Author Topic: How much time do you spend cooking dinner?  (Read 793 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: How much time do you spend cooking dinner?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 06:10:14 AM »
Live in israel, me and adult DS (DS with food issues so there are only a small number of food items he eats).

I prefer cooking from scratch as well as using only in season fruit and veg though lately I've been using more frozen veggies and prepared sauces,

I rarely cook midweek.  I wotk sun-thurs so I usually cook on friday for the e week. Midweek, I get home ( starving) around 7 and I like to go to bed around 9-9,30 so that doesn't leave me much time to cook. I usually make a pot of soup that lasts till Wed-Thursday in the fridge, and things like chicken, chicken and chicken for the freezer. For quick mjeals I'll make grilled cheese while waiting for the soup to heat

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 09:10:04 AM »
Two hours, though maybe one hour on an easy night. I. Like to cook for two nights so we only have to warm something up for the second.
Occasionally I have to abandon cooking right in the middle to feed DS.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »
It really just depends.  I live in a very warm climate (it's been cooler recently,  but that's not really the norm). So I often eat cold things or leftovers. 

On a cold day, I  don't mind using the oven, so I might make something a bit more labor intensive. Maybe 1-3 hours with the intention of eating leftovers for a few days, like a big meatloaf or roasted chicken/turkey.  On a blistering hot day, I'm not turning the oven on.  So it is something cold, leftover, or something that can be made on the stove top in under 30 minutes or in the microwave.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »
We cook nearly every day, all year. We're not big fans of leftovers, they generally go in my or DH's lunches, so I cook something new every day or two. It takes me 30-75 minutes to cook dinner on the average, I make a lot of one dish skillet meals, since they take less time and use fewer dishes. We do have potatoes on a regular basis, but that is at least a two pot meal. I don't use a lot of prepared ingredients other than prepared pesto, chopped garlic, canned beans, and canned tomatoes. I use a lot of frozen corn kernels and peas in my dishes.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 11:15:23 AM »
As others have said, it depends because there is cooking and there is Cooking. 

Making a meal such as Swiss Steak with mashed potatoes and vegetables can be done in a little over half an hour with the microwave and a sauté pan. Making pea soup with a loaf of bread, a goulash or a beef stew can take most of an afternoon.  Roasting a chicken falls somewhere in the middle.     

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 09:09:20 AM »
I am out of the house 12 hours between work and commute time so I get home after 7 and don't like to cook for long because I don't like to eat late.  I tend to cook a lot on Sundays and reheat leftovers for weeknights.  I'd say I spend 2-3 hours on Sundays making a lot from scratch, but then 20 minutes on week nights heating up some of it for leftovers.  When I do cook from scratch on a weeknight it's usually a  simple dish, like sauteed meat (chicken, pork or beef) and a salad or vegetable.  So I probably spend 20 minutes on weeknight cooking and keep the meal simple.  Weekends are for bigger dishes.

This. I do very little cooking on weekdays- maybe a grilled cheese or a stirfry.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »
US Midwest. I live by myself in a tiny apartment and I don't cook. There are many other activities I prioritize higher than cooking, so if takes me more than 5 minutes to throw together something to eat (including microwave time), it's not going to happen. Very rarely on a weekend I might make something like chili that I can freeze and eat later--that takes longer but most of it is cooking time, as my only prep would be opening cans. I am really impressed with people who Cook but I just don't have an interest in doing it myself.
~Lynn2000

shygirl

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 01:18:37 PM »
I live in the US, and I don't cook dinner every day.  But when I do cook dinner, I'll probably average 45 min to an hour.  And then that food will last for several meals.  I might make something quick or something that doesn't need a lot of attention to supplement the leftovers.  I do this because I get home late, and need to get the kid his dinner in a reasonable time before bedtime.

Actually, my getting home late was a recent change in our schedule.  I used to get home really early, but even then I wouldn't cook every day because it was kind of difficult to do things in the kitchen with a baby/toddler wrapped around my head all the time.  And my husband and I worked opposite shifts, so we were mostly home alone with the kid when we were home.  After our son was born, I would say that 85% of our cooking took place during the weekend when everyone was home.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 04:39:55 PM »
Anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. It all depends on the recipe, how much time I have, and how much energy I have that day. I typically plan out 5 meals at a time and shop for them, then choose which to make on which day depending on circumstances and what I'm in the mood for.

I don't usually make mashed potatoes because it's a relatively nutrient-poor, high-calorie side dish, and it's not worth the time to me. It's not that I don't spend that much time making food, ever; it's that I don't want to spend that much time on something that has almost no redeeming qualities (except deliciousness, so of course I make an exception when that makes it worth it), especially when I have other food to make that is occupying my time, energy, and attention.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »
Chicago - varies - maybe 15 minutes or so if I am reheating something like lasagna or spaghetti (not including oven time) to 30  - 45 minutes if from scratch.

I don't think mashed potatoes take that much time to cook but peeling & cubing can make it seem longer.  I now steam them rather than boil as they come out drier and not inclined to be mushy or soupy.  I mash them in the pan the steaming water was in to save washing another pan and us a hand held mashed as that is the way I have always done.  It would never occur to me to get out an appliance to make them and DH loves to do the mashing anyway, by hand.

I think homemade mashed potatoes are delicious but sometimes use instant since all I have to do is measure, then add the flakes to the boiling liquid at the last minute.  DH says they are just as good and they are pretty good.  Seems my mom never knew how to make them properly & they were always soupy - but she was not the best cook anyway.  I was grown up before I knew that things like stew & pot roast were supposed to be TASTY!!!   ;)

CakeEater

« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 09:27:21 PM »
Does everyone cube their potatoes? I don't - I just cut them into biggish chunks.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 09:40:53 PM »
I don't cube or peel them.  I use the little red skin ones.  Depending on how big they are,  I just leave them whole, cut them in half, or rough quarters.

ETA : My mom's a bit ocd about potatoes.   She carefully peels them and then cuts them in very uniform one inch cubes.  I make her nuts with how I do mine and she makes me crazy with how she does hers.   :P  It's like watching Monk if he would touch a potato.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:44:42 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Wintergreen

« Reply #27 on: Today at 02:48:21 AM »
I'm from Finland.

Average weekday dinner usually takes something like 30-60 minutes, which depending on the food might be mostly waiting or mostly active cooking and prepping. We usually try to aim more towards the 30mins and also quite often we do soups or casseroles or lasagna that can be eaten for few days, so next day is then only heating up. We do try to make our food mostly ourselves, but the complexity of the foods varies a lot :D Sometimes it is rice with chicken sauce (=cooked chicken fillet cuts and some cream or tomato mash + some seasoning thrown on them), sometimes it's something more elaborate.

Mashed potatoes I usually only do during weekends, as I like to eat that with meatballs. And if I make both mashed potatoes and meatballs + the sauce, that will take too much time and energy. However, if I have the meatballs from bigger batch, mashed potatoes would be fine to do during weekday. Ha, but I'm lazy potatoe masher, I do that (carefully) with electric whisker, so after the potatoes are peeled and boiled, the rest won't take much time. However, I think my ancestors would roll in their graves...

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #28 on: Today at 04:21:54 PM »
I can't stand instant mashed potatoes, I recognise them when they're served as they have a definite texture to them. DH makes the best mash ever, better than my mum.
I try to minimise how much time we cook during the week, sometimes DH and I have to tag team though as I have to feed DS during prep and he can't wait. We usually cook from scratch, it's healthier and we know what's in it.