Author Topic: Tales from the back of the fridge and other nastiness....  (Read 3333 times)

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
Re: Tales from the back of the fridge and other nastiness....
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »
Leftover refried beans were forgotten in the back of the fridge.

My daughter and her friend took the dog and left the house until the odor dissipated.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 10:16:01 PM »
I wish I could say I just chucked the whole container - but it was in my good Tupperware bowl!!!  I had to brave it.

I think I should file a complaint with someone - I think my fridge is supposed to be self-cleaning.

no. Wait.  That's my oven.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 10:21:05 PM »
My husband stumbled on a rather ingenious solution for old food in tupperware.

Put the whole thing in the freezer. Once it is frozen, run the container under hot water, just enough to loosen the contents, and dump straight in the trash. Take the trash out immediately.

Wash container as usual, but very quickly.

He says it worked like a charm.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 10:45:42 PM »
Renters moved out - Phoenix, Arizona in the summer time - temps at night close to normal human body temp - daytime temps would have a human in the hospital being bathed in ice water to keep their blood from boiling in their brain. 

Also known as HOT!

Found a bologna sandwich in a plastic bag in the (no electricity) fridge UNDER the veggie drawer. 

Gray, green, fuzzy slime.........thankfully, the plastic bag's ziplock seal was intact.

VorGuy bought a bag of potatoes "on sale" at something like 75% OFF the usual price.  In spring.  In Houston, Texas - same temperature range but with higher humidity being on the Gulf (of Mexico) Coast.  Potatoes stored in unusual location (i.e. not where VorFemme puts potatoes) and at a time when it is too hot to cook (unless microwave cooking is the method of choice) potatoes so that they can be eaten. 

I was mopping, sweeping, cleaning under the sink, and looking for the source of the truly horrible odor.

Yep, splodey fermented potatoes - under the counter stove top instead of the bottom of the pantry or under the sink (why I was trained to keep them there, I do not know - I just know that is where my mother usually ended up keeping them when I was growing up and we moved a lot due to Dad's job).  I also grew up having the stove and oven being combined into ONE appliance - so the only thing kept in the stove was..........whatever was being cooked (gas stove, gas oven, and the "drawer" at the bottom was the broiler - no storage space). 

With a wall oven and a counter stove top (first time we've lived in a house with that set up) - I keep pots, pans, and other METAL cooking utensils under the stove and oven.  Nothing that the nearby heat source would cause to deteriorate faster than it needs to...........

But VorGuy keeps things where they make sense in HIS mind and he was running that kitchen for a year before I gave up on "For Sale By Owner" and insisted that we hire a real estate agent (which stories are not for this thread - but have been posted elsewhere in a topical thread).  Taking over "his" kitchen and setting it up to be "my" kitchen was.......interesting.

Not to mention that there was a certain amount of cleaning involved, tossing of expired food items (while he was away so he couldn't tell me that I was wasting "good food"), and the purchase & installation of additional shelving and pantry organizers..........

There was also some fuzzy sour cream in the fridge - so I've seen that one, too.

I've also had the freezer break down while I had strep throat - I cleaned it up about a week later.......in West Texas heat (also about normal human body temp or just under it) during that week, it was NOT a job that I welcomed.  Although having your sense of smell diminished by illness made the job slightly less horrible............maybe 5% (I was wishing that I was still too sick to tackle it in short order) but remembered that it would only get worse - as that was APRIL and May would only be hotter..........

At least I have never run into a puddle of squirrel.

I have seen a mummified cat (crawlspace under the house) though - the smell was bad, but I ran into worse a few years later (that broken freezer after five days of festering in the heat was the worst with splodey potatoes a very close second).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:03:41 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sneezy

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 11:32:12 PM »
My husband stumbled on a rather ingenious solution for old food in tupperware.

Put the whole thing in the freezer. Once it is frozen, run the container under hot water, just enough to loosen the contents, and dump straight in the trash. Take the trash out immediately.

Wash container as usual, but very quickly.

He says it worked like a charm.

Yes, this!  I even make sure trash bag is right by the sink to further reduce any contact with the ookiness.

Kaymyth

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 12:21:47 AM »
We occasionally mummify strawberries.  Apparently we can't eat through the container quickly enough, and they go 'off', and before you know it, they're dry and wrinkly.

Far more disturbing, though, is what happens in our compost bucket if we forget to empty it out into the outside bin RIGHT AFTER having artichokes.  The leafy remains of steamed artichokes can grow an entire UNIVERSE of fuzz overnight.

JadeAngel

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 12:55:20 AM »
I recently moved house and when we were cleaning out my freezer I found a tupperware container of fish jambalaya, which I had stored and forgotten about several months ago.

We were tossing up whether or not to clean it out when my mother in her infinite wisdom said 'How bad could it possibly be?' and opened the container.

??? :-[  :o :P  :-X

Needless to say the lid went back on and we gave it a military burial...

Molebert

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 02:40:48 AM »
A thermos of hot chocolate from a hike. We thought we'd emptied the backpack and stored it away. 4 months later we went looking for the thermos, found it and opened it to see if it was empty  :-X :-X :-X

That was 20 years ago and I still remember that horrible, horrible smell  :'(

Synergy

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 04:07:37 AM »
I once found some forgotten Tupperware in the back of the fridge.  I'm not sure what was in it, but I could tell that whatever was in the container was larger than what I'd originally put in it.   

Needless to say I threw the container out without opening it.  And by "threw it out", I mean I removed it from the house and put it in the garbage can outside, with the lid sealed firmly shut.

The CDC would have been proud.

CakeEater

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 05:46:12 AM »
I currently have a half-full container of cream in the back of my fridge that is completely frosted over. And the frost mound is now growing. I'll have to get to it before it takes over the whole fridge, I guess.

blewellyn

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 05:47:49 AM »
The Bundy's stove and fridge should have been in "avocado", I think. Or that 70s yellow color-- canary?

Harvest gold.  I had one.  And a matching stove and dishwasher.  I wuz trendy! <heh>  My mother had dark brown appliances from the 60s.

B

Ygraine

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 06:15:11 AM »
 My sister found a fridge magnet which read, "If it walks out of the refrigerator, let it go", and presented it to our mother.  We used to call my mom's fridge "The Labratory".   

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 07:35:15 AM »
tossing of expired food items (while he was away so he couldn't tell me that I was wasting "good food"),

We must have the same guy; I told him that if it has to be shaved to eat it, out it goes!  ;D

I did find a green quail not to long ago. Lovely shade of green, too.
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 08:15:18 AM »
When I find stuff like that, I don't bother even opening it.  I just chuck the whole container.  It's easier on me and my super sniffer.

Yup! Me too!

Thank goodness for whoever invented Glad containers! I use those and I'm not out a bunch of money when I have to toss some.

worst thing was probably some ham and beans that I had forgot about. I couldn't eat ham and beans for a while because the smell was so gross.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

squashedfrog

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 08:20:45 AM »
Again not this week and not my fridge - my friend had had enough of his housemate not cleaning out his old stuff from the the fridge so took it upon himself to clean it out himself.

Upon reaching the back of the fridge we found a tupperware pot (closed), with a softish whiteish block rich with blue veins of mould running through it, like a good peice of Stilton cheese.   

We were suprised as housemate was dary intolerant, and even more suprised when we opened it and it turned out to be 3 month old corned beef.

Yerrrgghhhhh!!!