Author Topic: Computer help? Decisions, decisions... Update - Crisis postponed!  (Read 593 times)

otterwoman

Re: Computer help? Decisions, decisions...
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »
Dh and I have each gotten refurbished desktops from Walmart.com, and have been happy with them. Each came with more hard drive space than advertised, and as desktops, we have gone in and tweaked things as needed (more RAM). We tossed the cheap keyboards that came with them.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Computer help? Decisions, decisions...
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 04:22:50 PM »
Update - It's alive!! It's alive!!! Bwahahaaa!!

Sort of.

Thank you all so much for your opinions! I looked at some nice refurbished and online deals that would be better than the ones I was thinking of. But in the meantime, I went to a secondhand shop to see what they had for cables, and they had some good computer parts. Someone must have cleaned out the old stuff in their repair shop. There was even some brand new RAM still in the package! Too bad mine is only a plain DDR SDRAM - that newfangled DDR 2 that you have, Vorfemme, is too much for my baby. ;D

But I did get a new disk drive and the computer runs a little better! I guess the old broken one must have given the thing a cyberache. I might be able to baby this thing along until I can save up for a better one.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Computer help? Decisions, decisions... Update - Crisis postponed!
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 04:41:08 PM »
DDR, DDR2, DDR3, or whatever - when the RAM goes out - it's like that old poem about the horseshoe nail...the whole system just shuts down.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:45:18 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Computer help? Decisions, decisions... Update - Crisis postponed!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »
In a very general sense, tablets are mostly for content consumption and computers are for content creation.  Which is to say, if all you really do is read on the internet and play little games, tablets are great.  If you're writing/blogging/drawing/etc. a lot, though, a real computer (laptop or otherwise) is a much better bet.  A desktop also has the advantage of allowing you to fix it a piece at a time, instead of having to replace the whole thing if something stops working . . .