News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 07:01:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Captain Know-It-All stories  (Read 511195 times)

gramma dishes

Re: Captain Know-It-All stories
« Reply #1065 on: August 29, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »
I get the impression that whether or not the word "of" is appropriate to use with myriad depends on whether you're using the word as a noun or an adjective.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myriad

Twik

« Reply #1066 on: August 29, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »
If Thoreau writes "a myriad of" who am I to disagree?
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

gramma dishes

« Reply #1067 on: August 29, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »

I use the word myriad with the 'of' frequently and to be honest was quite surprised to learn that it was used any other way! 

I also had no idea it was ever used to indicate the specific number 10,000.  I really do think Ehell is a great source for continuing education!   :)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #1068 on: August 29, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »

I was once told "the reason that a great writer is allowed to break the rules is because they know what the rules are and when it's okay to break them."  :)

z_squared82

« Reply #1069 on: August 29, 2014, 01:29:31 PM »
I would either say "10,000 shoes" or "a great number of shoes". I would never say "a great number shoes."

Either way, that was just one example of how that man was an insufferable Know It All and I'm so glad he's no longer married to that girl I like and lives in a different time zone.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1070 on: August 29, 2014, 01:48:37 PM »
Yup, sweet things are 'girly', red meat is 'manly' and so on. There's a dark chocolate version of Pocky that's marketed as 'Men's Pocky' in Japan, because over there guys really aren't supposed to like sweet things. ::) :P

One day my dad came home from work with a big bag of dark chocolate and a look of total confusion. He had grabbed the bag to share, but one of the other men had said that "men don't eat dark chocolate". None of the other guys would touch it after that, it was just my dad and the womenfolk. We still tease him about how we can't share our dark chocolate with him 'cause he's a guy and they don't eat dark chocolate don'tcha know*. ;D

*yes we still share the chocolate, it's a family thing

That's weird. My dad loves dark chocolate. And he's a man, so ... ??? I wonder who thought up that "rule."  ::)

Maybe a woman who didn't want to share her dark chocolate with a male chauvinist?

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1071 on: August 29, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »
Recent criticism of the use of myriad as a noun, both in the plural form myriads and in the phrase a myriad of, seems to reflect a mistaken belief that the word was originally and is still properly only an adjective. As the entries here show, however, the noun is in fact the older form, dating to the 16th century. The noun myriad has appeared in the works of such writers as Milton (plural myriads) and Thoreau (a myriad of), and it continues to occur frequently in reputable English. There is no reason to avoid it.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myriad

Noun
1 A countless or extremely great number of people or things:
myriads of insects danced around the light above my head
2 (Chiefly in classical history) a unit of ten thousand:
the army was organized on a decimal system, up to divisions of 10,000 or myriads

ADJECTIVE
1 Countless or extremely great in number:
he gazed at the myriad lights of the city
1.1 Having countless or very many elements or aspects:
the myriad political scene
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/myriad

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #1072 on: August 29, 2014, 06:02:05 PM »
I think the "myriad [of]" question falls under what Fowler called cast-iron idiom. Idioms often make no logical sense.

With regard to the specifics, "I ate all the apples" and "I ate all of the apples" are both good English. Whether you write "the car needs washing" or "the car needs washed" depends on where you're from; logic would produce neither of those, but "the car needs to be washed."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

daen

« Reply #1073 on: August 29, 2014, 06:41:20 PM »
Yup, sweet things are 'girly', red meat is 'manly' and so on. There's a dark chocolate version of Pocky that's marketed as 'Men's Pocky' in Japan, because over there guys really aren't supposed to like sweet things. ::) :P

One day my dad came home from work with a big bag of dark chocolate and a look of total confusion. He had grabbed the bag to share, but one of the other men had said that "men don't eat dark chocolate". None of the other guys would touch it after that, it was just my dad and the womenfolk. We still tease him about how we can't share our dark chocolate with him 'cause he's a guy and they don't eat dark chocolate don'tcha know*. ;D

That's weird. My dad loves dark chocolate. And he's a man, so ... ??? I wonder who thought up that "rule."  ::)

Maybe a woman who didn't want to share her dark chocolate with a male chauvinist?

Heh. I visited the Stollwerck Chocolate Museum in Cologne (I think), and in one room they were running TV ads from various decades for their products. The ones from the 80s-early 90s for Schwarzen Herren-Schokolade (Dark/Black Men's Chocolate) were hilarious. The tag line, translated was "Dark Men's Chocolate - are you man enough?"

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #1074 on: August 29, 2014, 07:52:55 PM »

Ditto the Good Ethnic Boy. He's very definitely a man, and if he eats something, by definition it's something men eat! :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Jocelyn

« Reply #1075 on: August 29, 2014, 08:32:19 PM »
I think those fellows have heard that dark chocolate supposedly boosts estrogen, so they're assuming it shouldn't be eaten by men.

Sirius

« Reply #1076 on: August 29, 2014, 09:38:08 PM »
I sidestep the whole myriad/myriad of issue by saying "I've got umpteen jillion books."

Thipu1

« Reply #1077 on: August 30, 2014, 08:12:01 AM »
I think those fellows have heard that dark chocolate supposedly boosts estrogen, so they're assuming it shouldn't be eaten by men.

I don't know if it's even still made but, back in the 1970s, there was a brand of very dark, almost bitter chocolate.  It was sold in the UK as 'Sporting and Military Chocolate'.  That description always fascinated me.

Twik

« Reply #1078 on: August 30, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »
I sidestep the whole myriad/myriad of issue by saying "I've got umpteen jillion books."

Or plethora. You can say you have a plethora of them.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #1079 on: August 30, 2014, 08:14:05 PM »
And most of these people also seem to believe that gender roles have remained immutable throughout time and culture. I notice that a lot when people nowadays talk about real men not expressing emotion or caring about their appearance. The exact opposite was expected of men in the 17th and 18th centuries. Same with the whole 'pink is for girls blue is for boys' thing...the opposite was true in the Victorian times. But some people really seem to think there are two giant categories labeled Girl and Boy and everything is divided into one or the other. Which also leads to truly bizarre situations like some *food* being coded as 'girly' or 'boyish'...

Yup.  My Papa(my aunt's father, who decided my mother, and therefore I, were his too.) showed me how to do a knit cast on that four women in the family had failed to help me with (they tried! It was a confusing book). Then he started talking about learning to knit... In the trenches of ww2.

He was a masterful knitter and made primarily dishcloths in his later years because they were easier on his eyes, but in his youth made a beautiful lace bedspread(that my aunt had BETTER leave me when she passes, it was willed to me, but the shawl he willed to her was stolen by another aunt). No can say papa wasn't 100% man! even when he was making pink dish soap aprons. (I have an apron at least. It's so frilly and foofy!)