Author Topic: Forum Word Filter is working  (Read 59249 times)

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
Re: Forum Word Filter is working
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2008, 10:58:34 AM »
My God!  No way!

Sorry, I was trying to figure out Crud Monkeys!!!!  It's driving me insane.

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2008, 03:34:14 PM »
That was the site where a previous incarnation of the board fell apart by some very ugly behavior from some posters.  More than that brings up bad memories, so we just generally try not to talk about it. 

It's not that the board fell apart, I think Jeanne had been wanting to have the board on her own site for a long time, and was finally able to. The second incarnation looked a lot like the Del** board but it was complex and kept crashing the server, so she decided to use this version of a forum.

Yes, I have been on that long.  ;D

I didn't mean that it wasn't good in the long run.  I just thought that the fighting at the end is why that particular word is filtered. 

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2008, 04:26:52 PM »
That was the site where a previous incarnation of the board fell apart by some very ugly behavior from some posters.  More than that brings up bad memories, so we just generally try not to talk about it. 

It's not that the board fell apart, I think Jeanne had been wanting to have the board on her own site for a long time, and was finally able to. The second incarnation looked a lot like the Del** board but it was complex and kept crashing the server, so she decided to use this version of a forum.

Yes, I have been on that long.  ;D

I didn't mean that it wasn't good in the long run.  I just thought that the fighting at the end is why that particular word is filtered. 

Thanks!  I've only been around since the end of 2007 so thankfully I missed all that.

You know I probably wouldn't have noticed at all, except I saw 2-3 separate posts in one day that wrote either d e l p h i  or d*lphi, etc., all in ways that made perfect sense in their context and had nothing to do with another board (like "br*eder when discussing animal husbandry).

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
I just thought that the fighting at the end is why that particular word is filtered. 

Actually, I didn't much notice the fighting, having been too busy actually discussing etiquette.  ;D I think the whole thing was made out to be much worse than it was, or the true extent went on behind the scenes. All I remember is getting annoyed when the server kept crashing after the changeover. I do know some posters from the Del* board refused to migrate over and started their own forum but I don't know if it still exists.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2008, 06:06:05 PM »
I just found a load of poopadities in my front yard.

Ok not what I was going for but interesting none the less.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 06:09:34 PM by LiveLoveLearn »

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2008, 09:32:10 PM »
I just thought that the fighting at the end is why that particular word is filtered. 

Actually, I didn't much notice the fighting, having been too busy actually discussing etiquette.  ;D I think the whole thing was made out to be much worse than it was, or the true extent went on behind the scenes. All I remember is getting annoyed when the server kept crashing after the changeover. I do know some posters from the Del* board refused to migrate over and started their own forum but I don't know if it still exists.

There wasn't much fuss on the actual board, so you wouldn't have noticed much if you weren't paying attention to that stuff. The fighting behind the scenes was brutal. I think 'internet rage' took over some people's brains.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 09:49:30 PM »
I'm sorry if this had been already answered, but why is relationships ending up with a @ in it? 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 09:50:46 PM »
I'm sorry if this had been already answered, but why is rel@tionships ending up with a @ in it? 

There have been some unsavory dating service ads cropping up lately, so my assumption is that the words dating and relationship were added to the filter to prevent those ads from being generated.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 09:56:19 PM »
I'm sorry if this had been already answered, but why is rel@tionships ending up with a @ in it? 

There have been some unsavory d@ting service ads cropping up lately, so my assumption is that the words d@ting and rel@tionship were added to the filter to prevent those ads from being generated.

EHellDame addressed this in another thread.  It is a result of the d@ting ads, but for now it's experimental, to see if it makes a difference.  She may be blocking other words if those don't work.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 10:05:53 PM »
As annoying as I find the word filter I'm taking this opportunity to avoid getting caught in it.  Some of the substitutions are so far from anything I say I'd rather not have them in my posts.

Back when I was in broadcasting school they taught us to eradicate profanity from our speech so it doesn't come out under stress.  I think that was a good policy and that profane words are overused today in most aspects of life.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2008, 02:29:51 AM »
As annoying as I find the word filter I'm taking this opportunity to avoid getting caught in it.  Some of the substitutions are so far from anything I say I'd rather not have them in my posts.

LOL!  That's the whole point!  By substituting ridiculous phrases for profanity, the hope is the author refrains from using those words lest he/she also look ridiculous. 

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2008, 02:33:28 AM »

LOL!  That's the whole point!  By substituting ridiculous phrases for profanity, the hope is the author refrains from using those words lest he/she also look ridiculous. 

I avoid getting caught in the filter myself, but I gotta say I love reading the posts that do get caught.  I get a good giggle out of most of those words :)

CakeBeret

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2008, 02:34:52 AM »
I have to say...I love the filter's substitution of "dingdangity"! I actually use that world IRL.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2008, 03:23:07 AM »

I remember being completely nonplussed when someone wrote something and it came out like, "And then he decided that he would ooo, I tried to get around the filter with a nasty word". There was no way a person could even figure out from the context what the nasty word was. To this day I still don't know! But it sure was funny.

I remember another thread where someone was talking about a friend who was a *******. And you couldn't figure that out from the context either. A Canadian? (Our Highlander list's substitute for a word we weren't allowed to use.) I eventually figured it out after reading another thread. But why is gay allowed (albeit with asterisks) and lesbian isn't? It gets confusing.

The best was still when someone spoke an entire post about being a "dog irresponsible parent". I was laughing the whole time.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

iambe

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2008, 04:14:45 AM »

I remember being completely nonplussed when someone wrote something and it came out like, "And then he decided that he would ooo, I tried to get around the filter with a nasty word". There was no way a person could even figure out from the context what the nasty word was. To this day I still don't know! But it sure was funny.

I remember another thread where someone was talking about a friend who was a *******. And you couldn't figure that out from the context either. A Canadian? (Our Highlander list's substitute for a word we weren't allowed to use.) I eventually figured it out after reading another thread. But why is g*a*y allowed (albeit with asterisks) and ******** isn't? It gets confusing.

The best was still when someone spoke an entire post about being a "dog irresponsible parent". I was laughing the whole time.

That one confuses me too. It makes it harder to read those posts, and it seems a little unfair. If there is a term for men who have romantic love for each other, there should be one for women as well. And is there one for people who love both genders? (ETA: oh, apparently not! Jeanne, I removed the word so that it wouldn't cause problems with ads, but you may want to find a term for it. Perhaps "people who like to walk on both sides of the street"? ;)) These are real world issues that do come up for discussion and I think it's important to be able to talk about them.