Author Topic: Making a Donation in Someone Else's Name  (Read 3246 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Making a Donation in Someone Else's Name
« on: November 24, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »
I know we've talked about this before, but I want to make sure I'm absolutely clear before I do this.

My best friend has a charity about which she is passionate. As part of her Christmas gift, I'd like to make a donation in her name. I'm fairly certain it's OK because I know for a fact that she supports this particular charity whole-heartedly. However, I'm so tired that I just read the subject of another thread as "Sibling as a Wedding Favor?", so I want to make sure I'm not confused.  ;)
The status is not quo!

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
Re: Making a Donation in Someone Else's Name
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 01:57:54 PM »
I think it's a great gift, since you're sure she supports the charity and is quite enthusiastic about it.

I'm generally pro-charity gifts, though, so I'm curious to hear from other posters who normally don't like them, and whether it makes a difference because the OP is 100% certain her friend will enjoy the gift.

Also, Sibling as a Wedding Favor could be a really, really awesome thread.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 01:58:48 PM »
Supporting HER charity as a gift to her is OK, since you indicate she is 'passionate' about her chosen charity.  Supporting YOUR charity as a gift to her, not so much.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »
Supporting HER charity as a gift to her is OK, since you indicate she is 'passionate' about her chosen charity.  Supporting YOUR charity as a gift to her, not so much.

Exactly.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »
Thanks. I was almost certain it was OK, but I never fully trust ideas that come to me when I'm exhausted.  :D
The status is not quo!

high dudgeon

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »

This, exactly.  Even a "neutral" charity, or a charity that works to the same goal as her favorite charity wouldn't be the same at all.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 02:14:04 PM »
She definitely supports this specific charity.
The status is not quo!

CeeBee

• Lipstick Addict
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 10:44:33 PM »
Then you're good to go.

Under other circumstances, it may well be different but this time, you're sweet.
There is no tetanus shot for when reality bites you in the bottom...

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 05:02:42 AM »

This is one of those cases where it looks like an appropriate gift.

I think that the charity gifts are okay as long as you know that the recipient supports the charity in question and would welcome this sort of gift to someone else. If you are not sure of both of those things, then it's better to avoid it.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 05:44:00 AM »
I am very anti-donation-as-gifts, but this is the one circumstance in which I find it acceptable.  She didn't solicit from you, you're offering, and your donation is going to a specific charity/organization she not only donates to but "supports enthusiastically."  Also, you indicate it is "part" of her Christmas gift, so you're even getting around the potential disappointment issue of, "You gave my present to someone else."  So this would be a very thoughtful gift, in my opinion.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 01:08:02 PM »
I am very anti-donation-as-gifts, but this is the one circumstance in which I find it acceptable.  She didn't solicit from you, you're offering, and your donation is going to a specific charity/organization she not only donates to but "supports enthusiastically."  Also, you indicate it is "part" of her Christmas gift, so you're even getting around the potential disappointment issue of, "You gave my present to someone else."  So this would be a very thoughtful gift, in my opinion.

Pod.  I don't normally care for donations to charities as gifts to third parties, but in this instance, I think it is a kind and loving gesture.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 01:11:34 PM »

Exactly.

POD to this.

However, I must say that one of the most thoughtful gifts I received yesterday (my ILs do xmas on tgday) was from my niece. She's a new nurse, working her first full time job (nights in the ER). She gave everyone in the family an ornament decorated by "terminal" children along with a note "A gift to Xfund has been donated in your name."

It was very touching and sweet.

gellchom

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 04:04:50 PM »
I think it's a great idea, and your friend will love it.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 09:39:31 AM »
Thanks!
The status is not quo!

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 10:44:40 AM »
Just thought I'd update. I saw my friend over New Year's and gave her her Christmas gifts. She loved them all. I had her open the card about the donation last. When she saw it, she started crying. I'm very happy it all worked out.  :)
The status is not quo!