Author Topic: Kate & William  (Read 10327 times)

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
Re: Kate & William
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »
I was initially bothered by the ring, thinking it had bad karma and then I thought about it and decided it was sweet. It's obvious William adored his mother and I think it's sweet that he gave Kate something that belonged to her.

I'm a little sad, as I grew up intending to marry William myself... Of course, DH swept me away before that could happen, so I should be happy he found someone else  ;D

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »
I'm a little sad, as I grew up intending to marry William myself... Of course, DH swept me away before that could happen, so I should be happy he found someone else  ;D

I know how you feel.  I was convinced I'd marry Andrew, but it was not to be... ::)
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 03:56:43 PM »
I have a question about the wedding.  It was my understanding when Charles married Camilla that they could not get married in Westminster Abbey because commoners could not get married there.  But isn't Kate a commoner?  All the buzz seems to indicate the Westminster will be the venue.

I'm not super keyed in to this type of news most of the time, but I thought that Charles and Camilla got married outside of the Church of England both because Camilla was a divorcee (whose spouse was still living), and because Charles and Camilla had carried on some sort of relationship while they were married to other people.  They had to go and apologize for their adultery before any priest would bless their union, I think.

I'm hardly an expert, but as far as I'm aware there is nothing about British traditions or law that specifically forbid a commoner from marrying royalty in Westminster Abbey or from eventually becoming queen.  Things like divorce, however, can, since the monarch is supposed to be the head of the Church of England.  If I'm remembering my British history correctly, Queen Elizabeth's uncle abdicated the throne so he could marry a divorced American woman, making Elizabeth's father (the second son) king, and putting Elizabeth directly in the line of succession.

I was curious, and poking around on Wikipedia, and apparently there is a concept called "morganatic marriage" that exists, but not really in the UK.  The idea is that when people of unequal rank marry, the higher-ranked person's title is not granted to the spouse or to the children of that marriage (though they are otherwise legitimate).  It was most common when high-ranked men married lower-ranked women, since women rarely had hereditary titles they could hold in their own right.

But if Wikipedia is correct, there is actually no tradition of morganatic marriage in the UK.  Apparently, the fact that Camilla is not now styled as "Princess of Wales" is mostly in deference to public sentiments about Princess Diana, because it is legally a title she can claim.  Ditto her eventual title when Charles assumes the throne.  And in fact, when King Edward (Elizabeth's uncle) wanted to marry his divorcee, one option that was considered and then rejected was morganatic marriage (it was decided that he could not be king and marry her -- he'd have to pick one or the other).

It's an interesting few paragraphs, in any case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morganatic_marriage#United_Kingdom

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 03:58:14 PM »
I can't wait to see how this unfolds, as I'm a few months younger than William and as such wasn't around to watch the Charles/Diana wedding.  Glad to see some thought was given to the timing, as for the ring, I can see William wanting to pass it on.  And count me as another who wanted to be in Kate's place.  

As for the balding, not surprised it was noted, as I know many women who find him less attractive because of it.

kglory

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 05:05:34 PM »
A bit of a tangent, but some of the recent posts have brought up something that have me wondering.

Edward had to abdicate when he married Wallis Warfield Simpson because she was 1) not royalty, and 2) divorced.
Camilla is both of these things. So why could Charles still become king?  If he did, would she be Queen, or Princess, or what title?

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »
Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson (a commoner) were married in Westminster Abbey.

MSwoman

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 07:08:42 PM »
I've not yet received my invitation, but just in case... What would one buy as a wedding gift for the royal couple? A few place settings of china, crystal, kitchen towels?

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010, 07:24:22 PM »
A bit of a tangent, but some of the recent posts have brought up something that have me wondering.

Edward had to abdicate when he married Wallis Warfield Simpson because she was 1) not royalty, and 2) divorced.
Camilla is both of these things. So why could Charles still become king?  If he did, would she be Queen, or Princess, or what title?

There's actually no law about a divorced person not becoming the monarch; I think Wallis was widely unpopular with the Royal Family.  Princess Margaret could not marry her first love because he was not "suitable".  It's really changed now; both Anne and Edward married commoners, as did Anne's children.

Camilla calls herself Duchess of Cornwall, and I've heard that's what she wants to be known as. 

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 07:36:19 PM »
Here is her official designation, according the the official royal website:

Born Camilla Rosemary Shand, after her marriage to The Prince of Wales, Her Royal Highness chose to use the title The Duchess of Cornwall.

In Scotland, Her Royal Highness is known as The Duchess of Rothesay.

As The Prince is the Earl of Chester, Her Royal Highness also holds the title The Countess of Chester.

When The Prince accedes to The Throne, it is intended that The Duchess will use the title HRH The Princess Consort.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »
Of course, I'm not sure how much of that was actually Camilla's choice, but she certainly agreed to it in any case. :)

It's interesting, coming from the United States, to realize that what the British royal family (among other royal families) does is sometimes almost as dependent upon public opinion and politics as it is upon actual law, tradition, and precedent.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 12:13:04 AM »
I was 15 when Charles and Diana married. I often envisioned myself with Edward. ;)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 12:32:23 AM »
I was watching some news show and a reporter said "Kate's well known in the British press, but nobody had heard of her across the pond until now."  ??? I mean, come on. Even my mom knew about Kate & William years ago, and she doesn't even follow celebrity gossip. She used to comment to me, back when William and Kate started out, "Oh, there was an article / tv program mentioning William and that girl he's supposedly living with & d@ting."

LovesWater

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 12:55:48 AM »
I've not yet received my invitation, but just in case... What would one buy as a wedding gift for the royal couple? A few place settings of china, crystal, kitchen towels?

some unique items of tack, a gun cabinet, matching polo mallets?

a souvenir plate?

brainstorming here but not really coming up with much.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 01:02:29 AM »

a souvenir plate?

The cloak of invisibility ?

Gyburc

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 06:41:34 AM »

a souvenir plate?

DH and I went to see the Britannia, the former Royal Yacht, up in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. In the (very small!) banquet hall were displayed all the gifts that had been presented to the Royal Family on their many visits to far-flung parts of the world. There was a narwhal tusk, beautiful artwork, jewelled daggers from the Middle East, and in the middle of it all a little tortoise carved out of shell from Tuvalu, and a rather elderly, battered cricket-ball from another tiny island (can't remember which). It was very touching to see that these were being displayed alongside all the fabulously valuable items, and had clearly been received with gratitude.

So I suspect that pretty much any wedding gift would be very graciously received!

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you