Author Topic: You are so lucky to have stayed so thin  (Read 15151 times)

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
Re: You are so lucky to have stayed so thin
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2010, 05:30:50 PM »
I don't see any evidence of the SIL getting worked up.  Seems like people are kinda worked up here in the thread at the idea that people find the comments obnoxious.

I think someone commenting on a person's figure does call for complete silence, really.  I sure never know what to say if someone starts talking about my body.  Even when well intended that's pretty uncomfortable for many of us.

Spoder

Re: You are so lucky to have stayed so thin
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2010, 05:41:06 AM »
I don't understand all the "Oh, just think the best of these types of comments". It isn't as if the SIL pulled out her pearl handled revolver and challenged anyone to a duel.
She was polite when it happened and then told the OP about it later.

If no one ever did this, we wouldn't have much to discuss at eHell now, would we?

Well, I honestly think the comments are more clumsy than *rude*, so I don't see the point in getting worked up about them if the intentions were probably good.

But secondly, I'm not exactly clear on how the SIL actually responded. I was under the impression she responded with 'complete silence', which seems OTT for a clumsy compliment.

Agreed. As the title of this folder suggests, complete silence is a good response for 'insults and ugly comments'. I don't think an inept attempt at a compliment really comes into that category.