News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 25, 2015, 07:24:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fanfic Thread  (Read 5170 times)

Reika

Re: Fanfic Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2015, 02:40:51 PM »
As mentioned earlier, I only write Dragon Age (specifically Origins at this time) and stuff off Mass Effect (primarily 2 and 3). I've gotten some doozies in private messages.

With my Dragon Age stuff, my main character is Fem!Cousland paired with Alistair, which I know is pretty typical, however I've run in some odd directions with the stories themselves. I've clearly established they started off as friends first then more involved as time went on. I also had it pretty clear that my character is incredibly loyal and isn't flighty in her attentions.

So when I progressed from the main Origins storyline to my take on the Awakening expansion, I had people telling me, not asking, but telling me that she needed to have a fling with Nathaniel Howe. Despite the fact she was ready to kill him when he first popped up, and that she'd always seen him as another big brother. Plus the whole cheating thing was completely not in her nature.

Thankfully those demands have ended, but they just left me feeling really gross.

I've been slowly working on a story that's post Mass Effect 3 where the initial fan outcry about the ending gave me a "What if" idea. While I was very clear that my story wasn't a romance based (there will be some light stuff eventually), the number of angry messages I got about how I was handling Kaidan Alenko was a little scary. Thankfully they too seem to have tapered off.

Cherry91

« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2015, 04:16:44 PM »
This was more weird than outright offensive, but it kinda rubbed me the wrong way...

I was part of a fandom and wrote a very heavily AU piece for it. It was multi chapter and getting pretty long, and gaining a decent amount of positive feedback, when... I hit a wall. I stopped writing the fic, and in the meantime, lost interest in the fandom. Eventually, I admitted defeat, apologised to my subscribers and declared the fic abandoned.

A short while later, another writer contacted me over the IM - to ask if she could have my story! She wanted me to send her copies of the chapter files so she could upload them under her own pen name and finish the story as she so wished!

I'd never heard of such a thing happening, and was surprised at the strangeness and audacity of the request. I think I wrote a quick message about how although I had given up on the fic, I still had an idea of how I wanted it to end and thus couldn't hand over creative control in such a way, but she was welcome to take the basic concept and write her own version of it.
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

Kariachi

« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »
I still have one review I got as a young teen saved for when I need a good laugh.

At the time the majority of my fic was for Digimon and Pokemon and this particular fic was a crossover romance involving two characters who are both presented as male. Nothing dirty or anything, just pure fluff between the pair. Then one morning I check my email before school to find

"This [cuss] is so g@y  >:("

I was laughing the whole day  ;D Really? That's the insult you decided to use for my slash fanfic? Still the funniest response I've ever gotten to a story.

Never gotten any story requests I didn't specifically ask for. I've written things inspired by ideas someone told me about (and made it clear where the idea came from and that I'd take them down if they liked), and I am the master of writing fic of fic, but nobody has hassled me over anything in years.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2015, 05:47:09 PM »
I still have one review I got as a young teen saved for when I need a good laugh.

At the time the majority of my fic was for Digimon and Pokemon and this particular fic was a crossover romance involving two characters who are both presented as male. Nothing dirty or anything, just pure fluff between the pair. Then one morning I check my email before school to find

"This [cuss] is so g@y  >:("

I was laughing the whole day  ;D Really? That's the insult you decided to use for my slash fanfic? Still the funniest response I've ever gotten to a story.

Never gotten any story requests I didn't specifically ask for. I've written things inspired by ideas someone told me about (and made it clear where the idea came from and that I'd take them down if they liked), and I am the master of writing fic of fic, but nobody has hassled me over anything in years.

The best bad review I ever got was "Absolut cr@p".

Yes, that is a rather bad brand of alcohol, but I don't think that's what they meant...  >:D
"So, what did you wish for?"
"I wished for... World domination, of course."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2015, 07:28:05 PM »
This was more weird than outright offensive, but it kinda rubbed me the wrong way...

I was part of a fandom and wrote a very heavily AU piece for it. It was multi chapter and getting pretty long, and gaining a decent amount of positive feedback, when... I hit a wall. I stopped writing the fic, and in the meantime, lost interest in the fandom. Eventually, I admitted defeat, apologised to my subscribers and declared the fic abandoned.

A short while later, another writer contacted me over the IM - to ask if she could have my story! She wanted me to send her copies of the chapter files so she could upload them under her own pen name and finish the story as she so wished!

I'd never heard of such a thing happening, and was surprised at the strangeness and audacity of the request. I think I wrote a quick message about how although I had given up on the fic, I still had an idea of how I wanted it to end and thus couldn't hand over creative control in such a way, but she was welcome to take the basic concept and write her own version of it.

She sure has some brass ones, doesn't she?

I've heard of authors finishing up abandoned stories and calling it fanfic of a fanfic, but they only take credit for their own part.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2015, 09:47:56 AM »

I have seen people ask to FINISH a story, but they're not asking to take credit for a fic they didn't start; it's more in the nature of a collaboration.

This? Nope. Beyond the pale.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts