News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 07, 2015, 10:43:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plus Size Clothing - USA  (Read 1817 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Plus Size Clothing - USA
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2015, 10:07:36 AM »
I guess I should have taken a closer look at the Ava & Viv selection ... I didn't realize it was so boring.

They had one tunic  in blues and greens that caught my eye, and I just thought, "Now, Target, you come out with this cuteness? Right when I'm finally back in non-plus sizes?"

They had some weird stuff a few years ago too. There was a striped dress that you could tell was sewn wrong, just by looking at it on the hanger, and this gray/aqua maxi dress I actually quite liked in theory, but when I finally tried it on, it was for Amazons (and I am not particularly short). The waistband was halfway down my hips and the bottom was dragging all over the ground, and it fit like a sack in a size that should have been more form-fitting on me.

Goosey

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2015, 10:12:12 AM »
I guess I should have taken a closer look at the Ava & Viv selection ... I didn't realize it was so boring.

They had one tunic  in blues and greens that caught my eye, and I just thought, "Now, Target, you come out with this cuteness? Right when I'm finally back in non-plus sizes?"

I've found that the fit is the problem. They're either sacks or they just hang weirdly.

nuit93

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2015, 10:50:15 AM »
I found that it was just less depressing to only go to Target for clothes for the kids and accessories for myself.

The accessories last longer than their clothes do...better made.

I can't get shoes there, I may be a plus size, but my feet are narrow - not the B average width - my feet slide sideways in those and it's even worse in a wide width.  Lil Sis wears a 7.5AAA and Maternal Grandmother wore a 5.5AAA (usually found in large cities and used as a display because almost any shoe looks "cute" when it's that small).

I find a lot at Ross Dress for Less - but the racks are disorganized.  Customers put things back on the closest rack, whether it's the correct size or not and they just don't have enough people straightening the stock out to keep it organized.  Especially since "treasure hunt" is closer to the store theme than "organized to let you find stuff in the minimum amount of time".  But there are some bargains worth the hunting...

Wow! I am just below plus size now, but I also have a narrow foot. (I was in plus sizes previously.) I have never met another person in the same predicament. I've met plenty of thin women with wide feet, but we are a rare breed.

It's odd--some plus size stores only sell wide shoes, and I'm not sure if they're assuming all plus size women have wide feet, or if they're intending to cater to the "plus size foot," as it were, no matter the size of the woman attached to it. I do have wide feet, but I've had them at every weight I've been.

I had a boss who wore the tiny 5 extra narrows (she's also really short) and it was always something of a hunt for her.

Another plus-size with narrower (though a B width is usually sufficient for me) feet!  It's rough because I also have HUGE calves, so I can only find knee-high boots at plus-sized stores and even then sometimes I can't get them over my calves.

I had someone explain to me that a lot of larger women have fallen arches so their feet tend to run wider? 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2015, 11:04:04 AM »
How awesome -- what a great trip. I know you'll have a wonderful time and see some great country. I'd like to take a trip like that!

One of the things about living in a nation that has more than its share of, ahem, larger people is that there are more stores that carry large sizes. Both of you should be able to find clothing to fit in most major department store chains (Dillards, etc.). Visit major malls (though many are dying, not all have heard their death knell just yet).

There are also plus sized stores for both sexes. Lane Bryant has some cute stuff for women but it tends to be sort of expensive. Torrid has some stuff I like, too, and they have good clearance sales. You'll also find plus-sized underthings for women in both of those.

Lately I've been buying more stuff from catalogs and online -- I like Igigi stuff, for instance. If you really liked their stuff you could have it delivered to a place that could hold it for you until you're nearby.

Just some random thoughts.

My plus size pals love Torrid and everything I've ever seen them wear from there looks great.

You'll find nice plus size lines at all the major department stores - Macy's, Dillard's, etc. The outlet malls will have some good lines, too.

Happy traveling!

I left Macy's almost in tears when I was looking for a dress as a 1X.  The selection was deplorable and when I politely asked their answer was they cater to the majority.  I could find many dresses online but so hard to buy without trying on.

Dress Barn has really cute clothes.  You may find a large outlet in your travels. 

Dillard's has a great selection of plus sized women's clothes.  Formal,Casual even gowns. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:06:13 AM by sparksals »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »
I've bought a really nice plus size evening dress from Dillard's.  VorGuy loved the dress but cringed at the price tag...I still have it, even though it doesn't fit right now...

I wore a lot of clothes from Dress Barn at my last job (Business Casual, car insurance company).  I fell in love with two knit cardigans that looked a lot like Chanel jackets - worn with a slim skirt or pants, I always felt "well dressed" on the few days a year when "upper management" was supposed to be in the building and we were supposed to wear Business Corporate instead of Business Casual.   I still miss those two cardigans, but I wore them out in the time that I worked there.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Hillia

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2015, 12:25:04 PM »
Ib looked in my closet and realized that just about everything I own comes from Dress Barn.  On the downside, they can get in a rut... A particular color or style is the 'thing' for this season, and a lot of merchandise will be a variant of that color/style.  But they do have cute clothes, ranging from casual shorts to nice cocktail dresses, at good prices, and the sales are fantastic.

Edited because autocorrect is really, really awful.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:20:00 PM by Hillia »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2015, 12:40:52 PM »
I found that it was just less depressing to only go to Target for clothes for the kids and accessories for myself.

The accessories last longer than their clothes do...better made.

I can't get shoes there, I may be a plus size, but my feet are narrow - not the B average width - my feet slide sideways in those and it's even worse in a wide width.  Lil Sis wears a 7.5AAA and Maternal Grandmother wore a 5.5AAA (usually found in large cities and used as a display because almost any shoe looks "cute" when it's that small).

I find a lot at Ross Dress for Less - but the racks are disorganized.  Customers put things back on the closest rack, whether it's the correct size or not and they just don't have enough people straightening the stock out to keep it organized.  Especially since "treasure hunt" is closer to the store theme than "organized to let you find stuff in the minimum amount of time".  But there are some bargains worth the hunting...

Wow! I am just below plus size now, but I also have a narrow foot. (I was in plus sizes previously.) I have never met another person in the same predicament. I've met plenty of thin women with wide feet, but we are a rare breed.

It's odd--some plus size stores only sell wide shoes, and I'm not sure if they're assuming all plus size women have wide feet, or if they're intending to cater to the "plus size foot," as it were, no matter the size of the woman attached to it. I do have wide feet, but I've had them at every weight I've been.

I had a boss who wore the tiny 5 extra narrows (she's also really short) and it was always something of a hunt for her.

Another plus-size with narrower (though a B width is usually sufficient for me) feet!  It's rough because I also have HUGE calves, so I can only find knee-high boots at plus-sized stores and even then sometimes I can't get them over my calves.

I had someone explain to me that a lot of larger women have fallen arches so their feet tend to run wider?

Heh. Not me. Mine are like "Ground? You want us to step on the ground? But we are special snowflakes. We shall arc precipitously above it and not deign to touch that foul stuff." I wear wide more because my little toe sticks out.

Sparksals, I had a similar experience at a Macy's, and I think it really depends on the locale. Some Macy's have a ton of stuff; the one in the college town had exactly two dresses in the whole store that would fit me, and yes, I counted.

cattlekid

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2015, 02:10:50 PM »
This is me in almost every clothing store I go into.  If they do carry items in my size, then they aren't the style that I am looking for (classic, not trendy, no splashy colors or prints).  Most of the time, if I find something that looks like it might work, the cut is way off.  Staff are generally unhelpful and I veer between tears and outright anger that I am being forced to shop online.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd start a chain of plus size clothing stores and show retailers how to do it right. 

I left Macy's almost in tears when I was looking for a dress as a 1X.  The selection was deplorable and when I politely asked their answer was they cater to the majority.  I could find many dresses online but so hard to buy without trying on.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2015, 05:06:57 PM »

Dress Barn has really cute clothes.  You may find a large outlet in your travels. 

Dillard's has a great selection of plus sized women's clothes.  Formal,Casual even gowns.

Macy's, and some other large department stores, really tailor their stock to the area that the store is in. The selection in the Boston area Macy's stores is vastly different than the Macy's stores in New Hampshire, even though in some cases, the stores are little more than an hour's drive apart. The Boston stores have larger selections over all, and more office/business casual wear. The NH stores have a lot of casual pants and po!yester tops, little career wear and very little formal/going out clothing at all, although again, it varies a bit by where in the state the store is located.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2015, 05:17:12 PM »
I remember reading about a study of male & female body types that was being done "a while back" (I don't remember when it was done).  They were taking heights, weights, shoulder width, chest, waist, hip, leg length for pants, and torso length (if I recall).  For women, they added the bra cup size...

I do remember that the measurements indicated that there were basically nine different "body types" for guys - there were possible variations for medical conditions - but still, ready to wear manufacturers could take the data, average it out, and come up with a reasonable approximation of fit for "most" men if they stuck to the average ranges.

With the female body - the combinations were over thirty or so going up before they were well into their sample - once the bra cup (and where the bosom was carried & whether or not the rib cage was deep or shallow) and how the "hips' shape & how they carried weight" were determined (narrow hips vs. wide hips; flat backside vs. full backside; and full abdomen vs. flat abdomen).

Apparently women don't have a reasonably small number of "body types" that they can be reduced to - which really means that sorting out "average" sizes ready to wear for women is not something easily done.  And plus size women have an even wider variation on how they carry their weight...

NFPwife

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2015, 11:37:44 PM »

Macy's, and some other large department stores, really tailor their stock to the area that the store is in. The selection in the Boston area Macy's stores is vastly different than the Macy's stores in New Hampshire, even though in some cases, the stores are little more than an hour's drive apart. The Boston stores have larger selections over all, and more office/business casual wear. The NH stores have a lot of casual pants and po!yester tops, little career wear and very little formal/going out clothing at all, although again, it varies a bit by where in the state the store is located.

That's true. I make an effort to stop in Macy's when I'm away from home because the selection will vary. I think all stores have some discrepancy, in my local Wal-Mart there is a large section of workout gear, in a southern Wal-Mart, that same section was all swimsuits with almost no workout gear.

I'm so sorry folks have had such awful plus size experiences, our local Macy's has a nice selection. We're in the 'burbs.

nuit93

« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 01:07:55 PM »
I remember reading about a study of male & female body types that was being done "a while back" (I don't remember when it was done).  They were taking heights, weights, shoulder width, chest, waist, hip, leg length for pants, and torso length (if I recall).  For women, they added the bra cup size...

I do remember that the measurements indicated that there were basically nine different "body types" for guys - there were possible variations for medical conditions - but still, ready to wear manufacturers could take the data, average it out, and come up with a reasonable approximation of fit for "most" men if they stuck to the average ranges.

With the female body - the combinations were over thirty or so going up before they were well into their sample - once the bra cup (and where the bosom was carried & whether or not the rib cage was deep or shallow) and how the "hips' shape & how they carried weight" were determined (narrow hips vs. wide hips; flat backside vs. full backside; and full abdomen vs. flat abdomen).

Apparently women don't have a reasonably small number of "body types" that they can be reduced to - which really means that sorting out "average" sizes ready to wear for women is not something easily done.  And plus size women have an even wider variation on how they carry their weight...

It's a great argument for getting one's clothes tailored, if it's in the budget!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 02:00:07 PM »

It's a great argument for getting one's clothes tailored, if it's in the budget!

I learned to sew just about the time I hit puberty.  I miss fitting being as easily managed as adding a little length between bust and waist (longer between shoulders & waist than below).  But at least I still know how to sew and what "fit" is supposed to look like.

Too many women (and a few men) seem to think that "fit" = sausage skin tight - which works only with leotards & tights...

Basically, if there are wrinkles vertically, it's too loose, and if there are wrinkles horizontally, it's too tight, and if the wrinkles are diagonal, it's the wrong shape & the fabric is dragged out of the cut shape to try to fit the body inside...which doesn't work well even with lots & lots of Lycra in the fabric...and will get any fabric without Lycra to start pulling apart at the seam lines...

But paying someone to fit clothing who knows what they are doing is something that most people don't think about, because clothes are relatively cheaper as a % of the budget than they were even thirty to thirty-five years ago...before so many manufacturing jobs went overseas.