Author Topic: Delete a thread  (Read 10259 times)

Ligeia

Re: Delete a thread
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 06:17:50 PM »
As you mentioned, that thread was quite awhile ago...it's coming up again now because it actually scared me off the site for a while.  Perhaps I'm making a mistake by taking things to heart, but this seems like a pretty kind and considerate community, so I was a little shocked by the response.

Thanks for the advice, and I really appreciate those of you letting me know I wasn't the only one who found it a little over the top.

For what it's worth, I'm also surprised when this happens, and it seems to happen more often than I would think.  Posters are often congratulating each other on the civility of this forum--and most posters really are civil--yet when the topic is contentious, I do see an awful lot of sniping and defensiveness and personal attacks.  It's to be expected on any forum, but it does seem more disappointing on an etiquette forum.  (By the way, I have no idea what thread you're talking about; I'm just speaking in general.)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 07:19:34 PM »
the rules of the forum frown on asking, discussing or speculating why

I've always thought this was very strange -- to me it makes more sense to explain what the problem was so it does not keep happening.

Ours is not to reason why, ours is just to do or die just keep posting :D

Love! We just discussed this poem in class!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Miss Charlotte

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »
Regarding this, do entire threads get deleted often?

I came back this morning to see what was happening on Balletmom's thread about her daughter and the whole thing was gone! Or am I just looking in the wrong folder?

It's kind of disappointing.

ETA: Scratch this: someone has kindly clarified for me, via PM. If threads get too personal and are upsetting the OP, I agree that it's fair that they are deleted.

I am glad you mentioned this, because I came here looking for exactly this thread. I could see how she would want it deleted, though.

Yes, thank you. I was also looking for it.
"Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop." Gittel Hudnick