Author Topic: 'If you don't wear your wedding ring you are a woman of questionable character.'  (Read 27867 times)

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
You know...there are so many reasons that I can think of that would stop a person from wearing a wedding ring, and being loose is at the very bottom of the list.

Neither of my grandparents, who are among the most committed and loving people I know, wear rings.  Like the OP, my grandma has sensitive skin and they would cause her to break out.  She does own a wedding set, but does not wear it.  Grandpa worked for 40 years with machinery, and it was downright dangerous to wear one.  He couldn't readjust to it after retirement, and still doesn't wear it.

A couple I know, who are nearly as sickeningly in love as my grandparents (I swear...they each think the other hung the moon), don't wear them either.  Keith works with machinery and Tiffany is pregnant with their first so hers won't fit.

That said, though, I don't know that I would have gotten offended.  It's one of those absurd statements that would just have me rolling my eyes.  I probably would have amused myself by getting her to define floozy or explaiing why it's different for men (i.e. the ones who work on machinery) or what an unmarried woman/man should do to protect one's virtue until such a time as they could rightfully wear a ring. 

Ginderette

• Working on my Social Interaction +1 Skill...
I find that statement highly offensive, ignorant, and at the same time due to my rather warped sarcastic wit, hilarious.  :-[

I have SI issues on wearing anything on my fingers personally, I don't get used to them being worn and in quick time they're taken off. But when I'm not at work I wear lovely no clasp chain mail bracelets my husband made me and each one has a different design (Half Persian, Full Persian, Byzantine and Trizantine - to see what the patterns look like go here.) I find wearing my 'chains' more comfortable to wear and being stainless steel they're more durable then the traditional gold or silver.

If being off the beaten path is being questionable then oh well, so sorry to not fit in such a narrow view of propriety.  >:D

I did get hit on once, and I told him I was married. He was like where's the ring? I showed him my bracelets and told him that's my 'ring', hubby made them. He backed off and wandered somewhere else.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:02:24 AM by Ginderette »
"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." ~ Mark Twain

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
That said, though, I don't know that I would have gotten offended.  It's one of those absurd statements that would just have me rolling my eyes.

I have to admit at first I was really offended, but then I got home and told DH about it and I was just filled with disbelief that people actually say things like that. Then I found out about her son, and realized that her anger over that must have bubbled up and she directed it at me. Now I just feel sorry for her.

Oh totally understandable.  Anyway, it's much easier to say what you would have done when you're not currently in that situation! :)

jmarvellous

I don't ever think about rings on other people's fingers. Perhaps it's a more common assumption among some group (cultural, generational) that woman is a part of? I have no idea.

My very committed boyfriend has worn his grandfather's all-gold military insignia ring for decades. I wonder whether people see the two of us together and assume I'm a 'floozy' because I'm ringless and he's not?

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
Timely, as on Saturday morning I forgot to put my rings back on after my shower.  I noticed at some point yesterday afternoon and mentioned it to Southern Honey.  He asked jokingly if I were going single for the weekend.  I told him I was, but that I'd picked up some hot guy, so it was all good.  Oddly, I didn't suddenly become less married on Saturday morning or more married last night when I put them back on.

magdalena

• Super Hero!
I'm giggling because I just realized that I'm about to be a floozie again tonight. I'm going to the gym, you see, and there's no way I'll wear my rings while lifting weights (my new training programm has me doing all kinds of "tough guy" workout things, thanks to Marianne the trainer who thinks I'm too fit to stick to the lighter stuff). And you know what, I might go to the (mixed) sauna afterwards.
I suppose I'll have to brace myself  :o ::) (yeah, right, the guys there know my hubby, they know we're a couple, probably not that we're married because we never have our rings on  ;D and are very protective of "Magda, the girl who pumps iron")

My mom didn't wear her rings for years, because they were stolen at work and she didn't want to replace them with "just anything". My dad never wore his ring when I was little, because it no longer fit. For their 35th anniversary, dad got mom a new, special set and had his widened, so now they both wear rings again.... My sister and BIL hardly ever wear theirs... they're farmers and like to keep all their fingers attached to their hands.

I come from a family of floozies.

BeagleMommy

:o :o :o :o :o  OP you did great!  I don't think my response would have been half as calm (my next door neighbor says I don't suffer fools well).  DH and I haven't worn our rings for years.  He because he's gained weight and I couldn't wear them after having DS.  I guess we're both loosey goosey.  Gee, I wish I had known after 22 years of marriage.

TheWeirdOne

OP, as BeagleMommy says, you did great. I know my response would definately not have been polite:

HER: Remember what i'm telling you. Next time I want to see you wear your ring. Only floozies don't wear their rings.
ME: *Still staring in shock, mouth is open now, a fly probably could have flown in*
SIL: What are we talking about?

Unpolite response: "The fact that I'm a floozy because I don't wear a ring. Pushyringlady, perhaps you'd like to fill SIL in." Then watch her squirm under everyone's collective gaze.

Yeah, no prizes for guessing why I need Ehell. I'm getting better, promise!

Nellop

Oh man! I'm totally floozy-ing it up at the moment, and didn't even realise!
My engagement ring is off for repairs, so I'd better use this time wisely and attract unwanted attention asap!
I tell funny stories and draw terrible drawings:

http://exacerbationofthesituation.blogspot.com

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Simkin likes to take his ring off before bed, then joke about "cheating on his wife"...does that mean I married a man floozie?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Simkin likes to take his ring off before bed, then joke about "cheating on his wife"...does that mean I married a man floozie?

No, see, men can only be led astray by evil women.  They can't do anything bad on their without extreme temptation from seductresses with magical powers of ringlessness.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Lynnv

No, see, men can only be led astray by evil women.  They can't do anything bad on their without extreme temptation from seductresses with magical powers of ringlessness.

Oh good.  I was getting worried about DH being a man-floozie.  He has been flaunting his ringlessness since the day we got married.   :o

It is good to know that I only have to worry about the hordes of ringless girl floozies out there, but not any inherent man-floozie tendencies on his part.   And of course my occasional bouts of floozieness.   ;D
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Luci

• Super Hero!
I think the thing that surprises me about who said something like that is that I know so many older women with arthritic knuckles who can not wear their rings anymore.

Also, a lot of women didn't have rings because they simply could not afford them.

Isn't there a religion in the US that prohibits wearing jewelry, including wedding rings?

Edited out rogue punctuation!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:03:44 AM by Lucinda7 »

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
The Society of Friends (Quakers) traditionally don't wear wedding rings, and in the marriage service the place where rings would be exchanged is replaced by a handshake. I think that whether to wear one or not is up to the individual though. I'm sure there will be other groups though.
NE England

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.

No, see, men can only be led astray by evil women.  They can't do anything bad on their without extreme temptation from seductresses with magical powers of ringlessness.

Magical powers? We get magical powers?!? Cool!

Then again, I seem to 'attract and seduce' some real dips... maybe I should wear extra rings.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.