Author Topic: 'If you don't wear your wedding ring you are a woman of questionable character.'  (Read 27194 times)

Please pass the Calgon

ROFL. Been there, had many very similar conversations. Neither Dh or I wear our rings, haven't for years. Occasionally when we're out with friends the jewelry comparisons will start and someone will remark rudely on my bare hands. DH's standard reply is along the lines of

"I know we're married, wife knows we're married.  we're really the only people who need to be concerned about honoring the vows we took. A ring may symbolize commitment but it doesn't make anyone to honor it. Not having rings on doesn't make us any less married or committed".

I go with "17 years, 3 kids, 2 dogs, a mortgage, car payment...trust me, we're plenty married!" or "No rings, our symbol is *high end piece of tech back at the house*".

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
Oh so that explains it!  Everytime I leave the house I am chased by mobs of men making cat calls and trying to tear off my clothes.  I don't have a wedding ring!  I couldn't figure out what was going on, I had no idea I was a floozy and advertising it everytime I left my house.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

JacklynHyde

Oh so that explains it!  Everytime I leave the house I am chased by mobs of men making cat calls and trying to tear off my clothes.  I don't have a wedding ring!  I couldn't figure out what was going on, I had no idea I was a floozy and advertising it everytime I left my house.
Crudbunnies, I need a Monitor Mop after this one!

The only time I've ever heard anyone use the term "floozy" is a former exotic dancer friend of mine (long story) whose stage name was Susie the Floozie.  Okay, maybe I've heard it on "Prairie Home Companion" during a sketch or two, but never in normal conversation!

Jan74

Oh please.  ::) Our rings are so huge and conspicuous that my friends make LOTR jokes about it in a Gollum voice. It is that big and yellow and shiny. And it does NOT stop men from hitting on me, and my husband can attest it does not stop women from hitting on him. Also, my other friend said he never got so many women hitting on him even at stoplights as when he had his son's car seat in the car, visibly.

So... I wish this world where people thought "ring = must not hit on" existed. The only way to repel male advances, even at my age, is to go out in sweatpants. Now that works!  >:D

Kaymyth

Oh please.  ::) Our rings are so huge and conspicuous that my friends make LOTR jokes about it in a Gollum voice. It is that big and yellow and shiny. And it does NOT stop men from hitting on me, and my husband can attest it does not stop women from hitting on him. Also, my other friend said he never got so many women hitting on him even at stoplights as when he had his son's car seat in the car, visibly.

So... I wish this world where people thought "ring = must not hit on" existed. The only way to repel male advances, even at my age, is to go out in sweatpants. Now that works!  >:D

Oooh, yes.  Last weekend, I was wending my way out of a bar & grill type place, when some guy stopped me, fixed me with this sad gaze, and said (LAMENESS ALERT), "I've never kissed a redhead before...."  Ugh.  I flashed him my engagement ring and said, "Sorry, taken!"  He then proceeded to look offended and showed me HIS wedding ring.  Um.  Dude.  Seriously?

I just turned and walked away, as anything that could have possibly come out of my mouth at that point would have been snarktastic more than a little rude.

Jan74

Oooh, yes.  Last weekend, I was wending my way out of a bar & grill type place, when some guy stopped me, fixed me with this sad gaze, and said (LAMENESS ALERT), "I've never kissed a redhead before...."  Ugh.  I flashed him my engagement ring and said, "Sorry, taken!"  He then proceeded to look offended and showed me HIS wedding ring.  Um.  Dude.  Seriously?

I just turned and walked away, as anything that could have possibly come out of my mouth at that point would have been snarktastic more than a little rude.

The standard reply I've gotten to "I'm married" is "That's ok baby, I'm not jealous". I need a vomiting smiley here for that one.   ::)

Kaymyth

The standard reply I've gotten to "I'm married" is "That's ok baby, I'm not jealous". I need a vomiting smiley here for that one.   ::)

Ick! 

There are some people in this world who are in dire need of a shrimp fork to the spleen.  Alas, that would be rude, so we'll just have to practice our silent looks of utter disgust.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
OP, I think you handled it perfectly.  You didn't make a rude comeback and you didn't make a scene.  You just removed yourself from an offensive situation quickly and quietly.  And bonus, you even got your point across to the other woman.

Also, I secretly love the word floozy.  It's one of those words that seems so old-fashioned and anachronistic, it makes me laugh.

I'm not even married, so I don't have a wedding ring...what would she have said about that?  That I need to get married to the first creep who asks me just to have a ring on my finger?

Sadly, she probably does think that.  She sounds like she of the generation/upbringing that a woman should get married ASAP to the first man who asks.

The standard reply I've gotten to "I'm married" is "That's ok baby, I'm not jealous". I need a vomiting smiley here for that one.   ::)

I think that would have me laughing so hard that the "gentleman" in question would eventually slink away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Jan74

The standard reply I've gotten to "I'm married" is "That's ok baby, I'm not jealous". I need a vomiting smiley here for that one.   ::)

I think that would have me laughing so hard that the "gentleman" in question would eventually slink away.

Oh they do slink away with even just an eye roll. That is the one advantage of the kind of guy who hits on married women: they are not persistent at all. The ones that hit on me when I was single kept on it for much longer.

Minmom3

And you know what?  That's just sad.  She must be really in a twist to lash out like that to you, who I don't think she knows well?
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
I regret to advise that my girl cat got the nickname Floozie, and it has been used to often that she will respond to it.

OP, I'm sorry that this lady is having a go at you because of something which someone else is doing.
NE England

Julia S

I wear 7 rings. I'm one of the most virtuous people on this board.

::)

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
So anyone that actually isn't married (and thus doesn't wear a ring is a floozie?

What a nutjob!

I think you handled it admirably.  I probably would have told her that only people of questionable character would think such a thing, then moved far away from her, leaving her to realize that I had just called her own character into question.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
So anyone that actually isn't married (and thus doesn't wear a ring) is a floozie?

What a nutjob!

What's worse is that she's calling the single woman a floozie while her son, the cheater, was clearly led astray by her ringless fingers ::).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Heck I've known some women (or men) to be drawn more to someone wearing a ring than one who isn't.   I figure either 1. they figure either they know that since the person's married there's no worry about a commitment or 2. they really like a challenge.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata