News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 22, 2015, 09:25:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dean's List  (Read 116 times)

Margo

Dean's List
« on: Today at 05:28:58 PM »
Could some of the American e-hellions explain what this is?
A young American friend of mine who has just completed their first semester at Columbia University has made the Dean's List, and while I'm aware that this is impressive, I'm not sure exactly what is involved. Is it purely based on academic merit, for instance? And is it something which has material benefits as well as being an academic achievement?

Kiwipinball

Re: Dean's List
« Reply #1 on: Today at 05:30:40 PM »
Dean's list at the school I went to was purely based on grades. And it did not have any material benefits other than being able to list it as an award. Generally it is quite an achievement. I did not got to an Ivy League school so I'm not sure if they do things at all differently.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:35:44 PM »
At my university, it was strictly based on your grades for the quarter/semester. IIRC, you needed a GPA of 3.2 out of 4.  There was no other benefit other than saying you were on the Dean's list.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:59:32 PM »
It's the same at my university. At least a 3.2 for the semester is required. A 4.0 for a semester gets you the president's list, which is more prestigious. Either appears on your official transcript for the term awarded.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: Today at 06:42:03 PM »
'Making the Dean's List' is based purely on academic merit.  It's the college equivalent of 'getting all A's on your report card'.  Parents can kvell about it but the only thing it really means is the pressure to make the Dean's list next semester.