Author Topic: Swearing three year old  (Read 2133 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Swearing three year old
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 06:28:50 PM »
I think this is an obvious case of "to each his own". I saw the video and thought it was adorable. Yes, I'd probably cringe if my sons used that language in public, which has happened and I'm sure will happen again. Kids pick things up, it's unavoidable. We talk to them about appropriate language and discourage it as much as possible, but I won't say that I didn't laugh (with my face turned away) when my then-3 y/o yelled "Somebody needs to turn off that f-ing car alarm!" across the mall parking lot.

I agree with this post 100%.

Am I being needlessly judgemental and a bit OTT here by finding it actually quite offensive? I'm amazed at how many people I know (with kids) who are sharing the vid, and when I ask "What if your child came out with that?", they respond "Oh he'd be on the naughty step for a week." So why is it funny if it's someone else's child?!

Just curious if you asked your friends the bold above and what was their response?

This falls into the "kids say the darndest thing" category. If the child uses the F-bomb as a regular part of her vocabulary then I agree, the parenting is amiss. But we don't know that, so yes, I do think that you are being needlessly judgemental and a bit OTT. Sorry, but you asked. ;)

We lived next door to an elderly gentleman who, when he was in his cups, would swear up and down the wall (which was often.) Especially using the G-D phrase if he dropped something or otherwise hurt himself in some way. Listening to him was unavoidable unless we wanted to keep our windows closed or didn't go outside at all.

I was doing laundry one day with DD#1 (3 at the time) helping me. I dropped the lid of the washer on my thumb. I grabbed my thumb, hopped around on one foot, gritted my teeth in order to not say what I was thinking. ::)

DD#1 looked up at me with a big ol' grin on her face and said "G-D that hurts! Right mom?"

She looked so pleased with herself because she used that phrase in the correct context. ;D

Yes, I did giggle later and shared the story with all I knew because I found it rather cute and funny due to innocence. (I bet you shared your story too, amylouky, didn't you?)

No, she was not "on the naughty step for a week" because this wasn't a cause for punishment. It was a cause for further informational conversations about what are polite words and what words were unacceptable in polite company.

Which led to the game of "Oh you swore!" when LDH let an F-bomb fly or some such thing. ::) Which led to the DDs never swearing while they were growing up . . . well, at least not in front of me. :P

Kids don't know that certain things they mimic from adults are not correct until they are taught otherwise. Hopefully the parents of that little girl in the video will teach her what is appropriate language and what is not.

Off topic -- I enjoy watching the Ice Bucket Challenge videos. I think they are humorous, fun and some get quite creative!

My favorite so far is Patrick Stewart's -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty6-Ug1wk-0

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »

My sister's older son came to her one day when he was about 7, and asked her, "Mom, what does@#$%^&*@#$%$#@ mean?"  She said it was some of the worst profanity she'd ever heard up to that point.  Her son wasn't swearing; he was just curious as to the meaning.  She told me she gave him an abridged definition, but told him, "That's a very bad word and I don't want you to say it."  He said, "Okay," and she never heard him say it again.  Older Son is now 35 and an Army vet with three tours in Iraq under his belt, so I don't doubt he's said it in recent years, but never in front of his mother.  (Especially since he knows that his mother would have quite a bit to say about it if he called her that.)

Aquamarine

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
Yes, I think it's judgemental. Your (general) standards do not/should not apply to anyone else's children but your own and especially if you're calling out people who are sharing the video - that's way OTT, I think. Just because their humour is different to yours, doesn't give you the right to chastise them for finding something funny.

When you put yourself out there in the public sphere then you are putting yourself and your behavior out there to be discussed, forwarded, Tweeted, linked to, posted and commented on.  If you don't want that then keep your videos and behavior private and do not broadcast your behavior in the media.

I find it funny that you are saying that people shouldn't be judgmental or chastise others yet here you are, seeming to do those same two thing to other posters.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

perpetua

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 05:04:36 PM »
Yes, I think it's judgemental. Your (general) standards do not/should not apply to anyone else's children but your own and especially if you're calling out people who are sharing the video - that's way OTT, I think. Just because their humour is different to yours, doesn't give you the right to chastise them for finding something funny.

When you put yourself out there in the public sphere then you are putting yourself and your behavior out there to be discussed, forwarded, Tweeted, linked to, posted and commented on.  If you don't want that then keep your videos and behavior private and do not broadcast your behavior in the media.

I find it funny that you are saying that people shouldn't be judgmental or chastise others yet here you are, seeming to do those same two thing to other posters.

The OP asked if she was being needlessly judgemental. I thought she was. That's the whole point of this discussion forum.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »
I thought it was funny.  Mostly because I don't have to deal with it personally!  I watch my mouth around kids, so I know if a kid swears around me they didn't get it from me.

Toddlers are little parrots/sponges, though.  All it takes is hearing a word one time, then you never know when, how, or where they'll come out with it.  Personally, the way I look at it is, "Not my kid, not my problem, therefore funny."  I wouldn't post a video of it on the internet, though.  ::)

Is the OP overreacting?  I don't know.  Different people find different things to be offensive while other people might just laugh.  I think OP's feelings are valid, even if I happen to find the video to be hilarious.

perpetua

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 01:46:51 AM »
Is the OP overreacting?  I don't know.  Different people find different things to be offensive while other people might just laugh.  I think OP's feelings are valid, even if I happen to find the video to be hilarious.

Where I fall is I don't think anyone's overreacting to find it offensive - you can find whatever you like offensive - but I think calling out people who *do* find it funny is a big overreaction. I do think "I find this offensive therefore you shouldn't find it funny" is judgemental.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 04:31:33 AM »
I know I am almost OCD about language.  Possibly because my mother brought me up with her Draconian standards! I guess I was being judgemental...maybe...

I just really hate the F word!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 04:43:51 AM »
I just really hate the F word!!

Funny how people are different. I don't mind the f-word and would much rather hear that than blasphemy or degrading language.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice