News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 02, 2016, 08:24:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tell me about jello salad...  (Read 3895 times)

Thipu1

Re: Tell me about jello salad...
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »
This isn't a salad but an interesting use of jello is the poke cake.

Usually, these are white cakes.  When the cake is assembled but still warm and before it is frosted, holes are punched in the top and liquid jello is poured in.  The cake is then refrigerated until the jello sets. Then, the cake is frosted.  When it's cut there are interesting stripes of pastel color and fruit flavor inside the cake. 

The most spectacular example of the poke cake uses a dark chocolate cake and a red jello.  When the cake is cut it appears to bleed.

Isn't that perfect for a Halloween party?   

Mustard

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2016, 05:53:33 PM »
I've used Google lots of times since I found Ehell; poke cakes look interesting!

mandycorn

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2016, 04:28:45 PM »
I had a roommate who made a non-jello version of the poke cake - instead of the jello she'd use a canned frozen strawberry daquiri base and then freeze the whole thing. She made it non-alcoholic, so it actually refroze pretty firmly and made for an easy variation on an ice cream cake.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

minky

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2016, 06:45:43 PM »
We used to eat jello with milk on it.  My husband said he did, too, so it may be a Northeastern US thing.

I make a really good jello mold for Thanksgiving with cherry jello, celery, and crushed pineapple, along with fresh cranberries, a small orange with peel and walnuts ground up in the old metal meat grinder.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2016, 07:11:37 PM »
:-\  You guys are making me feel bad.

I only make Jello once (or maybe twice) a year.  The one Jello I always make is at either Thanksgiving or Christmas time and it's basically a small pkg of raspberry Jello (using only one cup or less of water to dissolve it -- no cold water at all) mixed with cranberry orange relish, chopped apples and walnut pieces.  There is so much "stuff" in the Jello that you can't really see the Jello at all.  In effect, it just holds the other ingredients together.

The only other kind I ever make is strawberry (as above with no cold water) mixed with real fresh strawberries halved and layered into a dish, spread with sour cream and then the rest layered on top of the sour cream.  Even my kids liked it.

I'm not sure what the word 'savory' means in this particular context.  Can someone please be more specific?  What ingredient(s) would qualify here as savory?

I think you are describing jel-cran-nut sauce. If you are, don't feel bad, that is the best freaking thing ever spread thickly in a dinner roll stuffed with ham and turkey.

I'm drooling.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2016, 06:54:22 PM »
I didn't see anyone in this thread reference James Lilek's Gallery of Regrettable Food. Jello and other gelatin brands feature often on those pages.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2016, 09:27:21 AM »
I'm active on the Facebook fan page for that gallery.  Thanks for posting the link to it; I wasn't sure whether to put it under "Food" or "Humor."

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2016, 05:36:04 PM »
I eat gelatin often. My favorite thing lately is to make a batch of gelatin with half the water called for, add cream and sour cream. It separates into layers.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

turnip

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2016, 06:49:23 PM »
I listen to old Jack Benny radio shows and his sponsor for a few years was Jello.  The commercials were amazing because every time they'd have some unimaginable fruit/nut/vegetable/salmon(?) concoction that they assured us would be a "Grand and tempting treat sure to delight your friends and family!"

( The other years when the show was sponsored by Lucky Strike also had interesting commercials.  My only sadness is that I'm not comfortable listening to them with my kids just in case they start to believe that smoking is as wonderful as the ads would insist. )

I couldn't resist buying a couple of old "Jack Benny" sponsored jello recipe books off ebay.

My only experience eating jello salad was at my granddaughter's who mixed fruit cocktail in with strawberry jello and let cool.  I also have texture issues so bletch.  I'd try to discretely eat around the fruit filling and just consume the jello part.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2016, 08:30:26 AM »
I eat gelatin often. My favorite thing lately is to make a batch of gelatin with half the water called for, add cream and sour cream. It separates into layers.

Or if you beat the liquid gelatin with a mixer, it separates into 3 layers as it cools in the fridge. 

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2016, 08:32:34 AM »
I'll try it! Thank you!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

mandycorn

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2016, 01:41:23 PM »
^ That sounds like Jello 1-2-3!

I remember making it as a kid, but I haven't seen it in years. I didn't realize just beating regular gelatin would have the same effect!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln