Author Topic: A stranger stuck up for my gramma at the dentist office  (Read 1338 times)

boxy

A stranger stuck up for my gramma at the dentist office
« on: November 11, 2010, 12:07:10 PM »
My Gramma has a problematic molar that has had 2 root canals (for the curious, both times to treat infection).  Monday her tooth started hurting again to the point where she couldn't eat, it was sending stabbing pains down her jaw, she couldn't tolerate any kind of temperature change, etc.  She called the dentist's office and they said come in early the next morning. 

We showed up first thing and waited behind another woman as she checked in.  A new receptionist who I've never met looked at us.  I smiled at her and she scowled back.  I realized she had said something but I didn't hear her.  Before either my Gramma or I could ask her to repeat herself she looked at my Gramma who was now leaning against the counter and said slowly like talking to a little child, "naaaame."  I was shocked but Gramma told her who she was and started to say that she had called yesterday.  The receptionist cut her off and said rudely, "You don't have an appointment, what are you doing here."  Gramma explained her tooth was hurting and very clearly told the receptionist what was going on and also that she had called yesterday but the receptionist snapped, "I don't think we can work you in.  We're very busy." 

At this point I heard the woman who had checked in ahead of us say, "be nice to her!"  The receptionist snapped at her, "what did you say to me?!?"  The woman didn't back down and said, "show a little compassion.  It's clear she's in pain." 

I wanted to hug that woman!  This complete stranger was so bothered by the receptionist's attitude that she felt compelled to say something!  Who does that anymore?  I turned to her and said, "thank you" and she said, "I can tell your mother (ack, do I look that old?) is in a lot of pain.  I feel bad for her." 

That simple act of speaking up made me realize 1) I should've been the one saying it and not allowing a young receptionist to run roughshod on my Gramma, and 2) it was WONDERFUL knowing that there are still good people in this world who see a senior citizen being treated poorly and will go to bat for them.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: A stranger stuck up for my gramma at the dentist office
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »
Aaw.  Little things like this get me all choked up.  I was raised to have a special kind of respect for my elders (no, I don't mean slavish reverence for any old person, no matter how nasty, just because she's old).  It makes me ill to see people treating any elderly person badly.  I don't like it when anyone gets treated badly, of course, but it really, really bothers me when it's an older person.  Your poor grandma.  I hope she feels better soon!  I know what an infected tooth feels like.  It's just about as miserable as miserable gets.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Julep

Re: A stranger stuck up for my gramma at the dentist office
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 12:53:28 PM »
That is heartwarming. And I hope you will call the office manager or dentist himself to bring up the receptionist's behavior. She needs an attitude adjustment, or to be put back in the file room. Even though everyone has a bad day, it almost sounds like she was ready to be nasty to someone who was being kind to your grandma. There's a certain point where even someone in a bad mood should snap out of it and realize how they sound. She wasn't going to.