News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 19, 2018, 05:55:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sous Vide cooking device, any E-hellers use one?  (Read 1034 times)

bloo

Sous Vide cooking device, any E-hellers use one?
« on: October 23, 2017, 02:49:57 AM »
Had the Sous Vide eggs at Starbucks a few weeks ago and almost ordered a Sous Vide off Amazon, but didn't, then saw they sell the set up at Target and almost bought it but didn't (been spending a lot on baking stuff and I kind of need a new oven so I'm gun-shy).
Any of you have/use/do sous Vide cooking?

Mustard

Re: Sous Vide cooking device, any E-hellers use one?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:53:37 AM »
I don't but my daughter was given one.  She rarely uses it now that the novelty has worn off..

lowspark

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »
I don't have one but my son does and he loves it. According to him, it cooks meat to the perfect temperature throughout, then you just sear it to get the brown outside.

He did sous vide some vegetables when I visited him recently and they were good, but I'm not sure that they were *all* that much better than just say, roasting them in the oven. I mean, it was a nice different way of cooking them, but not necessarily superior, just different.

Me? The last thing I need is another kitchen appliance, particularly since I don't cook nearly as much now that my kids are grown.

I'm mainly posting here to see what others think.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

Hmmmmm

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
I've had one for a few years. Started with the Sensaire one. Really liked it for some recipes but probably only used it once or twice a month. It quit working after about 2.5 years. Decided to not replace but then got an option to get the Anova bluetooth version for about half price so purchased it. It's a smaller foot print but works as well as the Sensaire version.

Things I like to make
-The above mentioned egg cups. I'll make about a half dozen and keep in the fridge. I acttualy prefer the full egg version instead of just egg whites.
-Cooking pork ribs and then finishing on the smoker. I get to really control the temp and then finish the last 2 hours on my smoker and most people can't tell they weren't smoked the entire time.
-Steaks.... great for cooking to a perfect temp and then searing to get a good crust.
-Fish is awesome
-Limoncello
-Making poached eggs. You start in the shell in the sous vide to just barely set egg white. Then gently peel and finish in simmering water. You end up with the most luscious egg yolk that is silky smooth.
-Corn on the cob. You really can't over cook it this way and can stay warm for hours. Great for big groups.
-Glazed carrots

There is also a way to do great "fried chicken". You could the chicken or tenders sous vide with the flavors you want. Then you dip in your breading or coating and quickly pan fry to get crispy. Always turns out flavorfull and juicy. But some wouldn't want to do the 2 steps.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »
I have the Sensaire. Totally love it. It just makes the best steaks ever. Period.

I have also done a few other things but I'm just too busy to look up recipes before my weekly grocery shopping trip. I really want to make a pork shoulder.

As much as I would love sous-vide eggs for breakfast, I am not getting up in the middle of the night to get them started....

miranova

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
It intrigues me, but I'm running out of places to store things in my kitchen.  And I'm not sure how often I would use it.  It seems like it's best for steaks, and we don't make steak at home all that often.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »
It intrigues me, but I'm running out of places to store things in my kitchen.  And I'm not sure how often I would use it.  It seems like it's best for steaks, and we don't make steak at home all that often.

They are great for soft boiled eggs too! I am thinking of getting one, but I've had eggs made in this way.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Cleargleam

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
I bought one last weekend.  I haven't had much chance to use it yet, but I'm enchanted.  I did make a variation on the sous vide eggs, and loved them. 

I will say, investigate the ancillary equipment.  Oh, I need a food saver vacuum seal system! (I really find it's worth it, but I had one already.) Oh, I need a big enough container with a cutout lid!  (Evaporation is a thing over a long cook.) Oh, I need glass jars with metal lids!  (For cooking eggs, puddings, etc.)  I'm in the "three trips to the hardware store" phase with mine.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 12:23:01 PM »
DH the Chef has requested one for his b-day/Xmas, and is looking forward to playing with it. I am, too, once I found out I can make yogurt with it (I could with a crock pot, theoretically, but I believe the sous vide will allow for more precise temperature control than my crock pot's warm, low, and high.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Cleargleam

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »
I have the Sensaire. Totally love it. It just makes the best steaks ever. Period.

I have also done a few other things but I'm just too busy to look up recipes before my weekly grocery shopping trip. I really want to make a pork shoulder.

As much as I would love sous-vide eggs for breakfast, I am not getting up in the middle of the night to get them started....

The sous vide eggs I made over the weekend were *amazing*.   But I prepped them over the course of the weekend, and cooked them on a lazy morning.  It would seriously almost be worth bringing the immersion heater to the office to cook them at work.  :)

I made little frozen pucks of blended eggs and spices poured over sausage, and eggs blended with ricotta cheese.  I placed the sausage in silicone baking cups, then topped with egg.  For the egg and ricotta, I just poured the mixture into baking cups.  Once the pucks were frozen, I vacuum sealed them by two or three into bags.  25 minutes at 172, and .. bliss. 

buvezdevin

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 05:59:20 PM »
I have the Joule, which I had been considering since it first came out, though wanted to see reviews/pricing over some time before buying.  I chose Joule over other options for the ability to use in very small or larger pots/cooks, slightly faster “up to temp” heating reviews than Anova, and... Alexa integration, though I don’t think that functionality matters greatly for sous vide I am ridiculously fond of Alexa.

The clincher for me deciding to buy any sous vide circulator was the Starbucks egg bites (yum) and the blogosphere articles on multiple ways to make even better versions at home.

I loaned the Joule to a work colleague before I ever used it, as my schedule the week I received it was busy and I know he is an avid foodie and cook.  He bought himself one the week after he returned mine, without waiting for a sale, because he immediately found pork cops cooked any other way did not compare well.

I have since used my Joule for steaks, egg bites, vegetables, etc.  Things I have not yet tried but look forward to include Creme brûlée, infusing alcohol and oil, quick pickling, and am sure the internet will keep serving up ideas.

Completely love it, bought one on sale recently as a Christmas gift for a brother of mine, and recommend fully! 
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

illini

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »
I love it.  The steaks, lamb chops and chicken breasts I've done come out incredible.  I also have used it for salmon, and some pre marinated frozen fish from Costco.  I get a big pack of meat when it is on sale, season them, pack them individually and throw them in the freezer.  Than a couple of hours before dinnertime I can toss it in the sous vide, roast some veggies and be done.  I've also taken to freezing individual servings of marinara sauce with meatballs and using the sous vide to warm it up. 

bloo

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »
Thx so much for your input, all of you! I'll do a little more research on the brands you mentioned. The Anova is readily available at Target but I'm not shy about purchasing online.