Author Topic: Canadian politician rewarded for good etiquette  (Read 1335 times)

Country_Wife

Canadian politician rewarded for good etiquette
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:24:22 AM »
Canada's Environment Minister, Jim Prentice, recently announced his resignation in order to take up a job in the private sector.  http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/885931--jim-prentice-resigns-from-harper-cabinet?bn=1
In Parliament, after the announcement, he was surrounded by well-wishers from both the government and opposition parties. This is unusual, as Canada's Parliament has been quite rancourous in recent years, and there are no rules against interrupting and heckling in Parliament. When Prentice was asked, in a later interview, why he had gained such respect, he credited it to staying focussed on the issues, not the people. He said that whenever he was tempted to make a personal remark, he asked himself what his 13-year-old daughter would react, if she was in the visitor's gallery and heard someone else say that about him.
Here's your hat, what's your hurry?

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Canadian politician rewarded for good etiquette
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »
That's a really nice idea- I wish more politicians would do it.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 05:52:52 AM »
That is a great idea!

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 09:52:51 AM »
This is unusual, as Canada's Parliament has been quite rancourous in recent years, and there are no rules against interrupting and heckling in Parliament.
That surprises me because I think the Canadians are so polite in general. 

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 02:46:15 AM »
This is unusual, as Canada's Parliament has been quite rancourous in recent years, and there are no rules against interrupting and heckling in Parliament.
That surprises me because I think the Canadians are so polite in general. 
Oh, we are. Until Parliment is in session. We've had some pretty poor behaviour in Parliment over the years, which is why Mr. Prentice's attitude is so refreshing. :)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.