News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 04:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Apple cake disaster -- for potluck today. Any ideas?  (Read 2127 times)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
Apple cake disaster -- for potluck today. Any ideas?
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:07:56 PM »
I made a terrific apple bundt cake with caramel glaze for a work potluck tonight (2 hours from now!). Then I took it out of the pan and it collapsed into a million chunks.
The mess of a cake -- it's about 1/3 beautiful and intact, the rest a sloppy, crumby blob -- is absolutely delicious. I tried a chunk that fell on the counter instead of the plate. But it's utterly unserveable as is. If I saw it sitting out, I'd assume it'd had an unfortunate meeting with the floor.

Should I: Serve the cake and explain the disaster?
Rush to the store and buy something quick?
Rescue it in some unforeseen way?
Not bring anything? (Participation is not required/expected, but voluntary.)

Work potluck background: My company provides turkey, potatoes, rolls, cranberries, drinks and 1 or 2 other dishes for our in-office Thanksgiving dinner during work hours; we provide the rest. I checked a sign-up list yesterday and the only things people had signed up for were tossed salad and cookies. This could mean no one brings anything, or it could mean that people just didn't feel like using the sheet.
I talked up this cake a bit yesterday to a co-worker or two who will ask about it whether it's there or not.

Thanks!

Red1979

• it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
Re: Apple cake disaster -- for potluck today. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 03:09:42 PM »
Can you make a trifle out of it?

Cut it up into chunks and layer it with whipped cream and nuts and maybe some fruit?
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »
Can you make a trifle out of it?

Cut it up into chunks and layer it with whipped cream and nuts and maybe some fruit?

This is what I was thinking, too.  Crumble it up and layer whipped cream or a custard between cake layers and then top with whipped cream and some sliced or slivered almonds.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 03:19:55 PM »
That sounds like a neat idea for a future disaster! Thanks.

In this case, I have no cream and no trifle dish, and the cake seems a bit over-moist to hold up to even the pressure of the lightest whipped loveliness.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 03:21:33 PM »
What about bread pudding?

magicdomino

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 03:24:52 PM »
Do you have the caramel sauce?  Put the chunks mixed with something like nuts or raisins, in a bowl and either pour the sauce over it or serve the sauce on the side.  Any chance that sauce will whip?

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 03:45:17 PM »
I think salvage what you can and slice it, package it up for transport, then get a contrasting but tasty other dessert in the nearest bakery/supermarket.

Or whip up something easy to bring with it that you have the ingredients for (something like banana bread, which is my personal go-to as I always have old bananas in the freezer and it is very very quick to make).

But definitely bring what there is, just pre-sliced.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 03:49:59 PM »
I'll try slicing it, but I'll be lucky to get 2-3 intact slices!

I had very little in the sweets department of my pantry -- and not even any butter left, and no nuts or raisins (the nuts went into the cake) -- but I've got my go-to no-butter peanut butter cookies (enhanced with maple syrup and a good shake of cinnamon) in the oven now.
Decided that getting ready for work took precedence over a trip to the store The nearest one's not far away, but it's far enough that I wouldn't have time for a round trip plus more cooking.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!