Author Topic: A very nice lady in an elevator  (Read 1340 times)

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
A very nice lady in an elevator
« on: November 23, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »
Today my two-year-old and I went to the hospital to visit my sister.  We were walking up to the elevator when the doors opened.  A woman was ahead of us, in a burqa.  Only her hands and eyes were exposed, and she was dressed all in black.

Since we were still walking up to the elevator, the woman held the door open.  I told Peanut to hurry and we started to walk more quickly.

Then Peanut looked up and saw the woman, started shrieking "No!  No!  No!  No!" and dropped to the floor, halfway in the elevator.  I was mortified, but I scooped her up and said it was okay, she was a nice lady.  As soon as the elevator doors closed, the woman lifted her veil and smiled and waved; Peanut looked up and smiled for a second but she was still clinging to me and obviously still scared.  I apologized and the woman very graciously accepted, and said that it was probably just that the baby was so young and had never seen anyone dressed like her before, so she understood if she was frightened.

As we got out of the elevator, the woman waved at Peanut and said goodbye, and Peanut waved and called out, "Bye-bye!"

I was really struck by what an incredibly nice and gracious woman she was, especially considering how strongly Peanut reacted.

princess91765

• A royal pain...
Re: A very nice lady in an elevator
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 06:11:37 PM »
Wow. I would think that wasn't the first time the lady had that kind of reaction from a child. That was really kind and patient of her. I would have probably gotten my feelings hurt had I been her. She was sweet about it.

katycoo

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 07:23:03 PM »
What a nice lady.

Her feelings probably were a little hurt but i think that 'un-scaring' herself to peanut probably made her feel better.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 04:44:31 PM »
How very gracious.

I would think that it would be scary to a two-year old (think about all the halloween costumes that involve black gowns, masks and hoods), and perhaps it wasn't the first time the woman had come across such a reaction from a child.

Rohanna

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 04:49:35 PM »
How very sweet and understanding of her :)  Kids do that sometimes- my two year old doesn't like men with stubble- beards are ok, and shaven is ok- but a couple days of growth on someone's face and he won't go *near* them.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.