Author Topic: Some folks don't know what's coming out of their mouths  (Read 8203 times)

Marbles

• I'm lost
Some folks don't know what's coming out of their mouths
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:18:59 PM »
How exciting that this new area is here! I just had an experience recently that fits in quite nicely.

Mr. Good and I were out shopping for a new couch. We walked into one store and had a salesman descend on us. One of the first things he said was that the saleslady had commented that she liked my hair. A moment later, she arrived to tell me the same thing, for which I thanked her.

Then the salesman proceeded to tell me that I should keep singles in my pocket so that I could tip anyone that complemented my hair. He was going on and on to the point that I realized that he probably had no idea what was coming out of his mouth. At least, I hope not.

Since I didn't want to engage in a discussion about the merits of tipping people who complement me, (and what would I say to that, besides there is no chance that is ever going to happen?) I let him wind down and went about my business.

CeeBee

• Lipstick Addict
Re: Some folks don't know what's coming out of their mouths
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:59:20 PM »
Evil CeeBee would tell him she used all her singles tipping the pole dancers at the strip club at lunchtime.

Just to see him go  :o

Yeah, silence (with a vaguely amused are-you-kidding-me expression and a raised eyebrow) is your best bet.
There is no tetanus shot for when reality bites you in the bottom...

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:05:19 PM »
Then the salesman proceeded to tell me that I should keep singles in my pocket so that I could tip anyone that complemented my hair. He was going on and on to the point that I realized that he probably had no idea what was coming out of his mouth.

A clear case of putting the mouth in gear without engaging the brain first!

At least you could console yourself by thinking your hair looks so good that people are going to be complimenting you all the time and you probably can't afford to look so-o-o good!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:54:44 AM by Midnight Kitty »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »
This happened a few years ago, but silence was the most logic response to this person.

There was a woman who used to work at the same place I did, and she was a know it all, in a big way. I was in our lounge with 2 other people who were probably way more computer literate than I am, and her. Of course she places herself in our conversation, nothing unusual there, and proceeds to tell us there is more than one internet. I think I looked at her like she was nuts, and said, "What?, there is only one internet."

"No there is more than one internet." and she proceeds to rattle off a bunch of different providers, convinced they each have their own internet.

We got up and left, never saying another word, because we would have appeared more "brilliant" than she, had we continued.

tabby1

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:48:44 PM »
I've been asked some crazy questions and heard some very strange comments and quite agree that a lot of people don't give any thought to what they say.

My husband, and I, were shopping for a mattress and the furniture store salesman asked "Who is going to sleep on it?"   We weren't sure we heard right at first.  After a few seconds I said, "We are."
Years ago I was at the grocery store deli and had given the clerk my order.  She filled the order, which consisted of one item, then set the container down behind the high counter and proceeded to wait on the next customer.  I finally got the clerk's attention and asked if that was my container she'd placed behind the counter.  (I hadn't moved from where I'd been standing the entire time.)  The clerk said, "Oh, there you are.  Did you change your face?"  ::) 
I said, "It's the same one I came in with."
Thirty years ago my husband had a lottery ticket that meant he was to be in a televised drawing.  The lottery contestants were asked to be on a local tv show and when the program's representative found out that my husband wanted to surprise me, and hadn't told me that we had a winning ticket, the representative asked that my husband surprise me with the news on the tv program.  My husband told me we were going to the program, with my parents, to see a guest that my mom liked.  My husband was told where we should sit.  While he stepped away, a network page walked up and told me I couldn't sit there.  She never asked my name to check the reservation.  I was about to move when my husband returned and assured the page we had the correct seats.  The surprise was almost ruined.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:02:52 PM »
This happened a few years ago, but silence was the most logic response to this person.

There was a woman who used to work at the same place I did, and she was a know it all, in a big way. I was in our lounge with 2 other people who were probably way more computer literate than I am, and her. Of course she places herself in our conversation, nothing unusual there, and proceeds to tell us there is more than one internet. I think I looked at her like she was nuts, and said, "What?, there is only one internet."

"No there is more than one internet." and she proceeds to rattle off a bunch of different providers, convinced they each have their own internet.

We got up and left, never saying another word, because we would have appeared more "brilliant" than she, had we continued.

No, I'm pretty sure that co-irker is right about that, actually.  Doesn't Nurvingiel have, like, 687 internets or something?  Just sayin'. ;D
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Minmom3

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 12:03:14 AM »
My "favorite" was when my husband and I were in a furniture store shopping for a new bedroom set.

Upon looking at one with a pretty headboard with a wire design, the salesman made a comment about how handy it would be to tie me to it.  :o

We stared at him for a moment, then turned around and walked out of the store.

Well, dearie, that one wins the Stoopit Prize right there....  Wow. 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....