News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 25, 2016, 08:26:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/0 Shared laundry facility  (Read 871 times)

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
Re: S/0 Shared laundry facility
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 11:14:15 PM »
I own my home and have a washer and dryer.  I still occasionally use a laundromat because they have huge over-size washers.  The last time I used it was when a cat had digestive issues on a couple of bed pillows.  Before that was when a different cat managed to foul the 53" (1.3 meter) diameter dog bed.  I've seen other people in there washing sleeping bags. 

They also have standard-size washers which a home owner might use while their washer is broken or if there is an extended power failure. 

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the "Wash Pub".  There's one in Omaha and I think in other US cities.  Its exactly what it sounds like - a bar connected to a laundromat.  You can have a sandwich and drink a few beers while doing your laundry.  I've never been in one but the one here looks nice from the outside.

Yes, there's one down the hill that I've used when my home machine is broken, or a couple of times when various medical incidents required that *all* the bedding be washed *now*.

Some of my friends with larger, sporty kids will use the big machines for occasional cleanings of whatever underlayments the kids wear all season. (Hockey pads? I think?)  But I'd never shlep my stuff down there regularly, by choice.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #31 on: Today at 06:13:42 AM »

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the "Wash Pub".  There's one in Omaha and I think in other US cities.  Its exactly what it sounds like - a bar connected to a laundromat.  You can have a sandwich and drink a few beers while doing your laundry.  I've never been in one but the one here looks nice from the outside.

I've heard of them, but have never seen one.  I don't know how common they are.   

Mustard

« Reply #32 on: Today at 06:21:13 AM »

I've only had one or two units with hook-ups if I bought my own machines, so it never really occurred to me to do so; friends who bought them had to really work, and sometimes spend more money, to find rentals where they could set them up.

I'm not sure if I've got this right: does 'hook-ups' refer to the necessary plumbing/power for the washing machine/dryer?

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #33 on: Today at 06:56:35 AM »

I've only had one or two units with hook-ups if I bought my own machines, so it never really occurred to me to do so; friends who bought them had to really work, and sometimes spend more money, to find rentals where they could set them up.

I'm not sure if I've got this right: does 'hook-ups' refer to the necessary plumbing/power for the washing machine/dryer?

Yes