Author Topic: The Mad King Ludwig  (Read 10594 times)

Jan74

Re: The Mad King Ludwig
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2011, 07:09:12 AM »
If Ludwig were alive right now, I think a lot of people would be calling out about interesting assumptions. I do think it's a little rude and presumptuous to speculate about the personal lives of anyone - alive or dead - when it really isn't any of our (in the general sense) business. That's how I try to look at things.

But people do speculate about the love life of for example, Henry VIII, when they visit a place historically connected with him. Or of Marie Antoinette. So I agree with PaddedPaws that whether one considers any speculation about the private lives of historical figures appropriate or not (without going into the issue that most historians find private lives a very important part of history), the fact that his speculation is of a homosexual nature does not make it any less appropriate.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2011, 07:21:36 AM »
People like to speculate. It's very human. It ranges from "Was Mad King Ludwifg mad?" to "I hear that tramp Debbie is pregnant again; do you think it's her husband's?" to "Was Akhenaton really a monotheist?  What did he think about the other Gods?" to "Do you think that Montague John Druitt was really Jack the Ripper?"

pffff. Everyone knows Jack the Ripper was really the Duke of Clarence  ;D

What? Debbie's a tramp?!!?!

You mean you didn't know?!

Nibsey

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
If Ludwig were alive right now, I think a lot of people would be calling out about interesting assumptions. I do think it's a little rude and presumptuous to speculate about the personal lives of anyone - alive or dead - when it really isn't any of our (in the general sense) business. That's how I try to look at things.

But people do speculate about the love life of for example, Henry VIII, when they visit a place historically connected with him. Or of Marie Antoinette. So I agree with PaddedPaws that whether one considers any speculation about the private lives of historical figures appropriate or not (without going into the issue that most historians find private lives a very important part of history), the fact that his speculation is of a homosexual nature does not make it any less appropriate.

Yeah I'm doing my thesis on a king x's court and it's very important as part of my thesis to at least speculate whether a certain person close to said king was gay because if they were gay it puts an entirely new spin on a knock on effect which directly influenced court politics. (And I'm not giving the person name because I don't want anyone stealing my thesis idea until it's done.  ;) )
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Jan74

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2011, 12:15:40 PM »

Yeah I'm doing my thesis on a king x's court and it's very important as part of my thesis to at least speculate whether a certain person close to said king was gay because if they were gay it puts an entirely new spin on a knock on effect which directly influenced court politics. (And I'm not giving the person name because I don't want anyone stealing my thesis idea until it's done.  ;) )

That sounds like it is gonna be a cool thesis.