Author Topic: Treating celebrities differently  (Read 5403 times)

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
Re: Treating celebrities differently
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 08:37:02 AM »
I treat celebrities as I would anyone else.

It made an awkward situation once, though.  :P

McCutieBelle

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 08:47:29 AM »
Yea, I may have done some "ballsy" things in treating celebs how I would treat people too, specifically cute guys I may meet... :blush:
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

PaddedPaws

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 02:51:38 PM »
I treat celebrities as I would anyone else.

It made an awkward situation once, though.  :P

May we hear the story? I'm curious, because I would try to do the same thing as well.

MissRose

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »
I've met a few celebs (pro athletes and a few singers) and treated them with respect.  I am sure they appreciate that.

As much as I wanted to be the fan-girl type that screams etc, I had to restrain myself until after I was out of their presence.

I've never given stuffed animals to celebs. However, I've heard about fans throwing things onstage including scrabble toys!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 03:31:37 PM »
FWIW, teen girls tend to give non-eleb boyfrineds stuffed animals as tokens of affection too.  I don't know what they are thinking/hoping but it is not an act held in reserve for the famous.

McCutieBelle

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 03:35:43 PM »
I have yet to see scandlous or weird gifts given to celebs... BUT I have seen fans give REALLY pricey or personal gifts like expensive wines and colognes....
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »
I've had the privilege to meet most of my favorite Latin music stars.  In one instance I was a guest of the relevant TV network and the singer had just released a new CD.  We were given copies and got to go backstage to have them autographed.  No fan-girl behavior in our group; we were like any group of normal adults at a cocktail party.

With regard to things being tossed onstage:  Fans of another of my faves frequently throw bras onstage, typically with notes attached.  At a concert a couple of years ago some were handing them to him and he read the notes onstage (not aloud).  I am so proud of the woman whose note made him blush!

When I got a backstage pass to meet him I had a large bouquet of red and white roses.  I calmly welcomed him to NY and said that I truly appreciated his songs. 

Backstage photo:

I presented roses twice to my favorite Mexican singer; here is the photo of the first occasion (there's no photo of the second):

My MO is to compliment their talent.  I am quite capable of maintaining a dignified demeanor.

For anyone who is looking for the experience of meeting a Latin music star, I hereby advise that they routinely kiss their female fans.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »
Hilarious "how to treat a celeb like a normal person" story (sort of).

My cousin is in a Christian rock band which is just starting to increase in popularity (I heard a song of theirs on K-Love the other day; previously they had not yet had commercial success).  At the time of this incident, 2-3 years ago, they were not very well known.

So one day my cousin is out for ice cream and he notices that at the next table is *Tiger Woods* (Cousin lived near where he was living at the time, so not completely unexpected).  He plays it cool and says nothing, thinking "I'm sure he just wants to have a normal day out."  Suddenly, a screaming girl comes running over, right past Tiger Woods' table to my cousin's.  "OHMIGAWD, you're *Drummer* from *Band*, I love you!!!" etc.  Meanwhile Tiger Woods is looking at my cousin all ??? like "who the heck is THAT guy?"

Major golf celebrity: didn't even register.  Very minor CCM "star"?  Over the top response.

McCutieBelle

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 03:56:08 PM »
I love that story! It made me smile.

It reminds me of something that happened to me. A friend from college studied in London with me and a bunch of others, and he said his half sister was going to be in London and he was going to have dinner with her.

My friend and I were shopping around in London and saw him, his boyfriend, his sister and her friend and we had a nice chat, had a drink and parted ways.

Friend says "wow you played it cool" Why wouldn't I...

OH right, I forgot, sister was the star of a new hit show which  has spawned 2 other spin offs since then.... ;)

I didn't watch this new show so I had no clue, he said his sister was an actress, but heck I was an aspiring actress... LOL

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 05:20:17 PM »
My closest brush with celebrity was with a well-known tv actor who was sitting at a table next to my family as we had lunch the day before my brother's wedding. We sort of did a double-take, "Oh, hello! Love your work!" sort of thing, but otherwise tried to act "normally".

He spoke to us occasionally during the meal, enough that afterwards my father wondered if he'd been lonely and would have liked to be invited to join us.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
For anyone who is looking for the experience of meeting a Latin music star, I hereby advise that they routinely kiss their female fans.

OK, I will cop to having kissed someone famous when I met him. In my defense, I was about thirteen. (It was Tito Puente, a well-known Latin jazz musician.)  He thought it was cute and hugged me.  :)
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 09:48:02 AM »
Funny Celeb run in story.

I was taking a weekend away to destress. The hotel I was staying at was hosting a big golf tournament that I did NOT know that when I made the reservations or I would never have stayed there. It was a nightmare trying to get downstairs. There was only 2 elevators and 1 of them broke down Saturday night! I got a late checkout time on Sunday after most of the golfers had left. I was riding down on the elevator with another golfer and casually asked if there was anyone famous out golfing with them. He looked at me and said "Well, some people think I am famous." I asked who he was. His reply? Tiger Woods.  We both laughted and I told him to have  a good day.

We deal with celebs all the time at work. For the most part, they are really wonderful people. Some of them, however, lets put it this way. There are a few Food Network shows I will never watch again! And there are some movies I will never watch as the people staring in them are VERY rude!

bluedahlia

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »

OK, I will cop to having kissed someone famous when I met him. In my defense, I was about thirteen. (It was Tito Puente, a well-known Latin jazz musician.)  He thought it was cute and hugged me.  :)

A dear friend of mine who regularly met and worked with HUGE rock stars lost her mind meeting Tito Puente one day.  Seal?  Played it cool.  Lenny Kravitz?  Ditto.  Tito Puente?  Shreiked and jumped up and down (his entourage was most amused).

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »
Puente was amazing.  I'm so sorry I never got to hear him live. Or Celia Cruz, for that matter.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »
David Letterman was a regular at the small New Canaan shop I worked in for a while. Anyone who couldn't be trusted not to make a fuss about it was sent to the back room.

SO takes the cake tho, back in HS he worked in an auto parts store in Westport, CT, and once asked Paul Newman for his ID before letting him sign for his stuff ::)

(Looking back, PN was on the fringes of my formative years in lots of ways. I used to usher at the local playhouse, and regularly seated Paul, Joanne Woodward and his aunt, and another BF used to drive him to the airport)

I got to talk to Micky Hart at a meet-and-greet once and kinda lost all respect for him when he refered to the Grateful Dead as his "day job" ::)