Author Topic: Site Maintenance Friday  (Read 1619 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Site Maintenance Friday
« on: November 24, 2010, 07:08:04 AM »
Heads up for everyone.  The entire site will be in maintenance mode from 9:30 pm CDT through Saturday morning about 10:00am.  We are upgrading to a new server with more memory.  Part of the slowdowns people have been experiencing, as well as the server crashing twice this past month, has been due to a problem with RAM memory (I think) so I'm upgrading to a bigger server.  The transfer from old to new server begins at 9:30 pm CDT and should be done in 11-12 hours so everything should be back to normal by 10:00am on Saturday. 

The last time there was a server switch, people barely noticed so hopefully this will be the same experience.  We've been assured there will be no DNS propagation issues.

If you "LIKE" the Facebook Ehell group, you will be able to find out updates about site maintenance issues if the main Ehell web site goes down.   http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Etiquette-Hell/168263695340

squeakers

Re: Site Maintenance Friday
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 05:19:33 AM »
Might I make a suggestion?  Put anything a year or 2 old into "mothballs".  I'm talking the messages on the forum.  It can still be read but not by scrolling back back or by using search.. unless.. see next paragraph.).  This will do 2 things: cut down on people commenting on older messages and maybe give you a little more "room" for all the new messages that will be added over time.

Older stuff could be found under a link to archives etc.  Which could be searchable.  But not as easily as it is now.  And maybe not set to allow trawl bots to peg it?  Which might save a little on bandwidth.

(And, maybe people won't be too quick to say "the consensus of this forum on that topic is...".  Because this is an ever changing forum.  Regulars go away, new comers want to put their 2C in.  Fresh input might give new insight yadda yadda.  And there might be less "but you said 6 years ago the opposite of the advice you are sharing now." Because people grow and change their minds.)

I appreciate the heads up.. while wondering what I will read in the wee hours  ;D
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin