News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 19, 2017, 03:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weddings  (Read 1105 times)

scotcat60

Weddings
« on: October 29, 2017, 06:52:51 AM »
I have watched episodes of "Say Yes to the Dress". The final moments show brides and grooms at their weddings, but then they appear to walk out of the church/venue straight afterwards. In the UK, a couple signs the marriage register in the church/venue a copy of which is given to them. Do US couples sign a marriage register at the ceremony?

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Weddings
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:16:04 AM »
The procedure varies a little depending on which US state you're getting married in.  The couple applies for a marriage license at the appropriate government office, most states have a waiting period of a few days.  The officiant, couple, and witnesses sign the license right after the ceremony.  The officiant then submits the license back to the government office.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 07:43:17 AM »
The certificate is generally signed by whomever is legally required to do so* at some point on the wedding day. I don't know know that it's ever specifically required to be signed immediately after the ceremony or at the ceremony site. We don't have something called a "register" in this case, as far as I know, though states may vary.

*States also vary on signature requirements. Some don't require anyone to officiate (and sign), but most do. The couple always has to sign. Whether witnesses are required also varies. When I married, the certificate had room for 2 witnesses to sign, but it was entirely optional. We had our mothers sign as a gesture of thanks.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 07:49:59 AM »
We signed a ledger for the church's records, but that didn't have anything to do with the official license

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 08:28:48 AM »
We filled out the certificate at the rehearsal the night before the wedding. The officiant had it, but he wouldn’t sign until after the ceremony, but then he was the one who submitted it to the state.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:59:18 PM by Two Ravens »

LemonZen

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
We signed ours during the ceremony, after the vows. Every wedding I have been to (Canada) has been the same. I don't know how true that is for US weddings, but I know the wedding part of those shows are very edited and usually only show a couple highlights so it's likely that part doesn't make air even if they do sign during the ceremony.

Luci

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 12:26:01 PM »
We went to the church and did all of the signing right after the receiving line 51 years ago.

Dear granddaughter was married yesterday at the hotel venue, not a religious ceremony. After the receiving line, the people who had to sign met in a small office just off the banquet room to sign the paperwork.

We were married in southern Illinois, DGD in central.

A lot of things are just staged for those reality shows.

mime

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »
I've never seen anyone sign during the ceremony. It's usually handled after the receiving line winds down and folks head to the party. The officiant just rounds up the few people who need to sign and it takes about 3 minutes.

TwinMama

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »
I got married in Texas. The minister had us sign the marriage license individually while we were getting ready for the ceremony. I believe he signed it after the official ceremony but I didn't actually see him do it.

katycoo

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »
In Australia its definitely a part of the ceremony, usually right after the vows.  There's often a musical performance during that time.

Luci

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »
We went to a Jewish wedding  couple of years ago. It was pretty casual. The couple met the rabbi at the podium beside the canopy and signed the paperwor, including that for the temple records. Then they went out and did the usual parents walking the bride up to the aisle.

This was the only one I’ve been to, so I have no way to know if that was usual or not.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 03:53:02 AM »
In Australia its definitely a part of the ceremony, usually right after the vows.  There's often a musical performance during that time.

Same. The table is usually nicely decorated and there are photos of the couple sitting down and the witnesses signing..

Hmmmmm

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 09:25:51 AM »
This question had me scratching my head because I had no memory of signing my marriage certificate. I asked DH, and he had no memory of it either. So I looked at the certificate and realized there is no place on the ones from our county and state for the couple or any witnesses to sign. The process here is the couple goes to the courthouse and applies for a marriage license. The county clerk issues the license and signs  it validating that we both applied. Then the couple gives the certificate to the officiant who signs it after the ceremony and sends it off to be filed and you later apply for a copy of the certificate. We did sign the church ledger after the wedding when we went back into the sanctuary for photos.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
I officiated at a wedding last year and I signed the license along with the couple (we were in Maryland.) Then I mailed it back to the the state office.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MrTango

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 09:06:18 PM »
At our wedding, LadyTango and I (along with our witnesses and the officient) signed the paperwork during the Mass.

At a wedding in which I served as a witness, we signed the legal paperwork immediately after the rehearsal the day before the Mass.

At another wedding in which I served as the witness, everyone was brought into the minister's office right before the ceremony began to sign the forms.

(All three of these were in the US State of Minnesota, but in three different counties)