Author Topic: Dakota Fanning Crowned Homecoming Queen. Twice.  (Read 3908 times)

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
Dakota Fanning Crowned Homecoming Queen. Twice.
« on: November 19, 2010, 05:23:07 PM »
I was reading in US Weekly about Dakota Fanning, who most recently starred in the latest Twilight movie, being crowned Homecoming Queen, two years in a row.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/09/dakota-fanning-voted-home_n_781087.html

I was reading some of the comments from people, on a couple of different sites, and many people feel like she shouldn't have accepted the honor given how much attention she gets as an A list actress, and that it was especially uncouth to accept it twice, and that she should have declined.

Thoughts?

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: Dakota Fanning Crowned Homecoming Queen. Twice.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:30:49 PM »
According to a different story (http://CRUD MONKEYS!.yahoo.com/blogs/crush/dakota-fanning-crowned-homecoming-queen/500), she was not queen last year, just a princess on the court, which would make sense.  I've never heard of a junior being homecoming Queen.  

I don't see any reason why she shouldn't accept the nomination to the court if her fellow students wanted her there, or what her celebrity has to do with it.  It seems she's done a pretty good job of living like any other teenager and has managed to ingratiate herself with the student body of her school.  I say kudos to her for being the kind of person her fellow students want as Homecoming Queen.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:40:17 PM by Scout Finch »
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 05:46:57 PM »
I kind of agree with Scout Finch. But I can totally understand how since she's an actress/famous person/celebrity and gets talked about a lot, her being made Homecoming queen (after she was on the Homecoming court last year) might be seen as attention grabby.

Ed.

Granny Takes a Trip

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 05:49:31 PM »
According to a different story (http://CRUD MONKEYS!.yahoo.com/blogs/crush/dakota-fanning-crowned-homecoming-queen/500), she was not queen last year, just a princess on the court, which would make sense.  I've never heard of a junior being homecoming Queen.  

I don't see any reason why she shouldn't accept the nomination to the court if her fellow students wanted her there, or what her celebrity has to do with it.  It seems she's done a pretty good job of living like any other teenager and has managed to ingratiate herself with the student body of her school.  I say kudos to her for being the kind of person her fellow students want as Homecoming Queen.

POD. I don't see why she shouldn't accept the honour conferred on her. I might be biased, though-I'm a big fan of Dakota :)
I have a thousand parents. Sadly they
Dissolve in their own virtues and recede.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
I also heard she was a princess last year.    

Why should she decline just because she's a celebrity?  She's also a student doing the same work and entitled to the same rights as the rest of them.  The other students didn't have to vote for her, but they did and she shouldn't toss that back at them.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
How is it attention grabby for OTHER PEOPLE to vote you to a position?

I'm still struggling to see why this is even a big deal.  She goes to school.  She's a cheerleader.  She got elected to the Homecoming Court.  And??

Granny Takes a Trip

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »
I also heard she was a princess last year.    

Why should she decline just because she's a celebrity?  She's also a student doing the same work and entitled to the same rights as the rest of them.  The other students didn't have to vote for her, but they did and she shouldn't toss that back at them.

The bolded is an excellent point. I think that if she refused, people would accuse her of being stuck up, and trying to distance herself from normal people. In fact, a refusal might very well come off that way. She was voted in, and good for her!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:02:05 PM »
Since she was voted to the positions, I would think that declining it because of her acting career/celebrity status would smack of false modesty. "Oh, I am already so good that some poor mortal should have this"

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »
Not to mention, at the end of the day, she's still just a teenage girl. At 17, it's probably as exciting to be elected homecoming queen  as being in a movie. It would be sad to deny her that simply because of her job.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Granny Takes a Trip

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »
Since she was voted to the positions, I would think that declining it because of her acting career/celebrity status would smack of false modesty. "Oh, I am already so good that some poor mortal should have this"

Exactly. That is what I was trying to express,only you did it more concisely :)

MaggieB

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 02:06:02 AM »

Exactly. That is what I was trying to express,only you did it more concisely :)

I'm leaning this way too.  And how good would the runner-up feel knowing the honor wasn't really hers anyway?

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 11:26:48 AM »
Are we assuming she only got elected because she's a celebrity? She's beautiful and seems to be very smart and nice and down to Earth. It seems likely she'd be in contention for Homecoming Queen even if she weren't famous and I think there's nothing wrong with being on the Homecoming court twice in a row. I didn't go to an American High school, but I'm going to guess that since Homecoming Queen is something awarded in senior year, that most queens were princesses first.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 11:44:30 AM »
In my high school, the same girl was Prom Princess and Homecoming Court in our junior year.  Then senior year she was both Homecoming and Prom Queen.   Nobody expected her to refuse any of those titles and none of my classmates were upset by her winning them.  I don't think it matters that Dakota is a famous actress, this is being voted on by her peers. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 10:58:12 AM »
How is it attention grabby for OTHER PEOPLE to vote you to a position?

I'm still struggling to see why this is even a big deal.  She goes to school.  She's a cheerleader.  She got elected to the Homecoming Court.  And??

This. She was elected by her fellow students. Presumably she didn't stuff the ballot boxes. Why should she decline?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »
Even if you take out the actress part of her, you have a pretty, seemingly smart and nice cheerleader who was elected Homecoming queen. How could this possibly be a surprise/unusual?
The status is not quo!