Author Topic: Treating celebrities differently  (Read 5405 times)

bluedahlia

Treating celebrities differently
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:48:05 PM »
What ways do we or you treat celebrities differently than other people?  Other than obvious things like celebs get huge gift bags of swag at events, etc.  For example, if you had a friend in common with a celebrity, would you introduce yourself to the celeb on that basis (assuming you saw them at, say, a coffee shop)?  I would do that with anyone else but I wouldn't do it with a celebrity because I wouldn't want my mutual friend to get into trouble.  What about you?

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
Re: Treating celebrities differently
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 07:08:56 AM »
To be honest, I tend to treat them like everyone else if they're not "on duty". A few years in media tends to rub the glitz off.

In the situation with friends in common, whether or not the other person is a celebrity, I'd probably only introduce myself if my friend had already introduced us and we'd already met. Otherwise we're still pretty much strangers.

boxy

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
I tend to avoid celebs.  Too much drama and it bothers me to see how they are deified.

Jan74

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 04:27:50 PM »
I tend to avoid... everyone.  ;D True story.

Anyway the only celebrities I've ever met were through work, so I treated them as any lackey would, haha.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:39:14 PM »
As I would the Pope. Crawl into their presence on hands and knees, eyes downcast, kiss their pinky rings and then, at the end of the audience, back out of the room in the bowing position. You know, the usual.  ;)
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

McCutieBelle

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »
I am more willing to introduce a friend to someone well known if they don't ask and I know they can behave themselves....

I had one friend back at home, who thought for sure I would introduce her to an actor I worked with...and after seeing her try to interact with a local hockey player at  restaurant one night, there was no WAY I would even introduce her to my mom.... LOL

I don't treat them any differently then anyone else, because they're still people...:) Though some of this is kind of new to me, so the jaw dropping when after a show the actors come up to ME and chat, and the fans see this... I think it is still kind of cool.. like "yep, that is Bryan... good guy, he knows the best place for sushi!" I feel ever so slightly special.
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 10:05:35 AM »
I just read that Cher and a friend (Michele Pfeiffer, maybe) went to a nightclub and nobody asked them to dance.

Finally a friend of Cher's came in with his boyfriend, so they had someone to dance with.

Poor Cher! ;)

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:53:22 AM »
I just read that Cher and a friend (Michele Pfeiffer, maybe) went to a nightclub and nobody asked them to dance.

Finally a friend of Cher's came in with his boyfriend, so they had someone to dance with.

Poor Cher! ;)

All right; you'll probably be able to tell by my question that I'm not the nightclub type, but is it normal to go to a nightclub and expect strangers to ask you to dance? I assumed that if one wanted to dance with someone at a nightclub, one would take a friend along, and running into a nice stranger interested in dancing would be a bonus. And can't people dance by themselves or with same-gender friends? This isn't ballroom dancing--is a male really necessary for nightclub dancing? If Cher and friend were so interested in dancing with strangers, what stops them from approaching someone?  ???

bluedahlia

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »
I am more willing to introduce a friend to someone well known if they don't ask and I know they can behave themselves....

I had one friend back at home, who thought for sure I would introduce her to an actor I worked with...and after seeing her try to interact with a local hockey player at  restaurant one night, there was no WAY I would even introduce her to my mom.... LOL

I don't treat them any differently then anyone else, because they're still people...:) Though some of this is kind of new to me, so the jaw dropping when after a show the actors come up to ME and chat, and the fans see this... I think it is still kind of cool.. like "yep, that is Bryan... good guy, he knows the best place for sushi!" I feel ever so slightly special.

I was the bad girl once.  A friend of mine was talking about how her older brother had taken a friend of his hiking and the friend said that he loved Older Brother's new Cherokee so Older Brother gave it to him.  I jokingly said, "Wow, can I meet your brother?," assuming he was a software geek millionaire (tons of them int he city I lived in at the time).  Nope.  Older Brother was a rock star.  Younger Sister never forgave me.

McCutieBelle

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 08:23:53 PM »
That was an honest mistake :)
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

Gail

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »
My housemate is a celebrity, so I have to say no  ;) but I've seen the strangest reactions from people when they see him. Most people act normally, others (a lot) are shy, very shy, and others... well, let's say that I had to avoid having a certain celebration in my home because I knew that my friends were going to be pestering him.

And about the "gift bags", please allow me to share a pet peeve of mine: why on earth do girls buy teddy bears (and other soft toys) for male celebrities? For a girl I would understand, but for a grown man? I say this because his manager piles them and every month there is a new bag full of soft toys. Do girls hope that he puts them on his bed or what? I mean, seriously.
The last time I said what I was really thinking there was an "intervention".

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 02:43:57 PM »
My housemate is a celebrity, so I have to say no  ;) but I've seen the strangest reactions from people when they see him. Most people act normally, others (a lot) are shy, very shy, and others... well, let's say that I had to avoid having a certain celebration in my home because I knew that my friends were going to be pestering him.

And about the "gift bags", please allow me to share a pet peeve of mine: why on earth do girls buy teddy bears (and other soft toys) for male celebrities? For a girl I would understand, but for a grown man? I say this because his manager piles them and every month there is a new bag full of soft toys. Do girls hope that he puts them on his bed or what? I mean, seriously.

I'm guessing these are teenage girls. They are probably hoping just that, and it doesn't occur to them how unlikely it is.

However, in his shoes I'd probably be grateful people aren't giving me s@x toys. Michael Rosenbaum of Smallville was given a box of them at a charity event, and had to keep a straight face. ::)
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Gail

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 03:58:57 PM »
However, in his shoes I'd probably be grateful people aren't giving me s@x toys. Michael Rosenbaum of Smallville was given a box of them at a charity event, and had to keep a straight face. Roll Eyes

He receives those too (well, his manager). And chocolates, and books, and letters, and clothes... But it's the soft toys that I don't understand.

I'm guessing these are teenage girls.

But now I have the most adorable teddy bear on MY bed. Thanks, girls  >:D
The last time I said what I was really thinking there was an "intervention".

ladyonwheels

• cassie :)
  • does my charisma scare you?
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 01:24:27 AM »
i think the reason some people go gaga is they might only have one chance in a lifetime to meet a celeb so they don't stop to consider the celeb's feelings because their once in a lifetime moment takes precedence.

careful, i like bare toes ;D

McCutieBelle

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 08:24:32 AM »
That's a good point. I was listening to an interview yesterday and an actor from the Walking Dead said that same thing "look at it from their point of view, this person that comes into their lives every week and they enjoy is standing 2 feet away from them and they can actually shake their hand, or say how much they enjoy that time, why wouldn't I try to give them a fantastic experience"

On the flip side I do sometimes wonder when I hear about bad celebrity experiences, how was the fan acting? No doubt that some people are mean, that includes celebrities, but sometimes a fan MIGHT instigate it a bit.