News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 06, 2016, 12:15:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DVD formats  (Read 1236 times)

baritone108

DVD formats
« on: September 14, 2016, 08:55:33 PM »
I know that there was a European videotape format which would not play in American VHS or Beta machines (PAL?).  Is there a similar DVD format or do American DVDs play in European machines and vice-versa?

Marga

Re: DVD formats
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 09:18:55 PM »
The only problem you might have is the region, which is software,not hardware: get a region-free DVD player and it will be fine.

baritone108

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 11:33:33 PM »
Thanks!

Chez Miriam

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:14:39 AM »
I got a multi-region DVD player because my HP laptop would only let me change region four (or maybe five) times.  Either let me change region, or don't - don't ration it! ::)  Now I just look for the cheapest DVD, and not "will this be Region 2?  Why haven't you listed that?".  It was well worth the extra initial outlay.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 08:36:42 AM »
There's also software you can buy for laptops to make them any region players.  Was what I did for my parents so they could play UK DVDs.
Rogers/Barnes 2016 - With You 'til the End of the Line.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 09:43:58 AM »
There's also software you can buy for laptops to make them any region players.  Was what I did for my parents so they could play UK DVDs.

Kiara, can you remember what the software was?  I'm really reluctant to buy/download software from the net without a recommendation!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Marga

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 12:37:13 PM »

Kiara, can you remember what the software was?  I'm really reluctant to buy/download software from the net without a recommendation!

I use VLC media player: it's free, small and easy to use and ignores all regions.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 12:41:32 PM »

I use VLC media player: it's free, small and easy to use and ignores all regions.

Thanks, Marga; I'm always wary of "free" stuff as I wouldn't know who is genuine and which companies are scammers.  I like having an actual person say something is safe.  :)

Marga

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 01:27:07 PM »

Thanks, Marga; I'm always wary of "free" stuff as I wouldn't know who is genuine and which companies are scammers.  I like having an actual person say something is safe.  :)

VLC is my default player now. It does exactly what it needs to do. And I love being able to hook my laptop up to my TV through HDMI and watch my movies on the big screen.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 02:54:31 PM »

Mine was AnyDVD - there's a charge for it, but it was easy to use, which was a key for my parents.  :-)
Rogers/Barnes 2016 - With You 'til the End of the Line.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 03:51:42 PM »
Thanks, both of you [and sorry to baritone108 for threadjacking :-[ ].

That gives me two alternatives, and if I can hook up the laptop to the TV - that will make life so much easier!  [I went into an electronics chain to ask for the relevant cable a couple of years ago, and they told me that wasn't possible; I didn't believe them, but didn't know the word for what I wanted, so gave up. :-\]

Marga

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 10:37:21 PM »

That gives me two alternatives, and if I can hook up the laptop to the TV - that will make life so much easier!  [I went into an electronics chain to ask for the relevant cable a couple of years ago, and they told me that wasn't possible; I didn't believe them, but didn't know the word for what I wanted, so gave up. :-\]

Check the jacks on your TV, HDMI will probably work, but check jacks to be sure, as well as your source choices on your TV menu.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 03:36:50 AM »

Check the jacks on your TV, HDMI will probably work, but check jacks to be sure, as well as your source choices on your TV menu.

Thanks.  I've made a note of the two options for using my laptop as a DVD player, I will add that to it.  Sadly, I have to go now, and do some real work. ;)

blarg314

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 02:02:58 AM »

Not all laptops can use software to play multi region DVDs, however.  Some DVD drives/operating systems have the region coding hard-wired into the DVD player itself - if this is so, can only change the region code five times (total), and software won't bypass it.

If software does work, I second VLC - it's free, it's reliable, and it it plays a wide variety of different formats (not just DVDs).

If it doesn't, the easiest thing to do in this case is to buy an external USB DVD drive (but don't buy an Apple one!) and plug that in. I have an LG brand that works well.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 05:28:22 AM »

Not all laptops can use software to play multi region DVDs, however.  Some DVD drives/operating systems have the region coding hard-wired into the DVD player itself - if this is so, can only change the region code five times (total), and software won't bypass it.

If software does work, I second VLC - it's free, it's reliable, and it it plays a wide variety of different formats (not just DVDs).

If it doesn't, the easiest thing to do in this case is to buy an external USB DVD drive (but don't buy an Apple one!) and plug that in. I have an LG brand that works well.

Thanks blarg314.  I've been too busy to want to watch DVDs [so the software is still on my "To-Do" pile], but my laptop gives me the warning that I can only change region another X times [and five is ringing a loud bell], so I will remember the external DVD drive when I find time to look into it [I've saved all the suggestions on a Word doc on my desktop so I don't lose them!].