Author Topic: Post Secret  (Read 7185 times)

Spoder

Re: Post Secret
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 07:58:08 AM »
I usually love PS, but this doesn't sit right. I think this actually a misuse of the PostSecret concept, if that makes any sense. It seems to go against the spirit of the thing.

If she wasn't doing it just to stir up controversy, she would have put one or two famous people and a bunch of unknowns.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Are those all HP actors? Why does it say HP at the bottom? I would think that that would be a telling part of the "secret," no? am I mis-reading hte card?
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »
Are those all HP actors? Why does it say HP at the bottom? I would think that that would be a telling part of the "secret," no? am I mis-reading hte card?

Well that's done it. Now I'm seeing it as a m-preg fan fiction from the point of view of Harry Potter  :-[

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 09:11:50 AM »

Yes, they are.  Top row is Dan Radcliff, Rupert Grint, the guys who play the Weasley Twins, Tom Fleton (wow, does he look different!)

Bottom row is Jason Isaacs and Alan Rickman.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 09:28:46 AM »

Yes, they are.  Top row is Dan Radcliff, Rupert Grint, the guys who play the Weasley Twins, Tom Fleton (wow, does he look different!)

Bottom row is Jason Isaacs and Alan Rickman.

Ahh, now I see it!  Thank you. 

I agree that this is nothing more than an attention-w**** tryinig to get some attention (press not likely to pick up on it, I'm sure there's TONS of these claims every year).  She phrased it in a way to malign someone, rather than to get something off her chest. In the process, she implicated people having nothing to do with her situation, and that is both self-centered and rude. 

Not only that, but we dont know the circumstances of the situation - did he ever try? Was it a pregnancy despite counter-measures? Did she tell him? All important details when trying to malign someone. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Calypso

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 03:42:28 PM »
Wow! I didn't recognize Jason Isaacs = Lucious Malfoy at all!
What a difference brown hair and no sneer makes  8)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2010, 05:18:39 PM »
This isn't the first post card of this kind. There was another one in the past year that was in a similar vein. I sort of agree with hobish. I can see both sides to this. I guess you could blame Frank Warren, however, for publishing it. He gets thousands of secrets and week, and only publishes 20 of them.

I love PS. I read it every week, and I have seen Frank Warren speak at a local university. I love the project, and all he does for suicide awareness.

I didn't realize that sleeping with one man makes a woman a "tramp." That seems rather uncalled for on an etiquette site.

Well, I'd have a nastier name for a woman who manages to smear 7 men rather than one.

She may not be a tramp - goodness knows, she's probably not even pregnant, just sitting at home chuckling about how her (imagined) public is imagining *her* copulating with all of them. But it's a nasty thing to do, and I would consider it legally actionable if I were one of those men. I'd be suing the site. I don't think this is a "secret" worth publishing, and it's attention-****ing on the site's behalf to descend into smutty gossip.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2010, 06:06:42 PM »

Well that's done it. Now I'm seeing it as a m-preg fan fiction from the point of view of Harry Potter  :-[

*breaks out the brain bleach- it goes really well with scotch*
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Ponytail_Palm

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 06:29:55 PM »
I honestly didn't think much about the postcard when I first saw it - a lot of people admit a lot of questionable things through PS (the one that bothered me this week was the prof who looks at his students' cleavage) - but now that I've seen this discussion I do think the implication of 6 uninvolved men is uncalled for. But in my opinion the fault lies with Frank for publishing the postcard. I imagine he gets lots of sensitive material - people admitting to well-known crimes, people sending in unedited pictures of real victims or perpetrators, etc. - and it's really up to him to decide what's appropriate for public viewing.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 06:51:25 PM »
Tom Fleton (wow, does he look different!)

:o

No joke.  He was the only one I didn't recognize.  I assumed he was either from the new movie or some random Weasley.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 07:11:19 PM »
Actually, I suspect that there may well be 7 "innocent" (as in, not involved in this "secret") men. Possibly just one delusional submitter.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 08:10:12 PM »
Supposing that what the writer said is true:

- 2 people had a one night stand and did not use protection
       neither man nor woman has the moral high ground on this one. Both did it and both have to live with the consequences
       if the writer wanted a relationship, she certainly did not go about it the right way (not that having sex on the first date is wrong)

- Woman becomes pregnant and does not inform the father
       sorry, woman is wrong, wrong, wrong. The father has a right to know that he has a child, the child has the right to have a father. She does not have the right to hide this from both
       also, no one has the obligation to call a one night stand to ask her if she became pregnant (talk about awkward!) or to have a relationship with the person afterwards

MaggieB

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 08:24:59 PM »
Tom Fleton (wow, does he look different!)

:o

No joke.  He was the only one I didn't recognize.  I assumed he was either from the new movie or some random Weasley.

Totally OT, but I heard a radio interview with Tom F this week, and they asked him if he gets recognized everywhere now.  He just laughed and was like "No.  Never."  It is funny how different he looks.

Sorry, back to the issue at hand.

The Opinionator

• You keep using that word.
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
I just figured everyone following this discussion might be interested to know that 3 of the actors(so far) have taken to their personal twitter accounts to deny that they're the father(Tom Felton, James and Oliver Phelps).
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Spoder

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2010, 09:23:10 AM »
Oh, that's interesting!

I still think I would have totally ignored it, if I was any one of them. Or contacted the other 6 'suspects' first and all agreed to stay silent.