News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 01, 2015, 01:16:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1864026 times)

LadyDyani

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #8220 on: July 30, 2015, 07:09:18 AM »
Boss is giving him 2 weeks notice that he'll be let go? Does UberGeek have a contract, or is boss unaware of the many good reasons for walking someone out the door immediately? I have to say, as much as he messed up while being an employee in good standing, I wonder what he would do if he knew the ax was coming.
In my country, you can't boot someone out the door unless they've done something really illegal or completely against company policy. Otherwise you have to let them work the two weeks.

Not in the US, in most places you can be fired/let go for any reason or no reason at all, and can leave for any reason or none at all. And if someone leaves under anything less than optimal circumstances, it's often better to (pay them for the notice period and) let them go immediately than to keep them around when they are most likely to cause trouble.

The problem with booting them as soon as they give notice is that can be considered firing them, which means they can collect unemployment. Letting them work their two weeks prevents them claiming unemployment. Which could be a reason some employers make people miserable after they give notice. They want them out before their two weeks, so they're being awful to them in hopes they'll leave before the two weeks is up.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Ginger G

« Reply #8221 on: July 30, 2015, 08:05:20 AM »
The problem with booting them as soon as they give notice is that can be considered firing them, which means they can collect unemployment. Letting them work their two weeks prevents them claiming unemployment.

Not in my state.  I'm in HR, and we've had this happen at least three times - employees turned in their two weeks' notice, and then immediately became total slackers, not doing any work, calling in sick every other day, etc.  We decided not to to play these games for the full two weeks and sent them packing immediately.  We did pay them for the two weeks' notice.  All three of them tried to file unemployment claiming they were fired, but were all denied after we produced a copy of their resignation letter.

wordgirl

• Just bead it
  • Super Hero!
  • Pinterest is the new crack
« Reply #8222 on: July 30, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »
That's when the craziness really began....

Oh, please do share!

I agree. Please share.
I shouldn't have teased. In large part, the rest of the story isn't so much entertaining as sad. He had been a talented worker - albeit a jerk, and one that nobody really enjoyed working with.  But when he returned, something had changed. There was a long downhill slide that resulted in a total professional and personal meltdown.

But there were a few jaw-droppers before things really went south.

When he returned, he and a co-worker were working on basically the same level, but the co-worker had a plum assignment that focused on one of the more entertaining aspects of our work. He told that worker to her face that he was "going after" her assignment, and then proceeded to do so, vigorously and clumsily, by poaching aspects of that job when he got the chance and bad-mouthing her to management. It totally backfired - he spent so much time trying to muscle in on the assignment he wanted that he made some critical misses and mistakes in the duties actually assigned to him.

She was eventually promoted and he went all-out to get that assignment. They actually gave it to him and for the most part he did OK, but the external contacts complained a LOT. Basically, he went into the job demanding the kind of access that you really have to earn, and being egregiously rude to support staff (which is about the stupidest thing you can do in a business where support staff are essentially gatekeepers). Most of those complaints were to the woman he'd replaced.

She relayed those concerns to management -- not without a small portion of glee, I'm sure -- and there were some meetings with the guy in question and the external contacts to try to get things on an even keel. That worked for awhile. But this guy's demons were just too strong. Eventually he went so far over the line that his employment was no longer tenable.

Unfortunately, at least in this case, the management in place at the time had kind of a "Land of the Misfit Toys" mentality where they kept trying to rehabilitate employees who were talented but had Issues. If they had been more rigid with him at the beginning, it's possible he would have been able to stay on track. I suspect that is the case with many of our stories here.

Jones

« Reply #8223 on: July 30, 2015, 02:20:17 PM »
I am very sorry about deleting this post/ story. However, the escalation this week peaked between yesterday and today and included me in new ways that I hadn't predicted. I have been advised about various possible repercussions. (Legal, not physical.) Although this was a pretty anonymous post about many issues over a period of time, nothing from this week, I feel I should take it down.

Suffice to say it was a rotten, busy day and we are looking for a new office assistant.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:26:05 PM by Jones »
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

LadyDyani

« Reply #8224 on: July 30, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
Oh wow, we definitely need to hear how that ends. How did she last a year?

PD at my workplace - If I were to send you an email telling you to add information to a spreadsheet and email me the spreadsheet would you:

A. Add the information and email the spreadsheet.

or

B. Add the information, print out the spreadsheet onto two pages, scan each page separately as a jpg, email the jpgs, then do not save the changes to the spreadsheet.

This is a manager at one of our stores. She's been told before not to do that, just send the original information. So, since she's had several (four) warnings about this before, I told her to redo the spreadsheet. After arguing back and forth with me over several emails, she accepted she would either have to redo the work, or use her jpgs to re-enter the information. I'm 70% sure she redid all of the work completely instead of using her jpgs to just do data entry. It's much easier to complain about me that way.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #8225 on: July 30, 2015, 04:59:55 PM »

PD at my workplace - If I were to send you an email telling you to add information to a spreadsheet and email me the spreadsheet would you:

or

B. Add the information, print out the spreadsheet onto two pages, scan each page separately as a jpg, email the jpgs, then do not save the changes to the spreadsheet.

This is a manager at one of our stores. She's been told before not to do that, just send the original information. So, since she's had several (four) warnings about this before, I told her to redo the spreadsheet. After arguing back and forth with me over several emails, she accepted she would either have to redo the work, or use her jpgs to re-enter the information. I'm 70% sure she redid all of the work completely instead of using her jpgs to just do data entry. It's much easier to complain about me that way.

Uh...what?   :o

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #8226 on: July 30, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
Some people would argue with a guy who could carve his words into a slab of stone with his finger.

It got Moses in trouble in his day and it continues to get people into trouble to this day with their bosses, even if the bosses have to use a laser to engrave their words in stone...or a stylus to write them in dancing electrons that show up on sheets of glass inset in wonderous devices of metal, glass, silicone, and gold wire.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

MrTango

« Reply #8227 on: July 30, 2015, 06:28:35 PM »
The problem with booting them as soon as they give notice is that can be considered firing them, which means they can collect unemployment. Letting them work their two weeks prevents them claiming unemployment.

Not in my state.  I'm in HR, and we've had this happen at least three times - employees turned in their two weeks' notice, and then immediately became total slackers, not doing any work, calling in sick every other day, etc.  We decided not to to play these games for the full two weeks and sent them packing immediately.  We did pay them for the two weeks' notice.  All three of them tried to file unemployment claiming they were fired, but were all denied after we produced a copy of their resignation letter.

The key thing is you paid them for their notice period.  If you hadn't, at least in my state, your company would be on the hook for unemployment from the date you had them leave until the end of the notice period they gave.

Jones

« Reply #8228 on: Yesterday at 01:12:09 PM »

-snip-

Shes lasted a year because we all kept falling for Just need a little help/just listen to my concern/Im trying really hard and heres a candy bar for you. Overall, she is a very nice person. Plus it is time consuming in my company to hire a replacement for a fired employee, we figured with as busy and understaffed as we are that having a warm body trying to help was better than no body for 2-3 months.

Boss just got back from out of town. Things are brewing.
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

LadyDyani

« Reply #8229 on: Yesterday at 01:16:04 PM »

or

Shall we take bets on whether she does it again next week?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8230 on: Yesterday at 01:19:35 PM »
My boss interfered with a web design work flow and ended up doubling the work required by not copying the direct supervisor of the person she sent changes to. She is also micromanaging this process, even though she understands nothing about it.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #8231 on: Yesterday at 01:45:50 PM »

or

Shall we take bets on whether she does it again next week?
I believe it and she'll probably do it again.

I have clients like this -- so technologically incompetent that they create extreme inconvenience for themselves by doing it wrong and then complain that "the process" is too difficult and takes too long. I send PDF proofs for most projects. The free version of Adobe Reader, which 99.99% of computer users are familiar with and have already on their computer, allows for marking changes directly to a PDF and emailing it back to me. I've had many people print out the PDF, write their changes on the print and then interoffice mail it back to me or they'll scan it and email it back. I have a created a tutorial for them that I send at the first sign of this with such basic instructions and screen shots that it might be insulting to a more competent person (but I do keep the tone cheery and helpful). That usually solves the problem.

I'd do something similar to this store manager -- send her written instructions with screen captures so basic that a 4-year-old could follow them; "First, save the email attachment to your desktop. Then, open the spreadsheet by double clicking your mouse on the file icon. Then..."
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

LadyDyani

« Reply #8232 on: Yesterday at 02:57:36 PM »

I have clients like this -- so technologically incompetent that they create extreme inconvenience for themselves by doing it wrong and then complain that "the process" is too difficult and takes too long. I send PDF proofs for most projects. The free version of Adobe Reader, which 99.99% of computer users are familiar with and have already on their computer, allows for marking changes directly to a PDF and emailing it back to me. I've had many people print out the PDF, write their changes on the print and then interoffice mail it back to me or they'll scan it and email it back. I have a created a tutorial for them that I send at the first sign of this with such basic instructions and screen shots that it might be insulting to a more competent person (but I do keep the tone cheery and helpful). That usually solves the problem.

I'd do something similar to this store manager -- send her written instructions with screen captures so basic that a 4-year-old could follow them; "First, save the email attachment to your desktop. Then, open the spreadsheet by double clicking your mouse on the file icon. Then..."

I usually use the "ELI5" rule. (Explain like I'm five)

I gave up with one of the managers here. I just take his handwritten spreadsheets and type them up to email to him. He forwards the email to the office manager and tells her which column he wants the data sorted by. She does that then emails it back. But she has to change the name. If it's the same name he insists she didn't do it.

Dr. F.

« Reply #8233 on: Yesterday at 03:48:27 PM »

I usually use the "ELI5" rule. (Explain like I'm five)

I gave up with one of the managers here. I just take his handwritten spreadsheets and type them up to email to him. He forwards the email to the office manager and tells her which column he wants the data sorted by. She does that then emails it back. But she has to change the name. If it's the same name he insists she didn't do it.

*whimper*

How on earth does someone remain so technologically incompetent in this day in age?

Phoebelion

« Reply #8234 on: Yesterday at 05:38:56 PM »
We are upgrading our software (6 years worth) and the IT company installed a test copy on all laptops approximately 3 weeks ago.  We go live in another 3 weeks.  A three hour training session was given to all department heads and we then train our people.  The main problem is the look of the software has totally changed - it might as well be Sanskit to some people. 

After the training session, I took immediately played for three hours learning enough to start training my crew.  So after 3 weeks, they have found and test run everything they need to do their jobs.  Success and a great deal of pride in them.   Deli lunch was on me today.

The problem?  The general manager was to train the sales people.  And hasn't done a thing.  And he's on vacation for the next three weeks.  And we go live the Friday before he comes back.  Boss is furious.  And tried to talk me into training them.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.   I wonder if manager will have a job when he gets back?