News:

• February 25, 2018, 06:02:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: but that belongs to us...  (Read 17405 times)

LeveeWoman

Re: but that belongs to us...
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »
Unless the OP lives in a remote or unusual area, there are jobs. Just not ones that a lot of people would want to do. Temp jobs, jobs at restaurants, etc. Part time would be better than nothing.

In my opinion, some people treat young adults like kids way too long.

Not everyone is able to carry a full load of classes and work even PT hours. And, some just might not have to support themselves.

It might help to know what kind of trade school this is. A person might have homework to become an electrician, that seems less likely for a hairdresser.

Don't cosmetology schools also include some health and chemistry courses?

I have no idea. Perhaps the OP can tell us if her niece has homework to do?

ETA: In any event, I doubt she's writing term papers and doing the kind of homework that comes with an acedemic courseload.

Trade schools are not easy even if they don't have traditional academic courses and work.

It's up to each family to determine whether or not a student works outside school.

LilyRose

• City Girl In Cowboy Boots
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2010, 11:41:55 AM »
Unless the OP lives in a remote or unusual area, there are jobs. Just not ones that a lot of people would want to do. Temp jobs, jobs at restaurants, etc. Part time would be better than nothing.

Not everyone is able to carry a full load of classes and work even PT hours. And, some just might not have to support themselves.

It might help to know what kind of trade school this is. A person might have homework to become an electrician, that seems less likely for a hairdresser.

Yes. Theory work includes things suchs as: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, Nail Diseases and Disorders, and Skin Diseases and Disorders.

I had homework on a regular basis while attending cosmetology school.

NutMeg

« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »

I have no idea. Perhaps the OP can tell us if her niece has homework to do?

ETA: In any event, I doubt she's writing term papers and doing the kind of homework that comes with an acedemic courseload.

My sister is going to trade school. She has lots of homework. Not term papers necessarily, but drafting projects, etc.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

LeveeWoman

« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2010, 12:05:59 PM »
Yes. Theory work includes things suchs as: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, Nail Diseases and Disorders, and Skin Diseases and Disorders.

I had homework on a regular basis while attending cosmetology school.

That's what I thought. It's not learning how to just cut hair.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2010, 12:13:03 PM »
My sister is going to trade school. She has lots of homework. Not term papers necessarily, but drafting projects, etc.

Don't some fields require internships on top of regular classes?

Cattitude

« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2010, 12:36:36 PM »
In fairness to the niece, this is a lousy job market.  Our 23yo DD has been able to get jobs fairly easy in previous years, but since moving home a year ago, she has had a miserable time.  Niece may indeed have been trying to get a job without much success.  And if she is going to school full-time, she doesn't have the time to pour into job-hunting, including babysitting/lawn-moving/pet-sitting types of jobs. 
That said, niece needs to learn to pull her weight in the household and contribute in other ways.

I am not having a issue with the lack of job, it's the total lack of gratitude on the niece's part that I find grating. She's not thanked Roe at all and really had the nerve to be upset at being asked to contribute???
I have an issue with both the lack of job and lack of gratitude.  I went full time to nursing school when I was just a few years older than this girl and I also worked full time.  It can be done.

Roe

« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2010, 01:14:23 PM »
I don't think the question of whether Roe should let the niece with with her or not is currently up for debate. Some families expect kids to become self-supporting at eighteen, some after college and some at other times. I don't think Roe is in any way obligated to let niece stay with her family, but it's her family's choice, and if it can give niece the opportunity to get a degree or certification and a decent job, and break the cycle of dependency that seems to be going on, I can see why they would be willing to give it a try. But I have to say, I'm also glad to hear the offer comes with restrictions and a time limit!

To the bolded...yes, this is exactly why we are willing and eager to help her out.

And for those wondering, niece is in an accounting certification course.  She also has to take English classes so she does have a few papers she is responsible for writing.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2010, 01:20:33 PM »
I don't think the question of whether Roe should let the niece with with her or not is currently up for debate. Some families expect kids to become self-supporting at eighteen, some after college and some at other times. I don't think Roe is in any way obligated to let niece stay with her family, but it's her family's choice, and if it can give niece the opportunity to get a degree or certification and a decent job, and break the cycle of dependency that seems to be going on, I can see why they would be willing to give it a try. But I have to say, I'm also glad to hear the offer comes with restrictions and a time limit!

To the bolded...yes, this is exactly why we are willing and eager to help her out.

And for those wondering, niece is in an accounting certification course.  She also has to take English classes so she does have a few papers she is responsible for writing.

Sounds like she has a full plate!

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2010, 03:29:21 PM »
I think the issue here is she should work.

Yes, I know...I've seen her applying for jobs online but no one has called her back. I don't know if she's really trying or if she just has bad luck in the job dept.  

It may be time for Aunt Roe to coach her a little on the job application process. Things to look at: using formal language, translating "experience" to useful resume terms, the wonders of spell check, presenting yourself professionally, etc.

There are a bazillion retail jobs hiring for the holidays. I have a hard time buying the "no call back" excuse unless she is actively sabotaging herself with her applications.