News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 03:45:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inedible? What parts of food do you eat?  (Read 22598 times)

StaciNadia

Re: Inedible? What parts of food do you eat?
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »
Let's see...

-I'll eat the heel of Italian bread, but I've never eaten the heel of white/wheat/butter bread
-I don't eat the pizza crust, unless it's thin pizza with a crunchy crust.  Otherwise, I throw it out or give it to the dog
-I will gladly eat raw cookie dough/cake batter!
-I've had potato skins a few times, but it's not something I seek out
-I don't mind chicken skin if it's flavored, but I try not to eat too much
-fatty bacon is okay, but I prefer the crispy parts!
-calamari is good
-I'll try most food, but I'll never try rabbit.  It's like eating someone's pet...

Miss Bee

« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »
I love the potato skins!  I leave them on when making mashed potatoes too.  

I eat the green part of leeks.  Someone told me you're not supposed to, but I don't know why not.  They taste fine when I cook them in recipes, and I hate the thought of wasting most of the leek.  

Oh, and I do wash them really well.  Maybe that's why people don't eat the green part?  

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2010, 02:35:20 PM »
Some people have bizarre ideas about food.  I always heard that one uses the white part of scallions and about 4 inches of the green.  But I use as much green as is crisp and unspoiled.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2010, 02:57:12 PM »

I actually eat the core of my apples. Grosses out a lot of people.

I used to give them to my dogs. They loved them. But that meant that any apple-eating experience forever after involved an entranced, drooling dog utterly fixated on me.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

MizB

« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2010, 11:32:02 PM »
ooh I eat the half popped/barely broken open kernels of popcorn, yum yum!!!!
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Shea

« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2010, 12:51:49 PM »

Oh, I do that too! They're still salty and buttery.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2010, 01:02:27 PM »

Oh, I do that too! They're still salty and buttery.

I once dislocated one side of my jaw doing that (although I had undiagnosed  TMJ syndrome, so my jaw was pretty unstable). The muscles seized, clamping my tongue. Amazingly, it didn't hurt, but it also wouldn't pop back into place, so I drove myself to the emergency room. (It was around midnight.)

When I walked in with my tongue hanging out, drooling, the other people gave way and let me go up to the desk ahead of them. The nurse, bless her heart, must have seen that I wasn't in any pain or emotional distress, because we had the following conversation, which I still treasure:

Nurse: "So what seems to be the problem?"
Me: "By jaud dizlocadted ad by togke iz caude bedweed by deef."
Nurse: "I'm sorry. I can't understand you. Your tongue is caught between your teeth."

They gave me a muscle relaxant, waited half an hour for everything to straighten itself out, and recommended I see a dentist for braces (which I did, and got, and am long over with now).

I still love the popcorn crunchies, but I'm careful to give them a test bite to make sure they're not TOO crunchy.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.