Author Topic: This could have gone in Complete Silence, Why would I want to do that...  (Read 4258 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
But I chose here as this is what I think am going to use.

I used to live in X city in another  state and have many friends there.  I have one friend that just got into this "ahmazing" jewelery business where she hopes we will all support her in since she just had a baby and needs money! (worded nicer though)

She posts statuses on how great this company is, her upcoming party etc. Info overload. I just ignored.  Then came the mass emails, ignored those too.

Then I got a personal message, "Hi, I just joined this company and since I now have 2 kids and need money.  I chose this opportunity for these reasons...very heavy propaganda on it and then she wrote.  "Since you have several friends here near me, can I host a party in YOUR name at my house and YOU can invite them all over for it?  It will be awesome!  Maybe I can skype with you here so you can see all of them.  I will enter your name in a drawing for a free jewelery item!"

Um I'm afraid that won't be possible is coming shortly to her email inbox.

Miss March

Wow. It's awkward enough when they ask you to host a party with your friends so they can sell their products-- I never considered they would start saying they could use you from long distance via Skype. I hope this isn't the start of a new trend.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Ginya

Wow, that takes it to a new level. Sadly with my own experiences with my uncle's wife (she gets caught up in those things) I can see someone getting push like that. I know how you feel.

My worst experience with her was a fun one too. She sent me a FB message of something along the lines of "Don't forget the meeting is at 7:00pm at the Ramada. Can't wait to see you." Seeing as I had NO clue as to what she was talking about I replied back to her asking what she was talking about. She sent me back a message saying something like this "The meeting for _________ (a pyramid scheme). I already talked to your mother about this, and we'll be expecting to see you there." Never mind the fact DH and I are at the time engaged and living forty miles from my mother. So I called mum up and she says UW sent her an invite but she had declined and she had no idea what UW was talking about. So I sent UW a final message saying I'm sorry but we won't be able to make it.  ;D

ddawn23

Wow, that takes it to a new level. Sadly with my own experiences with my uncle's wife (she gets caught up in those things) I can see someone getting push like that. I know how you feel.

This is a little off topic, but I'm curious:  Why do you keep calling her your uncle's wife?  Wouldn't that make her your aunt?

bookworm317

• Proud child of the 80's

This is a little off topic, but I'm curious:  Why do you keep calling her your uncle's wife?  Wouldn't that make her your aunt?

Technically, yes--but there may not be family-feelings between the two of them.

weeblewobble

People who get sucked into these MLMs are coached heavily in scripts re: how to draw their friends/family in the scheme. They are designed to make it as awkward and painful as possible to say no. (She's already talked to your mother about it, you don't want to disappoint your mother, do you?) She can "Expect" you there all she wants.  Expectations are like fantasies about Brad Pitt, everybody has them- they rarely get fulfilled.

Ginya

Technically, yes--but there may not be family-feelings between the two of them.

Bookworm- You nailed it. I do NOT care for this woman at all.

DDawn- Yes, technically she is my aunt, but they've been separated for the better part of the last few years so... yeah.

portugo

Did "I'm afraid that won't be possible" arrive on target?