Author Topic: Post Secret  (Read 7266 times)

Nellop

Post Secret
« on: November 23, 2010, 01:29:04 PM »
I have been a big fan of postsecret for ages - though I find that a lot of the secrets are really down and depressing lately.
Then today I saw this...

I am really really unimpressed with the person who posted this. I believe that to announce something in this vein (that will obviously attract a lot of media speculation) on something like postsecret, and especially with the latest film release - is really really rude.
If it's true (which I have to say I doubt), then this will throw up a lot of questions - and if the people on the postcard find out then they are going to be in termoil if they know that at some point in the past they have had unprotected scrabble. It says 'he will never know her', so why put the idea out there that one of them has a daughter? Just enjoy your child and leave well alone if you don't want things to change.

People are downright rude and it makes me maaaaad!
I tell funny stories and draw terrible drawings:

http://exacerbationofthesituation.blogspot.com

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
Re: Post Secret
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:37:21 PM »
yeah. And way to tell the world that you're a tramp ::)

Betelnut

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »

Yeah, well, the guy is a tramp too.  (If the story is even true...)
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 02:53:15 PM »
I think that this is nuts. It's not very polite to kiss and tell....especially on a very popular website.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:04:05 PM »

It doesn't say that she slept with all of them and she doesn't know who the father is, only that one of them is the father. I think it was done that way to not just come out and say who it is to the general public (or those of the public who read this particular site).

I don't think it is that big a deal. An anonymous post card on an internet site claiming that some random famous person is your kid's father is just not that sensational, i don't think.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

SkyTalon

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 03:35:54 PM »
Anyone else having a song about a woman named Billy Jean stuck in their head?  ::)
This drill will open a hole in the universe!
And that hole will be a path for those behind us!
The dreams of those who've fallen!
The hopes of those who'll follow!
Those two sets of dreams weave together in a double helix!
Drilling a path towards tomorrow!

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:15:18 PM »
I'm not at all familiar with that website, and it's not something I'd be interested in anyway. But yeah posting something like that is despicable. I'm going to go out on a limb though and say it most likely isn't Daniel Radcliffe or Rupert Grint. I didn't say impossible, I said most likely isn't.

Ed.

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 05:44:42 PM »
It really does not phase me that much.  I somehow suspect a lot of celebrities have kids out there that they do not know of.

Though it does raise the interesting point of how you would go about trying to get a DNA test for a one night stand with a celeb. 

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 05:45:54 PM »
An unsubstantiated rumour to an anonymous website about an alleged relationship with some unspecified famous person?

I doubt any of those men will spend a moment of their lives worrying about that at all or that it would attract any media attention.

Wavicle

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 06:11:27 PM »
For people unfamiliar with the site, it is an art project where people write secret son postcards and send them to a guy who archives them. He posts a collection every Sunday, has released books, and does speaking events. The main site isn't something where people go post whatever they feel like. Sometimes they are goofy and about little things, some will rip your heart out.

I don't think it is possible for art to be rude, especially when it is a submission to a collection that is supposed to be about baring it all and letting down boundaries in a way that can only be done anonymously. I can see why you may think this is tasteless, but the point of post secret is that you can send in anything at all. Its where people get bad things off their chest sometimes, and that postcard made me think so it served its purpose.

If the man sees this an realizes it could be him, I don't think that is really changes the situation for them that much. If it is possible for you to have a child with a woman that you wouldn't know about that postcard wouldn't make that more likely. You still had relations with a woman either casually or ended it so badly that she wouldn't tell you, so all this would do is remind you of that.

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 06:15:58 PM »

It doesn't say that she slept with all of them and she doesn't know who the father is, only that one of them is the father. I think it was done that way to not just come out and say who it is to the general public (or those of the public who read this particular site).

I don't think it is that big a deal. An anonymous post card on an internet site claiming that some random famous person is your kid's father is just not that sensational, i don't think.

No, not at all sensational, and I actually think she's just playing games- but with other people's reputations. If you notice, she herself remains anonomous but has targeted some very high profile men there (this week, at least).

And if it's true, she's slept with at least one of them. I personally have nothing against one night stands, but to publically declare he cared so little about her that he never saw her again is kinda airing dirty. Tacky.

I actually knew a young woman who swore her kid was the illegitimate son of Desi Arnaz, Jr. Could have been, they were both pretty heavily into drugs in hollywood at the same time, but in her case she was trying to get a lawyer to force the paternity test and take him to court, and I have no idea what happened after that. She was penniless, I hope Miss Post Secret is self supporting instead of having society pick up the 18-year tab for her little brush with celebrity.

(goodness I sound judgemental)

Wavicle

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 06:22:51 PM »
No, not at all sensational, and I actually think she's just playing games- but with other people's reputations. If you notice, she herself remains anonomous but has targeted some very high profile men there (this week, at least).

The point of the postcards are that they are anonymous, they all are. They come from hundreds of different people.

I will retract my statement that aren't can't be rude since sometimes it is unavoidable, but if you go out of your way to read postsecret then you just are going to see stuff like this. These things make for sensational and difficult to carry secrets, so many of them are related to scrabble issues that are too shameful to admit to anyone other than a little piece of paper.

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »

The point of the postcards are that they are anonymous, they all are. They come from hundreds of different people.

I will retract my statement that aren't can't be rude since sometimes it is unavoidable, but if you go out of your way to read postsecret then you just are going to see stuff like this. These things make for sensational and difficult to carry secrets, so many of them are related to scrabble issues that are too shameful to admit to anyone other than a little piece of paper.

I'm familiar with the site (and think it's pretty awesome). But an anonomous person saying "I had a crush on Jason Wurzeburger in the first grade" is way different than an anonomous person saying "I had Obama's lovechild" One is cute, the other is tacky.

Or saying "I never told anyone that my music teacher molested me" is heartbreaking, but to say " and his name is Jason Wurzeburger and he still lives on Terrace Drive in Muncie, Indiana" is wrong. It's about secrets, not personal revenge or social justice.

Miss March

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 06:40:11 PM »
Well, for my part, I don't believe this postcard to be true. To me, this is smacks of anyone who says "Did you know that Elvis/JFK/Brad Pitt/etc is the secret father of my child." I saw it on Sunday when it was posted, and I just shook my head and moved on. It strikes me as pretty lame.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Wavicle

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 06:45:35 PM »
OK, I see your point better now. I don't know that it is about personal justice though. She could get that better by going to them and demanding child support and threatening to bring it to the public. I took it as being her feeling like she can't do anything (either because she is ashamed or because she doesn't want to risk them wanting a relationship with her daughter).

Rethinking it more, I would agree it was wrong if they named a specific person. Because these are all celebrities, I don't think is that specific though. Knowing the reputations that celebrites tend to get, I don't think it is that scandalous to say one famous man among 7 could have a kid they don't know about. The thought is kind of ingrained because scandals are so common. I see your point though and I would agree if it had pictures of men that you wouldn't otherwise wonder about the secrets they may have.