Author Topic: Forum Word Filter is working  (Read 62020 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Forum Word Filter is working
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2008, 04:26:19 AM »
LOL!  That's the whole point!  By substituting ridiculous phrases for profanity, the hope is the author refrains from using those words lest he/she also look ridiculous. 

I remember being completely nonplussed when someone wrote something and it came out like, "And then he decided that he would ooo, I tried to get around the filter with a nasty word". There was no way a person could even figure out from the context what the nasty word was. To this day I still don't know! But it sure was funny.

I remember another thread where someone was talking about a friend who was a *******. And you couldn't figure that out from the context either. A Canadian? (Our Highlander list's substitute for a word we weren't allowed to use.) I eventually figured it out after reading another thread. But why is g*a*y allowed (albeit with asterisks) and ******** isn't? It gets confusing.

The best was still when someone spoke an entire post about being a "dog irresponsible parent". I was laughing the whole time.

That one confuses me too. It makes it harder to read those posts, and it seems a little unfair. If there is a term for men who have romantic love for each other, there should be one for women as well. And is there one for people who love both genders? (ETA: oh, apparently not! Jeanne, I removed the word so that it wouldn't cause problems with ads, but you may want to find a term for it. Perhaps "people who like to walk on both sides of the street"? ;)) These are real world issues that do come up for discussion and I think it's important to be able to talk about them.

Some words cause very innapropriate banner ads to appear. The asterisks are automatically added into gay to prevent those ads from popping up. It isn't typed out that way.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2008, 04:29:12 AM »
LOL!  That's the whole point!  By substituting ridiculous phrases for profanity, the hope is the author refrains from using those words lest he/she also look ridiculous. 

I remember being completely nonplussed when someone wrote something and it came out like, "And then he decided that he would ooo, I tried to get around the filter with a nasty word". There was no way a person could even figure out from the context what the nasty word was. To this day I still don't know! But it sure was funny.

I remember another thread where someone was talking about a friend who was a *******. And you couldn't figure that out from the context either. A Canadian? (Our Highlander list's substitute for a word we weren't allowed to use.) I eventually figured it out after reading another thread. But why is g*a*y allowed (albeit with asterisks) and ******** isn't? It gets confusing.

The best was still when someone spoke an entire post about being a "dog irresponsible parent". I was laughing the whole time.

That one confuses me too. It makes it harder to read those posts, and it seems a little unfair. If there is a term for men who have romantic love for each other, there should be one for women as well. And is there one for people who love both genders? (ETA: oh, apparently not! Jeanne, I removed the word so that it wouldn't cause problems with ads, but you may want to find a term for it. Perhaps "people who like to walk on both sides of the street"? ;)) These are real world issues that do come up for discussion and I think it's important to be able to talk about them.

Some words cause very innapropriate banner ads to appear. The asterisks are automatically added into g*a*y to prevent those ads from popping up. It isn't typed out that way.

I think the confusion is because there's no equivalent for women.  It's simply asterisked out.  I'm not sure why, perhaps the ad companies have found ways to circumvent the filter (haven't we all gotten spam email for V1agra?), or pick out part of the word, and haven't bothered to do that with gay.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2008, 06:07:22 AM »

I didn't know there was a distinction. I'm only half gay and a woman, though. Maybe i am wrong.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2008, 06:15:27 AM »

I didn't know there was a distinction. I'm only half g*a*y and a woman, though. Maybe i am wrong.

Well, sometimes it's just more convenient to use the "L word."  Wow, it feels so strange typing that, but I know the filter will catch anything else.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2008, 07:37:59 AM »
Well, sometimes it's just more convenient to use the "L word."  Wow, it feels so strange typing that, but I know the filter will catch anything else.

It could also cause confusion. For example, if I type, "My cousin is gay," most people will think it's a guy, whereas if I typed, "My cousin is a (L-word)," it's clear she's a woman.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2008, 01:13:36 PM »

I didn't know there was a distinction. I'm only half g*a*y and a woman, though. Maybe i am wrong.

Hubby said, one day when I was trying to figure out a way to say it on the forum, that I should use half g*a*y woman, but I told him know one would understand!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2008, 01:20:03 PM »

Hubby said, one day when I was trying to figure out a way to say it on the forum, that I should use half g*a*y woman, but I told him know one would understand!

Hee hee ... i started using it because a friend wanted to ask me a question that had to do with that sort of thing, and said, Hey, hobish, you're half gay, what do you think of...
I thought it was kind of funny.

~Gaslight Anthem

Asharah

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2008, 01:19:38 AM »
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 01:21:17 AM by Asharah »
Asharah

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2008, 07:14:24 AM »
Why had Dat-ing become d@ting? http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=26281.0

To try to get rid of the dating service banner ads.

Elle

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2008, 09:54:45 AM »

That was probably me. I'm very opinionated when it comes to getting a purebred dog.  ::) ;D

NotCinderell

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2008, 08:11:19 PM »
See, I think the best thing to do is just resort to Yiddish when we need to say those words.  Tushie is still not filtered.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2008, 08:43:45 PM »
See, I think the best thing to do is just resort to Yiddish when we need to say those words.  Tushie is still not filtered.

Schmuck probably isn't either.

iambe

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2008, 09:00:43 PM »
Nu? This we can do I think, but are there such words as we need? Schmuck, yes, Schtup, certainly, Faygela we can use. But why should we not have such a word for a woman who loves another woman romantically?
Oy vey, loving Yiddish like I do it gives me tsooris to admit I don't think it will solve all of our problems. But Jeanne, we could use it in the filter to replace these other words? It would be such a blessing to keep the language alive.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2008, 12:08:12 AM »
Sounds like a good idea but I won't be able to pick out the New Yorkers anymore!  What a pain in the tuchas.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2008, 05:17:38 AM »

But why should we not have such a word for a woman who loves another woman romantically?

Because the use of adjectives and other identifiers can describe it just as well, and more creatively or plainly as the need arises; without having terrible banner ads appear.

~Gaslight Anthem