Etiquette School is in session! > "Why would I want to do that?"

Re: I'm not your on-call taxi-driver - update page 2, reply #26

<< < (2/11) > >>

hobish:

I'm curious why they wanted you to meet them at the hospital all the time. It just seems ... odd.

I've got a friend with fibromyalgia who Gish and i are both very close to. We've driven her to the hospital before, and driven her to pick up meds when she couldn't in an emergncy; but i can't imagine driving up there every time it flared up, kwim?

something.new.every.day:

--- Quote from: boxy on November 23, 2010, 06:34:02 PM ---*slaps forehead* I can't believe I didn't think of this.  The simplest answer is often the best answer, ignoring them at this stage is perfect.  Thanks E-Hellers.   

--- End quote ---

I think this is a great place to get "permission" to say no.

RegionMom:
Sounds like they are the boy crying wolf--getting you to run to them on command.  I would say NO to the next demand. 
Unless he is in ICU...(confirmed by a.diagnosis/doctor, and not another cry wolf story.
Did they survive that whole  year of loost contact with you and not go to the ER?  You could even joke that you and DH seem to act as a hospital magnet for.them and thus should limit interactions with them.

boxy:
I
--- Quote ---'m curious why they wanted you to meet them at the hospital all the time. It just seems ... odd.
--- End quote ---
   Great question - one I should ask Sharrie.  DH and I have talked about this and he thinks they have no other friends and calling us is a way for them to let someone know they're in crisis.  I think it's all of that plus attention seeking.  When we first met them they were new to the area and we reached out to them because we've moved a lot we understand how hard it is at first.   

In hindsight I'm pleased that we supported them in the beginning because it really was the right thing to do.  I'm equally pleased we backed away when things became all about them.  That distance was a gift.  It was also the right thing to meet them for dinner.  However, having said that, I'm really disappointed that we ran to them when they called.  DH has a big heart though and he likes being there for people.  I actually thought (I'm laughing at myself as I write this) that this time the call she made was legitimate.  Can you believe that instead we catered to a bored 15 year old?   ???

RegionMom made a very valid comment - how in the world did they survive the year we didn't have contact with them?  I know during the year of no contact Oz was in the hospital at least three times with too numerous to count doctor visits scattered in between.  Their son was hospitalized once to have his tonsils taken out.  How did they manage? 

I love this:  You could even joke that you and DH seem to act as a hospital magnet for.them and thus should limit interactions with them. 

Thanks again E-Hellers.  I really appreciate your feedback.

NOVA Lady:
It is truly bizarre that they would call and have you meet them at the hospital. I can see calling your SO or your family....but random friends?

If they call back and try to get you to go to the ER to meet them ask why they need you there and what you could do? Maybe there is some explanation, but I sure cannot think of it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version