Author Topic: Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange  (Read 272307 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange
« Reply #3900 on: June 30, 2011, 10:39:06 PM »
Bethalize, I guess I wasn't fully alert when I posted that.  I was wondering how popular it was.  It never would have occurred to me to ask except for this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/chopped-all-stars-ep.-2-recap/71395.html

Alboury

• Evil Iggy
  • Nemo me impune definit.
« Reply #3901 on: July 01, 2011, 06:06:47 AM »
Hmm. I suppose I have done enough road construction to give my opinion on lowered speed limits.

At least in Europe, the visible sign is the one to follow, and the area it affects starts immediately behind it. So when a lowered limit sign is visible, according to law you should drive at the lowered limit. Nothing complicated about that. Actually, one of the biggest arguments in the project I'm working on at the moment is about lowered speed limits under a pair of bridges. Our opinion is that the limits are lowered all the way until all work under the bridges is done - it's one of the most dangerous environments to work in, on a dual two-lane carriageway under a bridge. Our overseer, a good-for-nothing lineage planner, simply cannot understand it, but we have managed to shut his gob nevertheless.

As a general instruction about road construction sites, I'd beg you people to remember that they are somebody's work place. Speeding or ignoring other signs on my site would be just like I decided to come sit on your office table, spilling coffee around and playing Stayin' Alive full volume from a portable radio. With the exception that our lives are in danger when people ignore signs. One week ago, I was nearly killed four times in two days.

I shall join in the beer conversation later on. I totally love beer, it's my favourite branch of culinarism, along with whiskey. Although wine is great, too!
Row, row, row thy boat gently down the stream.
Oh Charon, hast thou ever know'd that Death is but a dream?"

toontownnutter

« Reply #3902 on: July 01, 2011, 07:37:32 AM »
Lower speed limit applies 24/7 even without presence of workmen. Police used to sit with the radar in one set of roadworks which took over a year to complete on a Sunday afternoon.

katycoo

« Reply #3903 on: July 01, 2011, 08:22:54 AM »
Okay, on the "Escalating" thread, someone mentioned that strollers are allowed on escalators in Paris.  Is this accurate? 

Here in the States, sure strollers are allowed, but without a kid in it!  You need to take the child out for safety's sake!

How is this situation handled elsewhere?

I'm unaware of any restrictions about who/what can go on an escalator in Australia.  I'm guessing they expect us to use common sense.

Re the construction speed limit. You're supposed to do the posted limit regardless of whether workers are present or not.   I choose to go with the traffic.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #3904 on: July 01, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »
Bethalize, I guess I wasn't fully alert when I posted that.  I was wondering how popular it was.  It never would have occurred to me to ask except for this:

The video isn't showing for me. Put it this way: it's like any traditional food. If your parents served it, it's your comfort food. I don't know anyone who has it as a regular part of their menu plan although I have met the occasional Scottish person who does. You can buy it in UK supermarkets so there must be a good sprinkling of people who eat it. I don't think you need to can it particularly though as it's fairly portable once wrapped.

Snooks

« Reply #3905 on: July 01, 2011, 10:17:06 AM »

The video isn't showing for me. Put it this way: it's like any traditional food. If your parents served it, it's your comfort food. I don't know anyone who has it as a regular part of their menu plan although I have met the occasional Scottish person who does. You can buy it in UK supermarkets so there must be a good sprinkling of people who eat it. I don't think you need to can it particularly though as it's fairly portable once wrapped.

I eat haggis fairly regularly and I live in the East of England.  Never have a problem finding it.

marcel

« Reply #3906 on: July 01, 2011, 11:02:54 AM »
Posted speed limits at road work in The Netherlands:
You always have to follow them, since letting people determine for themselves whether or not there are workers present is simply too dangerous.
On practically all freeways here we have matrix signs anyway, so there speed limits can easily be put up and taken off again.

re escalator:
That is your own responsibility here, for as far as I know.
The escalator I am monitoring right now, I don't care who or what gets on it, as long as they don't hit the emergency stop without reason, and don't stand still within the area of stagnancy detection (I realise people are not aware of the latter) As an aside, this escalator is actually mostly used by cyclists.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Louie_LI

« Reply #3907 on: July 01, 2011, 01:34:47 PM »
Okay, on the "Escalating" thread, someone mentioned that strollers are allowed on escalators in Paris.  Is this accurate? 

Here in the States, sure strollers are allowed, but without a kid in it!  You need to take the child out for safety's sake!

Do you doubt my veracity? ;)

I see people taking strollers (with child inside) on the escalators in the Metro everyday. There are no signs forbidding it. It seems safer to me than when I see a rather petite woman pick up the stroller (still with child inside) and start to carry it down a steep flight of stairs crowded with other people. There are very few elevators in the metro.

Larrabee

« Reply #3908 on: July 01, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »

Do you doubt my veracity? ;)

I see people taking strollers (with child inside) on the escalators in the Metro everyday. There are no signs forbidding it. It seems safer to me than when I see a rather petite woman pick up the stroller (still with child inside) and start to carry it down a steep flight of stairs crowded with other people. There are very few elevators in the metro.

I think buggies (strollers) on continental Europe tend to be be more lightweight and compact than the behemoths that are common in the US and to a lesser extent the UK!

The tube in London also has very few lifts (elevators), the maps have symbols telling you which stations do.  Its not ideal for disabled people but its very hard to put them retroactively into a hundred plus year old system of tunnels under a major city!  Luckily you can get everywhere on the disabled accessible buses, it just takes more time.

Weez

« Reply #3909 on: July 02, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »

Question for Brits:  Haggis in a can?

No, just no!

It exists, but I wouldn't recommend it.  From what I've seen, it tends to be marketed to tourists (along with the musical Nessie toys), so really just novelty value.  For the good stuff, you need a decent butcher.

sweetgirl

« Reply #3910 on: July 03, 2011, 09:05:30 AM »
I just cut up a pumpkin for some scones and pumpkin pie tmw and all I can say is....Y'all are nuts making jack'0'lanterns at halloween. Took me 2 hrs to cut the dingdangity thing. How do you cut the faces into it?

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3911 on: July 03, 2011, 09:09:26 AM »
In the past week, I've read two novels by British authors which had characters named "Gotobed."

How do you pronounce this name? Go-to-bed? Got-o-bed? Or some other way?

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3912 on: July 03, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
I read a book that had a character named Gotobed in it and the main character was told it's Got-o-bed and that it was (if I remember correctly) Danish.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3913 on: July 03, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »
I just cut up a pumpkin for some scones and pumpkin pie tmw and all I can say is....Y'all are nuts making jack'0'lanterns at halloween. Took me 2 hrs to cut the dingdangity thing. How do you cut the faces into it?

It takes a sharp knife. First you cut off the top and scoop out all the seeds inside. Then you go to work cutting out the eyes and mouth. But it's more a sawing motion than a chopping motion. And the riper the pumpkin is, the softer it is.

Not having to peel it saves a lot of time, too.

When I make pumpkin bread or muffins, I just buy a can of pumpkin, as they aren't readily available in supermarkets most of the year.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Nibsey

« Reply #3914 on: July 03, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »

It takes a sharp knife. First you cut off the top and scoop out all the seeds inside. Then you go to work cutting out the eyes and mouth. But it's more a sawing motion than a chopping motion. And the riper the pumpkin is, the softer it is.

Not having to peel it saves a lot of time, too.

When I make pumpkin bread or muffins, I just buy a can of pumpkin, as they aren't readily available in supermarkets most of the year.

Yep that's how I do it too. And it's a hell of alot easier than trying to crave a turnip. One year my Grandad insisted we make a jack o lantern the traditional way he did as a child when you couldn't really get pumpkin over here...lets just say I wouldn't eat turnip for years after that.  :P
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)