Author Topic: Phrases/sayings you hate  (Read 80418 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Phrases/sayings you hate
« Reply #1560 on: October 21, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »
I am so sick of the term "haters." It's overused and over-applied.  :P

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #1561 on: October 21, 2014, 12:48:48 PM »

Aw Jaxsue, don't be a.... negative person.  ;D

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1562 on: October 21, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »

Aw Jaxsue, don't be a.... negative person.  ;D

Good one!  :D

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #1563 on: October 21, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
The term "price point" instead of just "price."  I didn't start hearing it until a couple of years ago, and now it seems to be everywhere. 

I hate how jargon creeps into everyday life, specially when it is incorrectly used. Price point is a specific marketing concept and it doesn't mean the price, exactly. For example, you can have $20-$50 price point for a dress, as opposed to $200-$500. Each price point carries different expectations and requirements which the manufacturer and retailer have to be aware of.

And it isn't always business jargon, either. Calling a table for four a "four-top" grates on my ears just as much, even though it may be correct. Or using medical speech for everyday stuff.

Yes, and the correct, (or original), meaning of the term baffles me even further, because that sounds more like a price range.    ;D 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1564 on: October 21, 2014, 04:07:08 PM »
And one thing I've noticed, at least for myself-- when I am under the influence of hormones, I may be more weepy/irritable than I normally would be, but I'm never upset about something that wouldn't normally upset me.  So I really don't appreciate the idea that it's okay to dismiss a woman's anger/sadness because "it's hormones."  The hormones might be making me cry, but they're not making me sad.

My MIL used to say to my kids, "You're upset for nothing."

It made me angry. I would always say, "No, that's not true. They're upset because they're disappointed," or whatever -actual- reason they were upset.
   Then I'd add, "Sweetheart, you are more upset than is appropriate for this level of disappointment. You've made your point about being upset, and now is the time to start calming yourself down and getting  under control."

I also used to say to my kid, when she was going to school too tired, "Remember that you are very tired, and your emotions will overreact. So when you get upset or angry, you are probably upset or angry about something real. But your emotions will trick you into acting as if it's a bigger deal that it really is. You might be mad, but you aren't really as mad as you feel. That's the tired."

I felt it was a more valuable thing to teach them than to say, "You're upset over nothing," or "you don't have the right to be upset, or to express your upset-ness."

Girlie

« Reply #1565 on: October 24, 2014, 03:51:07 PM »
"So-and-so wins ______"

I've seen it so much lately: "Little boy wins Halloween!" "This dog wins the internet!"

.....Sad thing about it all is, I never even knew we were in competition.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #1566 on: October 24, 2014, 06:00:36 PM »
"So-and-so wins ______"

I've seen it so much lately: "Little boy wins Halloween!" "This dog wins the internet!"

.....Sad thing about it all is, I never even knew we were in competition.

To be fair, humans are a highly competitive species.  That's the whole reason we'll never have a utopian finance-less society.  Money is *such* an easy way to "keep score".

JEsMom

« Reply #1567 on: October 25, 2014, 01:03:36 AM »
"That's an interesting assumption."

Hate. It.
Me too. To me, it comes across as condescending and snide, and not really polite or good etiquette at all.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1568 on: October 25, 2014, 07:35:29 AM »
"If I can do it, anyone can do it." 
Pronouncing 'right' as "rate"   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.