News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 26, 2015, 04:16:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 20 years today  (Read 744 times)

katiescarlett

20 years today
« on: April 19, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »
I can't believe that 20 years ago today, my state was rocked by the OKC bombing.  Hard to believe it's been so long.  I can remember my cousin's first child was born on the 7th, and was so tiny and new, and we all held on to that baby so tight once we found out about the daycare center.  Until 9/11, that was the most horrendous thing I had ever heard of happening to Americans, on our soil anyway.  (Not in any way diminishing Pearl Harbor, just in my lifetime)

Peppergirl

Re: 20 years today
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 05:03:22 PM »
Very hard to believe, I agree.

This is one of those events where I think most of us can remember what we were doing when it occurred.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 05:25:26 PM »
Not just on our soil, but the perpetrator was himself an American.  :'(

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »
We visited the museum and garden(?) with the chairs and pool in 2013. So very well done. Educational and thought-provoking. I felt as if I were standing on sacred ground.

katiescarlett

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 08:11:43 PM »
Not just on our soil, but the perpetrator was himself an American.  :'(

Oh, yes.  This makes it even worse!  One of my Facebook friends, a woman I have known a long time, posted today that she worked at that daycare off and on during that time as she was in college.  She was not there that day because she was student teaching.  She was telling us how she knew and loved those babies that died, and how McVeigh had to have known there was a daycare center there.  He parked that truck directly in front of the window all the baby swings were lined up against, and they were visible from the outside.  So sad!

gmatoy

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 11:10:48 PM »
I remember that day. My husband was a Federal employee and I didn't know if there would be another attack. I was so scared. And when they started to talk about the day care, I just sobbed.

I remember the talk before we knew it was an American. And the shock when we knew.

ddawn23

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:24:25 PM »
I was a fourth grader.  We were going downtown on a field trip that day, and I had just stepped out of the school building to get on the bus when it happened.  My school was five miles away from the Murrah Building as the crow flies, and the blast sounded like thunder.  I remember several of us looking up, scanning the sky for clouds, and finding none.  We sat on the bus in front of the school for a long time, and then the principal got on and said there had been an explosion downtown so the field trip was cancelled.  She offered to call anybody's parents who worked downtown to make sure they were okay and told us that we shouldn't tell any of the younger kids at the school about the explosion.  We headed back to our classrooms, and without any lesson planned, my teacher brought in a TV.  She turned it on and we watched the news for a while, so I actually got to see some of the now-iconic images as they happened.  We ended up watching the movie Fern Gully.  I was 16 on 9/11 and out of nowhere had the overwhelming urge to watch Fern Gully.  A couple of weeks after the bombing my grandmother was in a downtown hospital and had a perfect view of the building from her room.  My family went to visit her on a Sunday, so she had Lawrence Welk on.  My mind now associates an animated movie and an ancient variety program with acts of terrorism.

My mom was in the last months of residency, and for a couple of weeks after the bombing she worked really late hours.  I found out later she was volunteering in the morgue helping to identify bodies.  It took me years to be able to visit the memorial, but it's absolutely phenomenal-- the museum especially.  I highly recommend it to anyone passing through OKC.

lowspark

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 01:38:10 PM »
Another recommendation for the memorial museum. I have a friend who lives near OKC (she lost a cousin that day) and we were visiting her and went to the museum. We did not want to leave. It was incredibly well done and extremely compelling. Even my kids who were ~middle school aged didn't want to leave. We just wanted to linger at each part of the exhibit and read every word. We finally had to speed it up and finish because we were all famished and needed to get lunch. It's really a Don't-Miss kind of place.
Houston 
Texas 
USA