News:

• February 25, 2018, 06:01:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Captain Know-It-All stories  (Read 473714 times)

lkb

Re: Captain Know-It-All stories
« Reply #1065 on: August 27, 2014, 04:57:33 PM »
Sorry for the thread jack, but for all Laura Ingalls Wilder fans, I understand Pioneer Girl (the manuscript that Laura did as a novel for adults but was rejected, thus leading to the Little House series) is going to be published this fall.

I've read Ghost in the Little House and some others about the "controversy" concerning whether Rose actually wrote the Little House books or heavily edited them etc. So, I'm very interested to see what Pioneer Girl says.

When I first heard about the controversy, I too was disappointed, but I've come to believe that Rose helped her a lot but the main stories were Laura's. (Their styles are quite different and I can't see Rose writing for children.)

Back to other Captain Know It Alls.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1066 on: August 27, 2014, 10:50:20 PM »
I know it's not evidence, but I think many fans who haven't read the Little House books would be surprised if they re-read them. There's stories in the Big Woods books that aren't very much in line with our modern beliefs about childrearing. IIRC, Pa tells a story about disobeying his father, with terrifying and painful consequences, and there's no sympathy at all for the little boy- he got what he deserved for being disobedient. And there's the scene when Ma finishes braiding Laura's and Mary's hair, and tells them to go ask their aunt which she likes better, blonde hair or brown hair. What was Ma thinking? Over and over in the books, Laura writes about feeling ugly because she has ugly brown hair, and Mary has beautiful blonde hair. Why would a parent want to set up one sister to feel inferior?
The parents seem much kindlier in later books, more in tune with their children's feelings.

poundcake

« Reply #1067 on: August 28, 2014, 02:30:47 AM »
Ghost in the Little House is great, but it's also very specifically slanted. The good thing is, you get chunks of Rose's diary. But Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder is also a good resource. And yes, I've done a bunch of critical work comparing Laura's originals and Rose's edits on sections with specific political ideology (namely, The Fourth of July scenes), and the differences are amazing. Also, blind Mary as portrayed in Laura's originals is not the passive, quiet, beatific Victorian maiden in the LH books. Pa was often out to pull one over on the government and wasn't above a little lyin' and cheatin'. And Ma was good for a couple zingers. (I always think of the "They that dance must pay the fiddler" comment about Laura's pregnancy in the First Four Years.) In fact need to get my hands on a non-Roger MacBride-edited First Four Years. THAT would be amazing.

I'm also curious how much editing they've done on the Pioneer Girl mss. I'm so excited about that I could slap Nellie Oleson!

See? I told you I was a CKIA.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:33:48 AM by poundcake »

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #1068 on: August 28, 2014, 03:50:18 AM »
I have to really watch it when I go to an astronomical observatory or a space exhibit at a museum.  I've been into astronomy since I was 10 years old (and back then Jupiter only had 12 moons) and I have to really stifle the urge to to take over any tours.  I went on an observatory tour waaaaaaay back when Jupiter's rings had just been discovered, and apparently the tour guide hadn't heard about it because I was told that Saturn was the only ringed planet.  Planetarium shows aren't too bad; most of the time the information is up to the minute, but if you're going to conduct tours somewhere you really should stay up to date on what it's all about.
She really was rather out of date: if they had just discovered Jupiter's rings then they knew about Uranus already. (Yes, I try hard to keep my mouth shut on such tours).

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1069 on: August 28, 2014, 08:17:01 AM »
I have to really watch it when I go to an astronomical observatory or a space exhibit at a museum.  I've been into astronomy since I was 10 years old (and back then Jupiter only had 12 moons) and I have to really stifle the urge to to take over any tours.  I went on an observatory tour waaaaaaay back when Jupiter's rings had just been discovered, and apparently the tour guide hadn't heard about it because I was told that Saturn was the only ringed planet.  Planetarium shows aren't too bad; most of the time the information is up to the minute, but if you're going to conduct tours somewhere you really should stay up to date on what it's all about.
She really was rather out of date: if they had just discovered Jupiter's rings then they knew about Uranus already. (Yes, I try hard to keep my mouth shut on such tours).

I was *so* sitting on my hands so as not to be a know-it-all and ask about Uranus's rings, too.  I only know about them because we recently studied astronomy together for school, but, yeah, Uranus and Jupiter both.  I thought the ones on Uranus were really hard to see because of the angle or something, though, so I wouldn't have known they were discovered first.  Unless I have Jupiter and Uranus mixed up.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Asharah

« Reply #1070 on: August 28, 2014, 08:46:51 AM »
I think Saturn's rings are so obvious because they're full of chunks of ice. Uranus and Neptune have rings made of darker material. And Jupiter's rings are made of very fine material, "dust rings".
Asharah

Addy

« Reply #1071 on: August 28, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »
Ghost in the Little House is great, but it's also very specifically slanted. The good thing is, you get chunks of Rose's diary. But Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder is also a good resource. And yes, I've done a bunch of critical work comparing Laura's originals and Rose's edits on sections with specific political ideology (namely, The Fourth of July scenes), and the differences are amazing. Also, blind Mary as portrayed in Laura's originals is not the passive, quiet, beatific Victorian maiden in the LH books. Pa was often out to pull one over on the government and wasn't above a little lyin' and cheatin'. And Ma was good for a couple zingers. (I always think of the "They that dance must pay the fiddler" comment about Laura's pregnancy in the First Four Years.) In fact need to get my hands on a non-Roger MacBride-edited First Four Years. THAT would be amazing.

I'm also curious how much editing they've done on the Pioneer Girl mss. I'm so excited about that I could slap Nellie Oleson!

Well, that's not saying much, we'd all like to slap Nellie Oleson!  >:D

Shalamar

« Reply #1072 on: August 28, 2014, 11:45:35 AM »
I'm sitting here eating a rather disappointing lunch - we tried to make vegan hash the other day with potatoes and vegan sausages, and it was a disaster.  The sausages were fine (Tofurky brand - we have them all the time), but the recipe didn't give very good directions on how to cook hash browns, so the spuds were gluey and half-cooked and yuck.

Where does the CKIA come in?  Well, I posted about this on Facebook, and I got one response that said something like "Real vegans should only eat grains and legumes and vegetables.  I'll never understand why vegans eat meat substitutes."  Another response said "I can tolerate vegans so long as they're not holier-than-thou.  Please don't become one of 'those' types of vegans, (Shalamar)."

First of all, not that it really matters, but I'm not a vegan - my daughter is.  We cook a lot of vegan dishes for her sake, plus it's healthier for us.  Second of all, whose business is it what "type" of vegan I am?  Hmph.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #1073 on: August 28, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »
I'm sitting here eating a rather disappointing lunch - we tried to make vegan hash the other day with potatoes and vegan sausages, and it was a disaster.  The sausages were fine (Tofurky brand - we have them all the time), but the recipe didn't give very good directions on how to cook hash browns, so the spuds were gluey and half-cooked and yuck.

Where does the CKIA come in?  Well, I posted about this on Facebook, and I got one response that said something like "Real vegans should only eat grains and legumes and vegetables.  I'll never understand why vegans eat meat substitutes."  Another response said "I can tolerate vegans so long as they're not holier-than-thou.  Please don't become one of 'those' types of vegans, (Shalamar)."

First of all, not that it really matters, but I'm not a vegan - my daughter is.  We cook a lot of vegan dishes for her sake, plus it's healthier for us.  Second of all, whose business is it what "type" of vegan I am?  Hmph.

I would be tempted to reply, "You don't have to understand, it's not your decision."  Then I would also reply, "What about my personality suggests that I would do that?"  I hate the judgment statements people feel the need to post and I have no problem challenging them.

weeblewobble

« Reply #1074 on: August 28, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »
What is this, Sparta? Were you preparing for your child to leave for battle training?
Ha!

When my mother told me this tidbit, it was when my daughter was a few months old. I was holding her and gave her a kiss and my mother commented that, "It's such a shame that when she turns five, you'll have to stop that."  I questioned this idiocy and she told me of this advice and we had QUITE the conversation as a result, which led to her belatedlly realizing how stupid her doctor had been.  My mother was a reasonably intelligent person with a college education, but she fell into this trap of believing experts over some really basic common sense.

And thanks to those of you who expressed sympathy.

I am so sorry, Cami. I want to give you a huge hug, right now.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #1075 on: August 28, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »

There's a scene in By the Shores of Silver Lake, I think, where Aunt Docia and Uncle Whatsisname and Cousin Lena are stealing supplies from the railroad company. And it's presented as all right because the railroad didn't pay Uncle enough. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hillia

« Reply #1076 on: August 28, 2014, 05:12:30 PM »

There's a scene in By the Shores of Silver Lake, I think, where Aunt Docia and Uncle Whatsisname and Cousin Lena are stealing supplies from the railroad company. And it's presented as all right because the railroad didn't pay Uncle enough.

I remember that, because Aunt Docia saying that her husband 'worked like a nailer' for the railroad.  I'm pretty sure the original text didn't use 'nailer' but an extremely offensive racial slur that would have pretty commonplace back then.

Sirius

« Reply #1077 on: August 28, 2014, 05:28:09 PM »
As an aside, you know what I've been told when talking about astronomical things?  "You're a girl - how do you know that?"  I was helping out a friend who had his telescopes set up for a church Youth Night, and he'd asked me to help answer questions, etc.  I was explaining what one of the telescopes was focused on (the half Moon) and that the boundary between light and dark was called the "terminator."  I heard all kinds of remarks about how I shouldn't know things like that since I'm a girl.  (I was in my 30s, so I wasn't exactly a 'girl' at the time.)  Had news for them - I'd probably been interested in astronomy longer than most of those teenaged guys had been alive. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1078 on: August 28, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »

re: Hash Browns - bake the potatoes the night before, let cool overnight, then grate & cook the next morning. :-) That's how my hubby does it, anyway (I can ask for more details if you'd like) and they always turn out great.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

magician5

« Reply #1079 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:46 PM »
Hash brown trick: great idea!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.