News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 27, 2016, 11:56:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Attending a Scottish Wedding  (Read 785 times)

TabathasGran

Attending a Scottish Wedding
« on: June 04, 2016, 03:12:57 PM »
Hello, I need the help of wise ehellions!

My boyfriend, his son and I have been invited to a wedding in Scotland this summer.

Is there anything special we need to know about etiquette for a swanky wedding in a seaside town?

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
Re: Attending a Scottish Wedding
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 04:47:04 PM »
Hello, I need the help of wise ehellions!

My boyfriend, his son and I have been invited to a wedding in Scotland this summer.

Is there anything special we need to know about etiquette for a swanky wedding in a seaside town?

If the summer I was in Scotland is anything to go by, dress for February -March and bring rain gear.

TabathasGran

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 05:04:34 PM »
Thanks EllenS! I was definitely not thinking about that.

Snooks

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 03:53:58 PM »
Weddings in the UK don't require men to wear a dinner jacket/tux, a regular suit will be just fine.  Some of the men will be wearing kilts, your boyfriend and his son do not need to (I guess if they wanted to they could).  For you anything from a knee-length dress (avoid full length) to trousers and a nice top will be fine.  Etiquette wise, there will probably be a cash bar for the evening.  During the meal wine is likely to be provided, champagne might be circulated before the meal with canapés.

lovestoread

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 06:22:38 AM »
The weather is glorious is Scotland just now.. looks like we're on track for a great summer as well!  8)

Not too much to add after previous posters, apart from being 99.9% sure that it'll be a cash bar! 

They may have a ceilidh, which are great fun, but you'll want comfortable shoes (i've been to weddings where all the women basically took their shoes off after dinner, in preparation for the dancing, but that was an islander wedding)

The last 2 songs of the night tend to be The Bonnie Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond and 500 Miles.  All the guests get in a big circle round the bride and groom, join hands and run towards them and away for them (it sounds odd but its really fun!)

My first real blog!!  (all comments appreciate

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 03:20:27 PM »
The weather is glorious is Scotland just now.. looks like we're on track for a great summer as well!  8)

Not too much to add after previous posters, apart from being 99.9% sure that it'll be a cash bar! 

They may have a ceilidh, which are great fun, but you'll want comfortable shoes (i've been to weddings where all the women basically took their shoes off after dinner, in preparation for the dancing, but that was an islander wedding)

The last 2 songs of the night tend to be The Bonnie Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond and 500 Miles.  All the guests get in a big circle round the bride and groom, join hands and run towards them and away for them (it sounds odd but its really fun!)

1) In the US weddings I've been to, this is nearly universal for women under 40-ish, and common for all ages. Especially where there is a tradition of circle dances, like Greek Orthodox or Jewish weddings.

2) One of my all-time faves, but I don't think I've heard it in standard reception repertoire over here.

Cool.

TabathasGran

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 05:10:07 PM »
Weddings in the UK don't require men to wear a dinner jacket/tux, a regular suit will be just fine.  Some of the men will be wearing kilts, your boyfriend and his son do not need to (I guess if they wanted to they could).  For you anything from a knee-length dress (avoid full length) to trousers and a nice top will be fine.  Etiquette wise, there will probably be a cash bar for the evening.  During the meal wine is likely to be provided, champagne might be circulated before the meal with canapés.

Thanks Snooks! Esp for the heads up on the cash bar. And I hope so as it would be nice to have something to slow us all down. 😀

TabathasGran

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »

Sounds super fun! I'm so excited about this wedding! Both for the happy couple and for the opportunity to attend such an event in Scotland. Seems like a once in a lifetime treat for a girl from a small town.

saki

« Reply #8 on: Today at 07:32:14 AM »
I think the main things to be aware of are:

weddings in the UK are daytime events, not evening events, so you dress accordingly - men don't wear dinner jackets, women don't wear long evening dresses.  In particular, women tend to wear coloured dresses - you might see the odd black dress these days but it's not common - and hats/fascinators/some kind of hair ornament.

cash bars are much more common in the UK so come with some cash.