A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Captain Know-It-All stories

<< < (205/212) > >>

rain:
in college I had a roommate who thought I was a "know it all" about songs on the radio

thing is, unless I was 100% certain I was right, I wouldn't claim to be right - so anytime we disagreed about a song & artist I was always right  (if I was unsure, I'd say that)

mrs_deb:

--- Quote from: NutMeg on November 29, 2010, 12:24:11 PM ---My SO. He seems to think that every strategy he has ever used for himself will work for me. For example, he gets too hot while he is sleeping at night, and he uses a strategy he calls "venting a foot". This is fairly obvious, he sticks his foot out from under the covers. When we are snuggling, he tends to get too hot and thinks that I must be the cause, and should therefor vent a foot. He ignores all of the evidence that I have awful circulation, and this strategy just makes my foot REALLY cold. Also, I'm not too hot in the first place, it's just that I'm warmer than the air around me which prevents him from loosing as much heat as he would if he was lying by himself. This leads to the following conversation quite a bit:

SO: You're too hot. Vent a toe.
Me: I'm not too hot, you're too hot. You vent a toe.
SO: NutMeg, trust me. You're overheating. You need to vent your foot.
Me: SO, do you know how infuriating it is to have someone else try to tell you what your own body is feeling? Repeat after me. I. AM. NOT. HOT.
SO: NutMeg, we have this argument a lot. See? You're sweating.
Me: SO, I'm going to kill you soon. The only sweat is where we're touching, the rest of me is fine. Oddly enough, there is sweat all over your body. Now go away and leave me alone. I'm not snuggling with you anymore.

--- End quote ---

I realize this particular post is almost four years old, but ever since I read it, any time I get hot in bed (umm...literally, I mean), I tell myself to vent a foot.  And then I found this article on Yahoo this morning!

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/the-secret-to-a-better-nights-sleep-your-foot-94562393438.html

MommyPenguin:

--- Quote from: mrs_deb on August 14, 2014, 09:52:58 AM ---
--- Quote from: NutMeg on November 29, 2010, 12:24:11 PM ---My SO. He seems to think that every strategy he has ever used for himself will work for me. For example, he gets too hot while he is sleeping at night, and he uses a strategy he calls "venting a foot". This is fairly obvious, he sticks his foot out from under the covers. When we are snuggling, he tends to get too hot and thinks that I must be the cause, and should therefor vent a foot. He ignores all of the evidence that I have awful circulation, and this strategy just makes my foot REALLY cold. Also, I'm not too hot in the first place, it's just that I'm warmer than the air around me which prevents him from loosing as much heat as he would if he was lying by himself. This leads to the following conversation quite a bit:

Me: SO, do you know how infuriating it is to have someone else try to tell you what your own body is feeling? Repeat after me. I. AM. NOT. HOT.
Me: SO, I'm going to kill you soon. The only sweat is where we're touching, the rest of me is fine. Oddly enough, there is sweat all over your body. Now go away and leave me alone. I'm not snuggling with you anymore.

--- End quote ---

I realize this particular post is almost four years old, but ever since I read it, any time I get hot in bed (umm...literally, I mean), I tell myself to vent a foot.  And then I found this article on Yahoo this morning!

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/the-secret-to-a-better-nights-sleep-your-foot-94562393438.html

--- End quote ---

That's so funny, because I remember reading an article ages ago, about how if you were having trouble falling asleep, you should try to keep your feet warm (wear socks).  I wear socks to bed when it's cold (I tend to run cold), and it drives my husband crazy, because he can't imagine wearing socks to bed.  Or "all those clothes" for that matter (in winter, I'll wear warm microfleece or the like, and he sleeps with a light layer year-round).

daen:

--- Quote from: MommyPenguin on August 14, 2014, 10:26:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: mrs_deb on August 14, 2014, 09:52:58 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

That's so funny, because I remember reading an article ages ago, about how if you were having trouble falling asleep, you should try to keep your feet warm (wear socks).  I wear socks to bed when it's cold (I tend to run cold), and it drives my husband crazy, because he can't imagine wearing socks to bed.  Or "all those clothes" for that matter (in winter, I'll wear warm microfleece or the like, and he sleeps with a light layer year-round).

--- End quote ---

I used to do the foot-vent thing when I was younger. Now it seems that my feet and ankles get cold quickly, and when they're cold, they're unhappy. I now have a whole sleep-sock routine, and it improves my nights considerably.
I'm looking at options for similar coverings for elbows and shoulders, which are also becoming cold-sensitive. Sadly, there is no solution I've found for those that's as simple as 1. Buy socks. 2. Put them on.

TriCrazy73:
I vent a foot all the time...makes a big difference for me.  Weirdly, I cannot abide sock on in bed.  It makes me feel like I can't breathe.  Strange, I know.  I tend to run a bit hot anyway and it drives my DH nutty.  He always needs to be covered, even in the summer!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version