Author Topic: Captain Know-It-All stories  (Read 157501 times)

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
Re: Captian Know-It-All stories
« Reply #1020 on: August 14, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »
My SO. He seems to think that every strategy he has ever used for himself will work for me. For example, he gets too hot while he is sleeping at night, and he uses a strategy he calls "venting a foot". This is fairly obvious, he sticks his foot out from under the covers. When we are snuggling, he tends to get too hot and thinks that I must be the cause, and should therefor vent a foot. He ignores all of the evidence that I have awful circulation, and this strategy just makes my foot REALLY cold. Also, I'm not too hot in the first place, it's just that I'm warmer than the air around me which prevents him from loosing as much heat as he would if he was lying by himself. This leads to the following conversation quite a bit:

SO: You're too hot. Vent a toe.
Me: I'm not too hot, you're too hot. You vent a toe.
SO: NutMeg, trust me. You're overheating. You need to vent your foot.
Me: SO, do you know how infuriating it is to have someone else try to tell you what your own body is feeling? Repeat after me. I. AM. NOT. HOT.
SO: NutMeg, we have this argument a lot. See? You're sweating.
Me: SO, I'm going to kill you soon. The only sweat is where we're touching, the rest of me is fine. Oddly enough, there is sweat all over your body. Now go away and leave me alone. I'm not snuggling with you anymore.

I realize this particular post is almost four years old, but ever since I read it, any time I get hot in bed (umm...literally, I mean), I tell myself to vent a foot.  And then I found this article on Yahoo this morning!

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/the-secret-to-a-better-nights-sleep-your-foot-94562393438.html

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1021 on: August 14, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »
My SO. He seems to think that every strategy he has ever used for himself will work for me. For example, he gets too hot while he is sleeping at night, and he uses a strategy he calls "venting a foot". This is fairly obvious, he sticks his foot out from under the covers. When we are snuggling, he tends to get too hot and thinks that I must be the cause, and should therefor vent a foot. He ignores all of the evidence that I have awful circulation, and this strategy just makes my foot REALLY cold. Also, I'm not too hot in the first place, it's just that I'm warmer than the air around me which prevents him from loosing as much heat as he would if he was lying by himself. This leads to the following conversation quite a bit:

Me: SO, do you know how infuriating it is to have someone else try to tell you what your own body is feeling? Repeat after me. I. AM. NOT. HOT.
Me: SO, I'm going to kill you soon. The only sweat is where we're touching, the rest of me is fine. Oddly enough, there is sweat all over your body. Now go away and leave me alone. I'm not snuggling with you anymore.

I realize this particular post is almost four years old, but ever since I read it, any time I get hot in bed (umm...literally, I mean), I tell myself to vent a foot.  And then I found this article on Yahoo this morning!

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/the-secret-to-a-better-nights-sleep-your-foot-94562393438.html

That's so funny, because I remember reading an article ages ago, about how if you were having trouble falling asleep, you should try to keep your feet warm (wear socks).  I wear socks to bed when it's cold (I tend to run cold), and it drives my husband crazy, because he can't imagine wearing socks to bed.  Or "all those clothes" for that matter (in winter, I'll wear warm microfleece or the like, and he sleeps with a light layer year-round).

daen

« Reply #1022 on: August 14, 2014, 10:34:27 AM »

That's so funny, because I remember reading an article ages ago, about how if you were having trouble falling asleep, you should try to keep your feet warm (wear socks).  I wear socks to bed when it's cold (I tend to run cold), and it drives my husband crazy, because he can't imagine wearing socks to bed.  Or "all those clothes" for that matter (in winter, I'll wear warm microfleece or the like, and he sleeps with a light layer year-round).

I used to do the foot-vent thing when I was younger. Now it seems that my feet and ankles get cold quickly, and when they're cold, they're unhappy. I now have a whole sleep-sock routine, and it improves my nights considerably.
I'm looking at options for similar coverings for elbows and shoulders, which are also becoming cold-sensitive. Sadly, there is no solution I've found for those that's as simple as 1. Buy socks. 2. Put them on.

TriCrazy73

Re: Captain Know-It-All stories
« Reply #1023 on: August 14, 2014, 10:40:33 AM »
I vent a foot all the time...makes a big difference for me.  Weirdly, I cannot abide sock on in bed.  It makes me feel like I can't breathe.  Strange, I know.  I tend to run a bit hot anyway and it drives my DH nutty.  He always needs to be covered, even in the summer!

Shalamar

« Reply #1024 on: August 14, 2014, 10:46:10 AM »
I told my husband the "vent a toe" story recently, and he laughed until he cried.  And now I'm giggling all over again.   ;D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1025 on: August 14, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »
I vent my arms.  They are almost never under the covers unless it is really cold.

I have an electric blanket that I turn on when I'm cold.  I only leave it on while I'm reading then I turn it off when I turn the light off.  If I go to sleep warm, I generally stay warm all night.  It's the only way I can do it because I can't stand wearing clothes to bed.  I never sleep well away from home because I have to wear pajamas and the little wrinkles under me drive me crazy and keep me awake.  I hate bedsheet wrinkles, too.  But I do need to be somewhat covered, at least to my waist, even in the summer.

I'm a bit of a CKIA.   :-[  But I'm generally right; I don't make stuff up.  I find myself in conversations where I come out with this obscure but accurate piece of trivia and people will look at me, shake their heads, ask, 'How do you *know* that?'  Wherein I apologize for my steel-trap for trivia but not for anything actually important brain and the conversation carries on.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #1026 on: August 14, 2014, 04:00:35 PM »
I'm a bit of a CKIA.   :-[  But I'm generally right; I don't make stuff up.  I find myself in conversations where I come out with this obscure but accurate piece of trivia and people will look at me, shake their heads, ask, 'How do you *know* that?'  Wherein I apologize for my steel-trap for trivia but not for anything actually important brain and the conversation carries on.

I guess I'm sort of a CKIA too, but I do make stuff up.  Generally I admit I'm making it up / guessing, but I'm usually right too.  My Uncle and I were touring some buildings in Venice with some odd quirks, and he kept wondering about them, so I'd quickly make up a reason.  When the tour guide got around to answering the questions, I was right every time.  He was flabbergasted and asked how I knew that much about a place I'd never been.  I had to sheepishly admit to just being really good at guessing.  :)

oogyda

« Reply #1027 on: August 14, 2014, 06:07:48 PM »
I'd forgotten about this thread, but it brought to mind a recent conversation with BIL.  He was bragging to MIL.  about their cruises and vacations to Vegas and all their future vacation plans.  He said they had been thinking about going to Yellowstone, but decided not to because those big fires out there had decimated the park and either killed or driven off all the wildlife.

Oogydh and I looked quizically at him and I asked "Do you mean the ones in 1988?"  He said "Yeah.  The year they had all those big fires."

That started an immediate back and forth conversation between Oogydh and myself debunking all of that, assuring him that the entire ecosystem has not only recovered, but flourished.  We encouraged him to go and started telling him some things they should see and do.  Guessing from the sour look on his face, I'm guessing he never realized how close the park is to my parent's home (even though he's been there), or that we might have been there a few times since then.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Allyson

« Reply #1028 on: August 14, 2014, 06:56:40 PM »
I love my friend, but she's a great example of someone who reads a book on a subject and thinks she knows more than people who are, well, more expert than that. For instance, she took a class and read a book from Religion X in college, and was upset by something in it. She thinks now that her friends who are that religion don't understand it, but have just joined it for trendiness etc. Her reasoning is that these people couldn't have wanted to join if they knew the anecdote that she did. I pointed out that all religions with ancient texts probably have things in them that, to our modern readings, seem awful. I did not say anything like "I am rather shocked you think that reading one text in your undergrad means you are more expert than actual followers..." but yeah.

NutMeg

« Reply #1029 on: August 15, 2014, 01:23:19 AM »
Haha, funnily enough I'm not with that guy anymore, but sometimes my current partner will tell me to vent a toe just to rile me up.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #1030 on: August 15, 2014, 10:14:52 AM »
I heard one at the museum where I volunteer. We do programs for schools. A class came for a program and the teacher kept trying to take over for the docents who did the presentations. Just stepped in front of the docents and began talking and picking up demonstration items (fortunately, all are replicas, not precious artifacts). When they got to a demonstration of some 19th Century machines, the docent was someone who had been operating those machines and describing them to visitors for at least a decade. The teacher kept butting in to tell him that he was totally wrong and "here's how it really happened."

The principal of the school has been notified that this teacher is not welcome to return.
We had a similar one at an engineering museum I went to, discussing certain aspects of history. One of the tour group at the back of the group was quietly correcting the tour guide.

It's not quite a CKIA story because when the slightly irate guide asked how he knew all this, the chap's answer was "I was there." He'd been part of the original organisation and helped found it. The tour guide spent most of the rest of the tour picking his brains. It was a very memorable visit.

Cherry91

« Reply #1031 on: August 15, 2014, 11:36:51 AM »
I had a friend, in almost every other way a fantastic guy, who had a really frustrating habit of dismissing opinions that differed from his in political debates with "You're just brainwashed by the X" (removing all ideologies from the example to avoid derailing with a political debate). I found it incredibly dismissive and patronising, and as a result began to hate it when group conversations turned towards politics.

Then, one day the group were discussing sexism and feminism, and as a passionate feminist and also the only girl in the group, I was very enthusiastic about the conversation. I actually without realising responded to a point about men experiencing sexism as well with "Well yeah, that's patriarchal backlash, you've been brainwashed by the patriarchy into accepting it." (My mirroring of friend's comment was not intentional, I have a habit of picking up friends' phrases).

Friend later said to me that he hadn't liked it when I said that! I as nicely as possible stated that I didn't like it much when he did it to me, and he apologised. Turned out he'd picked it up from his dad, and he admitted he didn't like it when his dad used it either. So sometimes know-it-alls don't know they're being know-it-alls!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:47:19 AM by Cherry91 »

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #1032 on: August 15, 2014, 02:05:57 PM »
We had a similar one at an engineering museum I went to, discussing certain aspects of history. One of the tour group at the back of the group was quietly correcting the tour guide.

It's not quite a CKIA story because when the slightly irate guide asked how he knew all this, the chap's answer was "I was there." He'd been part of the original organisation and helped found it. The tour guide spent most of the rest of the tour picking his brains. It was a very memorable visit.

I had one like that that ended up not being so pleasant, because I have zero tolerance for BS. My company is quite knowledgeable about our industry, but we hired an outside consultant to provide some more perspective and detail. During the meeting with the consultant he:
  • Started in with the basic ABCs of the industry. That works when he's advising companies that are new to this area, but like teaching grandma to suck eggs for us;
  • Claimed that certain things weren't in a particular international standard in our industry. Argued with me, vehemently, when I said that they were. The problem is: I'm one of the people who wrote that standard and am responsible for implementing it in our product;
  • Claimed to have been involved in the development of two standards. I don't recall him at any of the meetings and I just checked the rosters and he doesn't show up. See #2 above;
  • Repeatedly interrupted me and talked over me a when I tried to explain why I know what I know.

Unfortunately, he's buddy-buddy with the VP that has it in for me, so this didn't go well at all.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1033 on: August 22, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »
The museum stories reminded me of when my friend and I went to the American history museum in Washington DC. She really loves American history and can be a know-it-all/always-right kind of person. It started to remind me of Hermione in the first Harry Potter movie--every time the guide asked, "And does anyone know who this portrait is/who did this?" it would be her popping up with the answer. And then she would argue with the guide about different points, like whether a certain issue was a big deal at the time or not. I have no idea who was right, and some things might have been just a matter of interpretation, but it didn't seem like the right forum to have a debate, IMO. It was kind of embarrassing for me.
~Lynn2000

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1034 on: August 22, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »
Ever had CKIA tell you that the white envelope with the important papers is missing from where it is supposed to be and that it must be found *right*this*minute?

Only to have the searcher find that the important papers are exactly where they are supposed to be - but the envelope is *not* white?

I'm wondering if CKIA (not VorGuy or VorSon, but another male relative) is refusing to admit that it's time to get an eye exam.  Or something...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?