, but you'll notice that these men don't care, as long as one desperate woman actually falls for their ploy once a night. They don't actually *like* women, and usually reserve very derogatory names for them, even while desperately trying to score with them. It may strike the saner members of the human race rather strange that they deride women behind their backs for having the poor taste to sleep with them, but such are the ways of the would-be pick-up artist.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."