Author Topic: A true diplomat  (Read 1503 times)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
A true diplomat
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:47:04 PM »
This involves a political figure. I'm going to name her (this is the "rich and famous" forum), but I trust my fellow e-hellions not to turn this into a discussion of the politics. (Mods, if I'm in forbidden territory even bringing this up, feel free to delete. I just thought it was too good not to share.)

This afternoon I heard a radio interview with Condoleezza Rice, former U.S. Secretary of State. It took place in front of a live audience. Fairly early on in the interview, a woman in the audience started yelling at her. Since it *was* radio, I don't know what was done with the heckler (I hesitate to call her that, since hecklers tend to be jokers and she was serious) -- whether she was ejected or just shushed.

In any event, once it was quiet again, Dr. Rice said (a paraphrase because I don't have a phonographic memory), "Now that's why I'm glad to be an American! Because in America that woman is free to safely say whatever she wants!"

I think both sides of the aisle can agree that this was a *very* classy response.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 07:56:08 PM by baglady »
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Ms_Shell

Re: A true diplomat
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:55:01 PM »
I wonder if Dr. Rice is a secret e-hellion?  ;D

That's a great, non-confrontational response.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

KimberlyRose

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 10:03:42 PM »
Very nicely done.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:12:20 PM »
Class and Grace.  She has always shown a great deal of both.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 10:47:43 AM »
Very diplomatic indeed :)
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

JacklynHyde

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 06:51:01 PM »
Agree or disagree with her politics and policies, one cannot say ill of her civility and poise.

KaosP

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:17:20 AM »
Good for her! I'm glad she didn't just ignore the situation, she acknowledged it and in a very classy way.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 03:50:42 PM »
baglady wrote:

"In any event, once it was quiet again, Dr. Rice said (a paraphrase because I don't have a phonographic memory), "Now that's why I'm glad to be an American! Because in America that woman is free to safely say whatever she wants!""

On the flip side, she was ejected or shushed  ;) ...but I'll still give Ms. Rice credit for pointing out what should be obvious to all Americans.

Virg

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
baglady wrote:

"In any event, once it was quiet again, Dr. Rice said (a paraphrase because I don't have a phonographic memory), "Now that's why I'm glad to be an American! Because in America that woman is free to safely say whatever she wants!""

On the flip side, she was ejected or shushed  ;) ...but I'll still give Ms. Rice credit for pointing out what should be obvious to all Americans.

Virg

Yes, she was ejected or shushed because the audience came to hear Dr. Rice speak, not the heckler.  Sounds like it was well handled.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 07:27:55 PM »
baglady wrote:

Virg

But not tazed. ;)