Author Topic: Are mashed potatoes a big deal for you?  (Read 3157 times)

KimberlyM

Re: Are mashed potatoes a big deal for you?
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2014, 07:04:12 PM »
I love potatoes in all forms.  Mashed potatoes are awesome.  I don't find them difficult (depending on my mood I use a hand held masher or my stand mixer, always with good result).  My main reason for not making them often is the amount of dishes/cleaning they entail.  Cleaning up the sink from the dirty peels (if I use russets, if I use red I leave the skin on), the peeler, the knife and cutting board from dicing them, the pot and lid, and then either the masher or the stand mixer bowl, and all of those things have to be hand washed (mostly because my dishwasher is small).

I can scrub a few potatoes and throw them in the oven and not dirty a single dish.  That's my preference. 

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2014, 07:15:47 PM »
I love potatoes in all forms.  Mashed potatoes are awesome.  I don't find them difficult (depending on my mood I use a hand held masher or my stand mixer, always with good result).  My main reason for not making them often is the amount of dishes/cleaning they entail.  Cleaning up the sink from the dirty peels (if I use russets, if I use red I leave the skin on), the peeler, the knife and cutting board from dicing them, the pot and lid, and then either the masher or the stand mixer bowl, and all of those things have to be hand washed (mostly because my dishwasher is small).

I can scrub a few potatoes and throw them in the oven and not dirty a single dish.  That's my preference. 

This is why I purposely buy the small yukon gold or the fingerling potatoes. I can boil or roast them.  If I boil them, I can have mashed potatoes.  If I roast them, I can throw some rosemary and garlic on the pan and smash them afterwards.  either way, I'm happy. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2014, 08:31:54 AM »
I use a hand mixer - potatoes are really light.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »
To me, mashed potatoes (made by hand) are a big deal, because I don't remember having them often as a kid. I mentioned this thread to my mom, and she kind of shrugged and said homemade mashed potatoes weren't a big deal to her, because she had them nearly every day when she was young. But then when she grew up she never made them for me! But, I've noticed that several times with her--she was the oldest girl in a large family without much money, and she did a lot of the cooking. Dishes that they had a lot she's kind of "over" and not interested in making as an adult. Therefore they end up seeming exotic to me.
~Lynn2000

ChinaShepherdess

• “Never bet your money on another man's game.”
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2014, 12:52:37 PM »
Mashed potatoes are one of the dishes I look most forward to on Thanksgiving! I don't think they're really rare or a big deal -- my mother made them three or four times a week, as a go-to starchy side dish when I was growing up -- but as an adult, I almost never make them aside from holidays because they're a little more decadent and time-consuming than my own go-tos. Basically, if it's not a one-pot or slowcooker dish, I rarely make it.

But the bigger reason I consider mashed potatoes more of a holiday treat: holidays are the only time that I go to the fuss of making homemade gravy, and mashed potatoes are such a perfect canvas for a stunning gravy!

magicdomino

« Reply #95 on: Yesterday at 10:53:17 AM »

But the bigger reason I consider mashed potatoes more of a holiday treat: holidays are the only time that I go to the fuss of making homemade gravy, and mashed potatoes are such a perfect canvas for a stunning gravy!

I thought of that too.  When I roast a big chunk o' meat, it is with sandwiches in mind for the leftovers, and a gravy-soaked sandwich would be soggy by the time it is pulled out of the lunch bag.  Drippings are more likely to be incorporated into soup than gravy.  I seldom have gravy of any sort unless I'm at a restaurant.

Anniissa

« Reply #96 on: Yesterday at 11:27:49 AM »
I think I am getting the idea here that anyone who loves "mashed potatoes", is putting  in a lot more stuff, mainly a lot of butter and maybe cheese.

Anyone in the UK do anything other than peel - boil - mash - add a bit of butter and/or (semi-skimmed) milk?  And do any UK (or other non-US) folks serve mash with roast turkey? (Which here is mainly the Christmas dinner.)

If I'm having the mash with a gravy then usually it will be plain mash with a decent amount of butter and either whole or semi-skimmed milk and salt and pepper. I do love a potato so absolutely would have mash with roast turkey (or any roast) and preferably roast potatoes as well. If I'm having mash otherwise then I might add a flavour to the mash to match the meal so maybe mustard mash with pork or horseradish mash with a venison steak or garlic mash with lamb...Mmm I'm feeling really hungry now!

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #97 on: Yesterday at 04:07:20 PM »
I tried something different today. I carmelized some parsnips, turnips and rutabagas. I then added Yukon gold potatoes, chicken stock and salt. I cooked the lot until the potatoes were tender. I used a ricer on them and added milk, chives and pepper to them.

DH asked for something lower carbohydrate. I think this will work.

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #98 on: Yesterday at 11:16:44 PM »
I thought of this thread while my 10 year old son made his first batch of mashed potatoes today. From peeling to mashing, he handled pretty much everything (with supervision of course). We don't typically eat potatoes, but his big sister (15) had specifically requested them, then bailed on making them herself. N loves to cook and was quite happy to take over. They were delicious!