Author Topic: Who's online?  (Read 6418 times)

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
Who's online?
« on: November 12, 2010, 08:21:20 PM »
Y'all probably know this already, but I just noticed that the PM icon changes depending on if a poster is online or or off (or logged in or not, to be more precise).

The little 'word bubbly' thingy is blank when a poster is not logged in, and has a yellow bubble inside of it when a poster is logged in.

(of course, this may not help with posters like myself, who tend to log in first thing in the AM, and leave myself logged in all day whether I'm actually looking at the forum or even home, but I thought it was interesting).

A question for mods- can a person who is temporarily gagged still send and receive PM's even if they can't post?

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
Re: Who's online?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 06:28:47 PM »
You can also go down to the bottom of the Home page and see who is online. So cool ...
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Ticia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 07:43:48 PM »
You can also go down to the bottom of the Home page and see who is online. So cool ...
And... if you click the little "people" icon next to the list of who's online, you can see what they're doing...
Utah

Scritzy

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 07:45:37 PM »
And... if you click the little "people" icon next to the list of who's online, you can see what they're doing...

As in who is reading what.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:31:50 PM »
They're watching my every move, they're after me! I just know it!
 :P

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »

Ooooooooohhhhh!!!!  That's kind of creepy!  ;)

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:49:16 PM »
This is nothing compared to the monitoring software I use with my students.  I can pull up their individual screens and see what they're actually typing.  Also, I can shut down programs or boot them off the network if they're IMing their friends instead of, you know, doing their grammar exercises.  It's great fun.

Scritzy

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:26:56 PM »
This is nothing compared to the monitoring software I use with my students.  I can pull up their individual screens and see what they're actually typing.  Also, I can shut down programs or boot them off the network if they're IMing their friends instead of, you know, doing their grammar exercises.  It's great fun.

I love you! ;D Wish I could have done such as that to my former cow-irker, Jewel, who was busy playing Fling the Cow and surfing bead websites when she was supposed to be working.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 11:07:19 PM »
Your boss might be able to.  A lot of businesses use monitoring software nowadays.

If I'm in an irritable mood, or if the offense is particularly egregious, I'll put the offending student's screen up on the projector so that everyone can see it.

Scritzy

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 02:44:01 AM »
If I'm in an irritable mood, or if the offense is particularly egregious, I'll put the offending student's screen up on the projector so that everyone can see it.

Now I love you even more. ;D
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:34:34 AM »
Your boss might be able to.  A lot of businesses use monitoring software nowadays.

What's your recidivism rate? My guess would be you don't have too many repeat offenders.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 09:53:19 PM »
Very few repeat offenders.  it happens once or twice at the beginning of semester, culprits are massively embarrassed, and order is maintained.  I also answer students' cell phones if they ring in class.   ;D

Happiness, that sounds like similar software to what I use.  It does have actual educational functions - I monitor the students' work and so I can see who needs help, I can broadcast my screen to theirs for demonstrations, I can share files or have them hand in their files to me, plus other stuff.

I'm not an evil overlord; I'm a benevolent dictator.  Mind you, when I said that to one class, they started calling me Saddam.   ::)

Scritzy

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 09:57:22 PM »
I'm not an evil overlord; I'm a benevolent dictator.  Mind you, when I said that to one class, they started calling me Saddam.   ::)

ROFL!
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »

ROFL!

Gotta give them credit for being up on their recent political history there!  ;D

I didn't realize that you could check out what individual posters are up to.  That's neat.