Author Topic: Forum Word Filter is working  (Read 62067 times)

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
Re: Forum Word Filter is working
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2008, 01:54:08 PM »
One filtered word,I don't understand. I found it was filtered when Cathy posted the song about roly-p*o*l*y fish heads. It was also filtered when I talked about P*o*l*y-grip for dentures.

Does it set of a political ad or something? I can't think of any bad connotations thereof, but then maybe I'm naive.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »
Yes, Scritzy, I think it might trigger ads about having multiple and simultaneous romantic relationships.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 02:12:13 PM »
Yes, Scritzy, I think it might trigger ads about having multiple and simultaneous romantic relationships.

Ah! Well, now that I think about it, it would.

Google accepts some weird advertisements sometimes. :P
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 03:35:09 PM »
Similarly, I've recently noticed people writing d e l p h i, with the spaces like that.  What does that word do?

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 03:43:04 PM »
If people know a word is in the filter and deliberately change the spelling, use spaces, whatever in what appears to the mods and me as a purposeful attempt to circumvent the filter, the odds are quite high that they will be banned from this forum.  I don't have a lot of patience or mercy for people who know the rules and disregard them as irrelevant. 

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 12:55:37 AM »
If people know a word is in the filter and deliberately change the spelling, use spaces, whatever in what appears to the mods and me as a purposeful attempt to circumvent the filter, the odds are quite high that they will be banned from this forum.  I don't have a lot of patience or mercy for people who know the rules and disregard them as irrelevant. 

But I thought some of the words (like Scritzy's example above) were only in the filter to prevent weird ads from showing up? Does it mean you can't discuss anything that's in the filter, or you CAN discuss using words in the filter, as long as you let the filter take care of them? Because if you want to talk about (the br-word) dogs, you can't say, "I'm a dog br-word", because it will come out, "I'm a dog irresponsible parent". In that case it actually makes sense to change the spelling, otherwise people get confused.

I don't mean to be contrary, I'm just confused.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 08:57:29 AM »

But I thought some of the words (like Scritzy's example above) were only in the filter to prevent weird ads from showing up? Does it mean you can't discuss anything that's in the filter, or you CAN discuss using words in the filter, as long as you let the filter take care of them? Because if you want to talk about (the br-word) dogs, you can't say, "I'm a dog br-word", because it will come out, "I'm a dog irresponsible parent". In that case it actually makes sense to change the spelling, otherwise people get confused.

I don't mean to be contrary, I'm just confused.

I'm talking about people who know that certain vulgar or obscene words and phrases are filtered yet they continue to use them as vulgarities, only with variations, to get around the word filter.   "Bre*der", in the context of a discussion about mating animals as a profession is not using the word vulgarly.

I don't know about anyone else but I am sick of how much garbage spews from people's mouths in RL.  I'm so disgusted with this season's Top Chef candidates because the lowlife vulgarity that issues from many of their mouths needs to be repeatedly bleeped out.  I'm tired of hearing it in real life and I have no intention of reading it in here.   I refuse to facilitate someone's inability to curtail their profanities by winking at cutesy circumventionsof the word filter.

faithlessone

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 10:07:06 AM »
Similarly, I've recently noticed people writing d e l p h i, with the spaces like that.  What does that word do?

Delphooey

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »
Ok another member and I were wondering about this... we've seen "crud monkeys" showing up a lot recently and couldn't figure out if it's a filter thing or not?

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »

Delphooey

No, I meant, why is it filtered?  I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »

Delphooey

I think that has to do with mentioning other websites?

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »

Delphooey

I think that has to do with mentioning other websites?

That was the site where a previous incarnation of the board fell apart by some very ugly behavior from some posters.  More than that brings up bad memories, so we just generally try not to talk about it. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »
How ironic is it that we are trying out all the filter substitutions in a thread dedicated to not circumventing the filter? :)

Satyress

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2008, 06:20:24 PM »
A third meaning for "irresponsible parent" is a slang term for a heterosexual person, and can be derogatory.

ETA: I didn't try to get around the filter for the "irresponsible parent" word - but hopefully you all know the word I mean. I'm not going to edit and put * or anything else in the original word.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 06:22:33 PM by Xaji »

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2008, 12:56:44 AM »
That was the site where a previous incarnation of the board fell apart by some very ugly behavior from some posters.  More than that brings up bad memories, so we just generally try not to talk about it. 

It's not that the board fell apart, I think Jeanne had been wanting to have the board on her own site for a long time, and was finally able to. The second incarnation looked a lot like the Del** board but it was complex and kept crashing the server, so she decided to use this version of a forum.

Yes, I have been on that long.  ;D

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)