Author Topic: Cranberry sauce for people who don't like it  (Read 1050 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Cranberry sauce for people who don't like it
« on: November 24, 2010, 04:32:13 PM »
This isn't a request, but I didn't know where else to put it.  I thought I'd share this recipe I found a few years ago.  I LOVE it.  For some reason, even though no one in my family like cranberry sauce, we feel bound by tradition to have it every Thanksgiving.  It sits there sadly on the table, untouched.  Until this!  (well, my MIL makes very good cranberry sauce, too, but I don't know how she does it, so I can't post that recipe :))

Cranberry Sauce Extraordinaire

And it's actually pretty easy and fast to throw together.  I do it slightly differently, but it probably doesn't make a huge difference:

I used canned pears. Good fresh pears are nonexistent this time of year. I use about half a can for a double recipe, drain the juice, and use that as part of my two cups of water.

I dump the pears in with the oranges for pureeing.

I use a metric ton of cinnamon. Plus a few cinnamon sticks. And a little extra nutmeg.

I'm using raw sugar this year. No idea how that'll work, but I know I like it better in everything else.

I use the crock pot. I dump all the ingredients in, mix up, and then pour the boiling sugar water over the top. This is especially handy for making the day before. You get it good and cooked on Wednesday (just check on it every hour or so until berries have burst), flavors become good friends in the refrigerator overnight, and then you plug it in when you arrive at your parents' house a few hours before dinner. And if it's not hot enough by the time you eat, you can just throw it on the stove in a pot for a while.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: Cranberry sauce for people who don't like it
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 04:45:18 PM »
That sounds really good.  I used to avoid cranberry sauce because it "looked weird."  These days, I avoid it because I generally find cranberries too tart.  But adding other fruit plus sugar plus spices sounds like it would be delicious!

It's too late for this year, but maybe I'll make that next year.  Or for Christmas.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:53:45 PM »

I love cranberry sauce, but that does sound delicious! I never thought about putting it in the crock pot and letting it csoss-mojinate. What a great idea. I may just have to try this.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »
If you use raw sugar, don't use two cups!  Unless you like syrup.  Okay, it wasn't that bad.  My husband loved it, and my mom did, too, but it was waaaay too sweet for me.  Oops.

Utah

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 01:04:26 AM »
That sounds fabulous!  You serve it hot?  I've never had hot cranberry sauce.  Have you ever tried serving it cold?  In fact I've never heard of serving cranberry sauce hot.  Is this a usual thing?

I'm going to reserve that recipe for sometime.  I do traditional cranberry sauce... water/sugar and cranberries. I actually sub agave nectar for the sugar and it turns out great!

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 01:06:40 AM »
That sounds fabulous!  You serve it hot?  I've never had hot cranberry sauce.  Have you ever tried serving it cold?  In fact I've never heard of serving cranberry sauce hot.  Is this a usual thing?

I'm going to reserve that recipe for sometime.  I do traditional cranberry sauce... water/sugar and cranberries. I actually sub agave nectar for the sugar and it turns out great!

Yeah, it's hot, but I was actually thinking today that it might be better chilled.  At least when it's way too sweet.  :)

Utah

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 01:15:16 AM »
I think it would be neat to try it hot. It never occurred to me  to do it that way.  I may try  it next time I make a roast chicken and serve it hot.  Try it chilled with your turkey sandwich leftovers... then you'll know which is better.   

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 03:00:26 PM »
MSWine could you pls post the link without the title? I'm on my BB and I can't click the named link. 

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle

Utah

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 04:22:34 PM »
Thanks a million!

AdakAK

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
Bumping this, in case I am not the only one trying to remember where I saw it.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
 Thanks for bumping!   I forgot about this recipe.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 10:40:58 PM »
Yes thanks!  I didn't see it the first time around, but it looks delicious!

AdakAK

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 11:57:33 PM »
Thanks for bumping!   I forgot about this recipe.

I was trying to remember where I had seen it.  I am away from home but I am going to try it for Christmas I think!

Aggiesque

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 10:17:22 PM »
We make a cranberry salad like this every year- it's cranberries, apples, oranges, and pineapples!
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/