News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here:   

• October 26, 2016, 09:06:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Host gift for student exchange  (Read 647 times)

• Extreme normcore
Re: Host gift for student exchange
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 12:49:08 PM »
Our grocers (New England area) have a small UK/Ireland/Australia section (even the pokier stores) that nearly always has TimTams. When I lived in Texas, I only recall Fiesta (international grocers) and Cost Plus World Market having such things.

Not that you shouldn't bring edibles (kids in particular will love treats), but we are an increasingly globally aware nation when it comes to food.

I don't quite know what a tea towel is, as I didn't really grow up with tea and use what I have always heard referred to as kitchen towels (and sponges), so that's a maybe from me, too. (Also, I have all the trivets and coasters I'll ever need, and have never used a paperweight, so maybe I'm just not a "stuff" person and you should disregard everything I say!)

I think you should keep your costs low and items on the edible or disposable side. It's so hard to buy gifts for strangers.

Chez Miriam

Re: Host gift for student exchange
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 01:26:59 PM »
In the UK [or at least my part of it], a tea towel is a drying-up cloth made from cotton or linen or a mix of the two ["linen union"].  Linen leaves less lint behind on the crockery/pots & pans, and is particularly good for glassware; they are often called glass cloths on the red/green/blue & white ones we have - stripes of colour along the long sides, and a band down the middle with the maker's name and "glass cloth" or "linen union" or similar writing in the weave.

Even though dishwashers are much more common now, I still prefer to wash glasses by hand (especially the nice/lead crystal ones), as I've never seen any that go through a dishwasher regularly that don't get that 'bloom' of scratches.  It's probably our water. :-\

Again, where I'm from "kitchen towel" is the paper on a roll that looks like a giant toilet paper roll.  Just "towel", implies a looped-weave towelling fabric hand drying cloth.  Ironically, of course, we call the towel in the kitchen a kitchen towel, too!

I'm guessing way back in the day, tea towels may have had something to do with the meal "tea", but doubt they are linked to the beverage.  Over here, they are a popular gift for people you don't know what to buy for as a present from a holiday, or housewarming gift.  Not everyone likes them, because I quite often see unused ones in charity shops [if they are linen, I snap them up; linen doesn't last as long as the cotton ones].
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich