Author Topic: Forum Word Filter is working  (Read 61002 times)

iambe

Re: Forum Word Filter is working
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »

But why should we not have such a word for a woman who loves another woman romantically?

Because the use of adjectives and other identifiers can describe it just as well, and more creatively or plainly as the need arises; without having terrible banner ads appear.

Oh yes, I know. That's what I usually do. I was just practicing my Yiddish sentence structure. "I shouldn't answer a question with another question?" kind of thing. It's easier if you can imagine the accent. I hear my grandmother's voice, but you might not have that sort of reference.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2008, 02:26:35 PM »

Hee hee hee, i'm sorry i didn't catch on to that.  :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

katemonster

« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2008, 06:35:18 PM »
See, I think the best thing to do is just resort to Yiddish when we need to say those words.  Tushie is still not filtered.
Nu? This we can do I think, but are there such words as we need? Schmuck, yes, Schtup, certainly, Faygela we can use. But why should we not have such a word for a woman who loves another woman romantically?
Oy vey, loving Yiddish like I do it gives me tsooris to admit I don't think it will solve all of our problems. But Jeanne, we could use it in the filter to replace these other words? It would be such a blessing to keep the language alive.

What's faygela?

I wonder if any of the colleges around here offer Yiddish classes. That would be fun.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »
Will's friend on Will and Grace qualifies as a faygela.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2008, 06:58:10 PM »
Mel Brooks used the word in "Men in Tights"

Little John and Robin were "man hugging" after the quarterstaff "fight" and Brooks is playing the "friar Tuck" type, and asked if they were Faygela.

They split quickly doing the "no no not me thing"

Clear as mud?
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

iambe

« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2008, 10:37:33 PM »

Little John and Robin were "man hugging" after the quarterstaff "fight" and Brooks is playing the "friar Tuck" type, and asked if they were Faygela.

Clear as mud?
What a great movie! I just bought it on DVD for my collection. I think I might watch it tonight after ANTM. Thanks for the idea!

Elle

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2008, 03:22:15 PM »

Clear as mud?

"We're straight. Just . . . .merry."

NotCinderell

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2008, 10:59:39 AM »
See, I think the best thing to do is just resort to Yiddish when we need to say those words.  Tushie is still not filtered.
Nu? This we can do I think, but are there such words as we need? Schmuck, yes, Schtup, certainly, Faygela we can use. But why should we not have such a word for a woman who loves another woman romantically?
Oy vey, loving Yiddish like I do it gives me tsooris to admit I don't think it will solve all of our problems. But Jeanne, we could use it in the filter to replace these other words? It would be such a blessing to keep the language alive.

What's faygela?

I wonder if any of the colleges around here offer Yiddish classes. That would be fun.

Literally, a faygela is a songbird.  However, it's used to mean a gay man.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2008, 12:24:21 PM »
I thought it was more specific than that; that it meant an effeminate one.

Oy, vey.  I guess I should like to learn something new every day.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »
I thought it was more specific than that; that it meant an effeminate one.

In South Africa they use the nasty term "moffie" to mean an effeminate gay man. A gay friend of mine told me he'd rather be called a fag*ot than a moffie.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Etikate

« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2008, 11:43:15 PM »
Perhaps the word sexua1 should be added to the list of words that are filtered. I just used it in a post expecting it to show up in modified form, but it showed up unedited.

Though, I'll be "filtering" myself now, I apologize if we get any interesting ads showing up  :-[

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 02:25:53 AM by Etikate »

T'Mar of Vulcan

• Super Hero!
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2008, 01:57:03 AM »
I have to say, I got so annoyed by adverts when I was answering Star Trek trivia on Faceb00k that I did what I always swore I'd never do and started using F!refox. And it is AMAZING! Not only does it block the ads, but it doesn't even load them (my usual browser, 0pera, would still load stuff like pictures that it was meant to block, it just wouldn't let you see them) so the pages load MUCH faster. Now E-h3ll's pages load much more quickly, and no more stupid adverts!

All hail F!irefox!!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2008, 07:06:24 AM »
Not only does it block the ads, but it doesn't even load them (my usual browser, 0pera, would still load stuff like pictures that it was meant to block, it just wouldn't let you see them) so the pages load MUCH faster. Now E-h3ll's pages load much more quickly, and no more stupid adverts!

Unfortunately, those ads are necessary for e-hell - servers are expensive.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• Super Hero!
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »

I know, but since I'm immune to ads I never clicked on them anyway. I didn't believe how much they slowed down page loading until they weren't there anymore - zoom!

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2008, 10:43:47 AM »

I know, but since I'm immune to ads I never clicked on them anyway. I didn't believe how much they slowed down page loading until they weren't there anymore - zoom!

I have Flamingvixen, and while it does block pop ups, it doesn't block the banner ads/Google text ads here. My pages still load fast, so I can't imagine the ads are slowing my load time any.