Author Topic: Forum Word Filter is working  (Read 61006 times)

Scuba_Dog

Re: Forum Word Filter is working
« Reply #225 on: December 19, 2010, 01:56:57 PM »
I think it's fine the way it is.  Marcel makes a very good point.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #226 on: December 19, 2010, 02:17:08 PM »
Why not just say, "My girlfriend is of one major political party, and my grandmother is of the other..." ?

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #227 on: December 19, 2010, 02:40:40 PM »
Why not just say, "My girlfriend is of one major political party, and my grandmother is of the other..." ?

Cathy beat me to that. 

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #228 on: December 19, 2010, 10:20:47 PM »

That only works if you realize that the filter bleeps out political parties. I usually catch the filter substitutions when I proof-read my posts, but if you're not using any formatting, it would be quite possible to proof-read your message in the input pane without realizing that the filter was changing words. I know of a lot of the common words that the filter changes, but I still get surprised on occasion--it might never occur to a new poster that the names of political parties would be changed beyond recognition.

Jan74

« Reply #229 on: December 19, 2010, 10:27:11 PM »
I find the filtering hilarious most of the time. Like I posted something about comedian Andy "Richard" and it came out Andy wingadigding. The lack of capitalization only made it better.

But yeah, the stuff like ****** makes it a bit hard to keep track of sometimes, so I vote for more funny substitutions.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #230 on: December 19, 2010, 10:28:04 PM »
I haven't run across dingleberries yet.  Are they the two companions of the wingadingdingy, >:D or something else?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #231 on: December 19, 2010, 11:53:43 PM »

I meant it- for people unfamiliar with the world filter/forum rules.

But then again, they can edit when they see dots.
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #232 on: December 19, 2010, 11:57:21 PM »
I haven't run across dingleberries yet.  Are they the two companions of the wingadingdingy, >:D or something else?

The "top part" of a wingadingdingy; also used as an insult word.
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #233 on: December 20, 2010, 12:23:15 AM »

That only works if you realize that the filter bleeps out political parties. I usually catch the filter substitutions when I proof-read my posts, but if you're not using any formatting, it would be quite possible to proof-read your message in the input pane without realizing that the filter was changing words. I know of a lot of the common words that the filter changes, but I still get surprised on occasion--it might never occur to a new poster that the names of political parties would be changed beyond recognition.

A quick review of the forum rules (which I would hope a new member would check out before posting anyway) would shed some light on why those words are filtered.

IMO, the way they (Ehelldame/Mods) have it set up seems to work pretty well.   

If someone has a question that involves politics in a way that *can* be discussed here, I think using Cathy's suggestion is the perfect way to go. 

Winston Churchill

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #234 on: December 20, 2010, 08:57:31 AM »

A quick review of the forum rules (which I would hope a new member would check out before posting anyway) would shed some light on why those words are filtered.

IMO, the way they (Ehelldame/Mods) have it set up seems to work pretty well.  

If someone has a question that involves politics in a way that *can* be discussed here, I think using Cathy's suggestion is the perfect way to go.  

The fact that we're talking about how to "get around" the issue of not being able to name political parties shows that posters who know the rules find it necessary to mention them sometimes, even if we don't need to specify which party. Therefore, I assume that a new poster might try to talk about an issue that involves people being of different political parties (without being a political discussion) and not realize that the party names will be filtered in that way. As I said, it's easy to catch during proof-reading, if you always proof-read in the preview pane rather than just proof-reading in the input pane.

I'm not saying a change is needed for this instance, I'm just pointing out that Cathy's solution only works for someone who realizes that the names are being censored. (And personally, if I were a new poster and saw that the names were asterisked out entirely, I would be very hesitant to try to "get around" the issue at all; having the filter change both to "a particular political party" would make it clear that it's discussing particular parties that is not allowed, but referring to the fact that someone is part of a political party is ok as long as you stay away from specifics.)

ETA: Many of the other filters already tend to indicate what was problematic about the original test. Words that are ok but produce undesirable ads stay readable, but are changed to avoid the ads. Curse words either get changed to silly stuff (clearly implying that you're not allowed to use "serious" curses here) or to phrases like "Ooh! I used a bad word!" (even more clearly stating that such language is not acceptable here). The political parties and sexual orientations just get asterisked out without any indication of whether it's just the specific words (i.e. specific parties/orientations) which cannot be mentioned, or whether referring to the subject at all is banned.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:02:45 AM by Onyx_TKD »

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #235 on: December 20, 2010, 09:51:53 AM »
The fact that we're talking about how to "get around" the issue of not being able to name political parties shows that posters who know the rules find it necessary to mention them sometimes, even if we don't need to specify which party. Therefore, I assume that a new poster might try to talk about an issue that involves people being of different political parties (without being a political discussion) and not realize that the party names will be filtered in that way. As I said, it's easy to catch during proof-reading, if you always proof-read in the preview pane rather than just proof-reading in the input pane.

I'm not saying a change is needed for this instance, I'm just pointing out that Cathy's solution only works for someone who realizes that the names are being censored. (And personally, if I were a new poster and saw that the names were asterisked out entirely, I would be very hesitant to try to "get around" the issue at all; having the filter change both to "a particular political party" would make it clear that it's discussing particular parties that is not allowed, but referring to the fact that someone is part of a political party is ok as long as you stay away from specifics.)

ETA: Many of the other filters already tend to indicate what was problematic about the original test. Words that are ok but produce undesirable ads stay readable, but are changed to avoid the ads. Curse words either get changed to silly stuff (clearly implying that you're not allowed to use "serious" curses here) or to phrases like "Ooh! I used a bad word!" (even more clearly stating that such language is not acceptable here). The political parties and sexual orientations just get asterisked out without any indication of whether it's just the specific words (i.e. specific parties/orientations) which cannot be mentioned, or whether referring to the subject at all is banned.

I don't see anyone trying to get around it. 

Again, I think if a person reads the forum rules there will be no confusion about why political parties come up the way they do.  There is no reason why someones political affiliation will be completely relevant to a question here.  If it was, this is probably not the right forum for the question. 

I think the system works fine the way it is.  Of course if Ehelldame decides to change it, I have no problem with that but for now, imo, it works perfectly fine the way it is.  JMO, YMMV.
Winston Churchill

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #236 on: December 23, 2010, 09:50:41 AM »
Seems kinda ridiculous. Circumventing the word filter is prohibited anyway, and it's not like 'relationship' is so hard to read with the '@' in there.
Actually, I disagree. Especially with the word "relationship". It is a fairly common occurrence for someone to post a link which contains the word relationship. The link then becomes ineffective because the "a" has changed to an "@" and there is generally quite a bit of confusion for people trying to get to that link (since not everyone realizes what has occurred). I think if there is a better way to get around the relationship- related ads, it would be quite helpful for the posters.
And apparently Ticia has already found an awesome way of making it work and my entire point is moot!

Very cool, Ticia, thanks!

Hey, I just noticed a couple of different thread titles using the words "relationship" and "dating", and the color tags are showing up in the thread title. I don't know if there's any way of fixing that without changing the filter scheme again--is it possible to have thread titles filter in a different way than inside the thread (e.g. go back to using the filter with the @ sign for thread titles, while using the color tags inside)?

It's also possible it's a fluke caused by copying text from elsewhere in the forum--one of the threads is a S/O, so at first I figured the poster might just have copied and pasted the title text; I haven't tested it myself.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 09:52:31 AM by Onyx_TKD »

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #237 on: December 23, 2010, 10:05:54 AM »
Seems kinda ridiculous. Circumventing the word filter is prohibited anyway, and it's not like 'relationship' is so hard to read with the '@' in there.
Actually, I disagree. Especially with the word "relationship". It is a fairly common occurrence for someone to post a link which contains the word relationship. The link then becomes ineffective because the "a" has changed to an "@" and there is generally quite a bit of confusion for people trying to get to that link (since not everyone realizes what has occurred). I think if there is a better way to get around the relationship- related ads, it would be quite helpful for the posters.
And apparently Ticia has already found an awesome way of making it work and my entire point is moot!

Very cool, Ticia, thanks!

Hey, I just noticed a couple of different thread titles using the words "relationship" and "dating", and the color tags are showing up in the thread title. I don't know if there's any way of fixing that without changing the filter scheme again--is it possible to have thread titles filter in a different way than inside the thread (e.g. go back to using the filter with the @ sign for thread titles, while using the color tags inside)?

It's also possible it's a fluke caused by copying text from elsewhere in the forum--one of the threads is a S/O, so at first I figured the poster might just have copied and pasted the title text; I haven't tested it myself.

The software does it automatically, but posters can use the @ spelling themseleves in thread titles to avoid it.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #238 on: April 15, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »
If O M G and W T F are filtered, shouldn't FML be filtered, too?

(Sorry I had to cheat to get around the first two but I didn't know how else to state my case?)

CRUD MONKEYS!, Sweet monkey fritters!