Author Topic: Name Calling  (Read 8109 times)

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
Name Calling
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »
If calling names IRL is rude, is it rude to continually refer to people as SS here?

In Sio's thread about spicing one's food it seems like everyone is bandying the term about and something about it struck a cord with me.  The MIL hasn't done anything to be labeled with the term, yet there it is...

I'm starting to wonder if the term SS has jumped the shark.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
Re: Name Calling
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:38:21 PM »
Insulting anyone *to their face* is rude. But people are allowed to think what they will, it's only in their actual interaction with other people that actions can be classified as rude or polite. A forum is different in that it's like thinking outloud (with an audience).

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:47:37 PM »
In that thread, the term is being used as an illustration that, in fact, the MIL is NOT a SS. What posters are trying to get across is the fact that the OP is, in a way, attributing SSishness to this woman when she's, more than likely, not such. It's being used as a [there's a term for what I'm trying to say, but it's not coming to me - "exaggeration" isn't it, but it's kinda like that].

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 11:58:27 PM »
Could it be hyperbole, Dotty? :)

Captains Flat, Australia

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 12:05:56 AM »
That works. :)

Jan74

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 06:20:11 AM »
Also, most of the times I've seen SS or drama llama or even PA used in this forum, they are used to describe a behavior, not a person - as in "she is being a total SS about this". The only term I see applied to people here that would qualify as name calling is "toxic", to be honest.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »
So just reading the locked thread about Baglady's friend, and the final admonition about the term "Drama Queen", Ticia says "Name calling is never appropriate on the forum."
I'm not seeing a big difference between DQ and SS, to be honest.

I'm not suggesting we never use the phrase again, more wondering if anyone else feels a little discomfort about it, and other names we use here. 

I think most of the posts above are just equivocation.  Afterall, in kindergarten when they said "No name calling" they didn't say "But it's alright if you are just using poopy head to describe Johnny's behavior."

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »
I think most of the posts above are just equivocation.  Afterall, in kindergarten when they said "No name calling" they didn't say "But it's alright if you are just using poopy head to describe Johnny's behavior."

The phrases "special snowflake" and "drama queen" describe specific undesirable attitudes.  "Poopy head" is pejorative opinion but doesn't refer to any specific behavior or attitude.  That's why "poopy head" is name calling as opposed to "special snowflake" or "drama queen" - its sole use is to put someone down, whereas "special snowflake" or "drama queen" have a particular meaning, as in "person with huge unwarranted sense of entitlement" or "person who takes everything very seriously to the point that they get very out of joint if things don't go as they wish."  These are factual descriptions as opposed to simple opinion.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 03:21:56 PM »
There's also a huge difference between name-calling directed at a hypothetical person ("if MIL put condiments out but got upset when you used them she would be a SS") vs. actually insulting another poster.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Wavicle

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 03:22:47 PM »
I think calling another member a special snowflake could be seen as name calling, and if you think that is the case you need to report it. The mods do not read everything, but they will review your report. They may say something, or they may decide in that context it isn't name calling.

In general I do think it should not be applied to other posters. It isn't really a nice term, and if you mean the behavior then it is just as easy to say "I think you are being unreasonable/expecting too much/ being too picky."

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
I think calling another member a special snowflake could be seen as name calling, and if you think that is the case you need to report it. The mods do not read everything, but they will review your report. They may say something, or they may decide in that context it isn't name calling.

In general I do think it should not be applied to other posters. It isn't really a nice term, and if you mean the behavior then it is just as easy to say "I think you are being unreasonable/expecting too much/ being too picky."
Agree!  But are we impolite for using "not nice terms" here when talking about anyone?

(and there's no specific issue or individual here, this isn't even about that specific thread. It's just something that has come up in my head lately because it never dawned on me until recently that it's really just name calling.  Again, the justifications I am seeing don't make sense.  If I call someone a jerk, that's still name calling even though it describes an attitude or behavior.)

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 03:48:37 PM »
Well, frankly there simply are some very not nice people in this world who do rude, horrible, despicable things or else why are any of us posting about them? How would one describe their behavior? How can one politely convey what is inherently distasteful, rude, obnoxious, off or otherwise bad without being so generic that no one can discern just how bad the behavior/person really is?

There are shades and nuances with words, that is why there are so many words, to lend clarity to our thoughts and experiences when we try to share them with others. I don't advocate a free for all name calling, that is not my point and that is not what is being done. Doing something foolish (or insert any other "bad term" here) does not automatically mean a person is a fool. It could have been one instance of bad judgement. Is that name calling? I don't think so. However, using descriptors isn't, in and of itself name-calling and impolite, just an efficient and clearer way to get the meaning across. At least that is how I view it.

Edited for Typo! Ack
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 03:58:13 PM by ydpubs »
No matter where you go, there you are...

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 03:56:38 PM »
"special snowflake" or "drama queen" have a particular meaning, as in "person with huge unwarranted sense of entitlement" or "person who takes everything very seriously to the point that they get very out of joint if things don't go as they wish." 

For me, it's a case of using 2 words, "Special Snowflake," rather than 7, "person with huge unwarranted sense of entitlement," to get the same point across.  It's about clarity and brevity.  A code phrase, if you will. 

(Or, in the other case, 2 words rather than 23.  Whew!)

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 03:58:55 PM »
"special snowflake" or "drama queen" have a particular meaning, as in "person with huge unwarranted sense of entitlement" or "person who takes everything very seriously to the point that they get very out of joint if things don't go as they wish." 

For me, it's a case of using 2 words, "Special Snowflake," rather than 7, "person with huge unwarranted sense of entitlement," to get the same point across.  It's about clarity and brevity.  A code phrase, if you will. 

Exactly. You said it in even fewer words than I did. LOL!
No matter where you go, there you are...

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »

Exactly. You said it in even fewer words than I did. LOL!

I guess all that newsletter editing is coming in handy!   ;D

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx