News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 26, 2016, 03:55:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Host gift for student exchange  (Read 72 times)

Lillybet

Host gift for student exchange
« on: Yesterday at 06:40:44 PM »
Morning everyone,

I have a quick question about host/hostess gifts.  Later this year I'm taking a small group of kids to America as part of a school based program. During their stay they (and I) are going to be hosted by American families.  I've told the kids they need to bring a gift for their hosts but I'm not sure about the following things (if you are staying with someone in Australia you might take them out to dinner or bring wine - neither of which I can ask 16 year olds to do).

So my questions are:

When is it culturally appropriate to give a gift to your hosts?
What should the kids bring as gifts (remember it's got to go through customs and spend 10 days in their suitcase...  :o )

Is there anything else that the kids should be aware of when it comes to this sort of thing?

Sharnita

Re: Host gift for student exchange
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:58:02 PM »
Something that is smallish and easily transportable (and acceptable to customs) that represents their home. A token of their city/community. Something their region is proud of and known for.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Host gift for student exchange
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:29:57 PM »
Non-perishable, non-breakable regional food item?  Not sure about customs regulations about food, though.