Author Topic: Amusing Yourself At Work  (Read 2495 times)

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
Amusing Yourself At Work
« on: November 26, 2010, 03:11:28 PM »
We all have "those days" where you need a laugh at all costs no matter what it takes while you're out being a contributing member of society.

For me, nothing beats singing Sinatra to myself while using the computer cart as Fred Astaire to my scrub-bedecked, unbelievably inept Ginger Rogers in the hallways while no one's around. "Feeling Good" completely rocks my socks. One of the techs and I will frequently share Ipod earbuds and dance down the hall together by the nurses' station...he's not a Sinatra person, but he can always find some slinky R&B and loves to cut a rug with a crazed nurse in the middle of the night. No matter what's going on a dance with the cart or with Finster puts me right back on the delirious-happy map.

What silly things do you do at work to get your mojo back?
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Re: Amusing Yourself At Work
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 03:26:02 AM »
Well, I work at home so I can do pretty much what I want and only have to worry about the cats thinking I've finally lost it. 

That being said, I pause the dictation and play a few games of solitaire.  I also march up and down the hall a few times with my arms swinging to keep the kinks out.  You're a nurse, Auntie V., so you know it's important to occasionally get up and get moving when you sit on your, um, chair all day.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:19:58 PM »
This is why Finster and I have to bust out and cut a rug every now and then. It's just proper body mechanics!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 04:11:52 PM »
Let's see...

The editor instructed us on the proper technique for rubber-band wars.
Very useful skill, that.

Then there are the occasional paper airplanes wafting between offices.
The publisher usually wins though.

Lastly, there is an ongoing form of teasing.
Currently, we had an ad come in for someone offering her services for private parties as a topless waitress.
The front office staff are busy "recruiting" each other for this field, to fund holiday spending.
So far, no takers.  ;)

JoW

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:45:56 PM »
We are required to wear steel-toe shoes.  I replaced the laces in mine with neon orange curly laces. 
These shoe laces
http://www.ecrater.com/p/5017639/neon-orange-elastic-stretch-curly
They are just wild enough Ė strange without being disruptive. 

When Iíve been stuck behind my computer so long my eyes are starting to spin I go to the restroom.  No, not the one around the corner 100 feet from my cube.  I go to the one near the manufacturing area, over 1000 feet from my cube.  And I take a detour through manufacturing and packaging.  I usually pause in packaging and help stack boxes for a few seconds.  Iím a geek.  I enjoy watching the machinery run. 

I often pause in the break room and do a couple of yoga-style stretches.   Where I work thatís not considered strange.  The operators have about 3 minutes of mandatory stretches at the start of shift and after their meal break.  For the rest of us stretching isnít mandatory but its encouraged. 

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:48:30 PM »
I skip. I am tempted to do cartwheels down one long aisle, but that would be inadvisable in heels during the middle of the day.

However... I am so very tempted.

workingmum

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 03:01:21 AM »
When in the office on my own and feeling a little bored or under the weather, I have been known to put on the most ridiculous 80's music mix and sing at the top of my voice. The poor courier that walked in this morning nearly had a heart attack when he saw me dancing around my office to "Boys Boys Boys"  ;)
"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:00:50 AM »
The guy I sit next to at work is absolutely freaking hilarious, so talking to him usually gets me laughing so hard I can't speak and can barely breathe. 

If I've got a screamer on the phone, I amuse myself by being so nice and sweet and charm oozing that my coworkers claim they're in late stages of diabetes just by listening to me.  :P

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 08:07:22 AM »
Dogzard that sounds like me this afternoon- doing customer service for a cruise line is... enlightening to say the least.

But my method of late has been to practice my dance steps as far as my 'leash' (headset cord) will take me. Tom, who sits next to me, was most impressed this morning when I walked in with heels on (I never wear heels) and proceeded to practice the ballroom dance moves I've been learning with a friend of mine, while talking to a customer!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 02:33:10 PM »
I have been known to do lunges and leaps all the way to the mailroom. It gets my blood flowing and makes for a pretty entertaining moment for the other employees. Especially on days where I wear heels.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »
We are required to wear steel-toe shoes.  I replaced the laces in mine with neon orange curly laces. 
These shoe laces
http://www.ecrater.com/p/5017639/neon-orange-elastic-stretch-curly
They are just wild enough Ė strange without being disruptive. 

When Iíve been stuck behind my computer so long my eyes are starting to spin I go to the restroom.  No, not the one around the corner 100 feet from my cube.  I go to the one near the manufacturing area, over 1000 feet from my cube.  And I take a detour through manufacturing and packaging.  I usually pause in packaging and help stack boxes for a few seconds.  Iím a geek.  I enjoy watching the machinery run. 

I often pause in the break room and do a couple of yoga-style stretches.   Where I work thatís not considered strange.  The operators have about 3 minutes of mandatory stretches at the start of shift and after their meal break.  For the rest of us stretching isnít mandatory but its encouraged. 

Someone in this office wants to have a word with you:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=87274.0

(just kidding!! ;D)

JoW

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 09:07:08 PM »
When Iíve been stuck behind my computer so long my eyes are starting to spin I go to the restroom.  No, not the one around the corner 100 feet from my cube.  I go to the one near the manufacturing area, over 1000 feet from my cube.  And I take a detour through manufacturing and packaging. 

Someone in this office wants to have a word with you:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=87274.0

(just kidding!! ;D)

:)
My office is in a cube farm.  We all use ear phones and radios or ipods to block out the distractions.   The walk out of the cube farm is less than 75 feet. 

My walk has another benefit.  I get to spy on production.  I'm in Quality Control.  Most of the operators have seen me so often they will stop me and ask me a question.  Sometimes we solve a quality question before it grows into an issue that needs attention from management. 

POF

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 09:13:01 PM »
I shut my office door and do 12 squats holding my community benefit binder ... the big one ! / 12 desk pushups and 12 triceps things on the desk.

I am thinking of getting a core ball for work - because I looooove to work on a core ball.  I always beg my trainer ... can i use the core ball.... please please please.  I usually have to use the &T*&&*(&(&*^* kettlebell

I walk down to our cafe and talk to the people who run it ... they always make me laugh.....

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »
Friday afternoon.

The office is pretty quiet.
Three of us are working in the admin office.

Uber boss is a few feet away in his office, "doing dummys" aka arranging the advertising and editorial space into a newspaper layout. Like Tetris, only with tons of paperwork and lots of aggravation.

Coworker is listening to music and I say "Anything but {pop star}.You play that and I'll...sing!|" (She hates my singing  >:D)
Naturally, CW finds a song by {pop star} and turns it up loud.*

I counter with "That's Amore", in my usual off key manner.

Uber boss immediately says "I'm going to have to ask you to stop doing that."
I do, but grumble to coworker "How come I can't sing but you're allowed to play {pop star that I really dislike}."

She laughs at me - until Uber boss booms "You know, that's a very good question...."  :D :D :D

She had to turn it off. Awww...NOT!  >:D

*Lest you wonder, the third person was totally in on the joke, and CW and I get along super well. We joke around all the time.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 06:48:04 PM »
It depends one the job I've had.  When I did manual labor types of jobs I listened to audio books and talk radio which kept me from getting bored.  When I nannied I read literature to the babies while they played or danced with them when I needed a change.  When I worked in an inbound call center cube farm where I was chained to the desk I discovered the internet :) and cross stitched.  I totally wished we could have played office games, but it was one of those places that outlawed all fun.  When I've worked in schools we do lots of stuff from relays, to made up table games to impromptu plays.