News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 24, 2017, 04:26:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Captain Know-It-All stories  (Read 411649 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
Re: Captain Know-It-All stories
« Reply #1080 on: August 29, 2014, 12:23:17 AM »
As an aside, you know what I've been told when talking about astronomical things?  "You're a girl - how do you know that?"  I was helping out a friend who had his telescopes set up for a church Youth Night, and he'd asked me to help answer questions, etc.  I was explaining what one of the telescopes was focused on (the half Moon) and that the boundary between light and dark was called the "terminator."  I heard all kinds of remarks about how I shouldn't know things like that since I'm a girl.  (I was in my 30s, so I wasn't exactly a 'girl' at the time.)  Had news for them - I'd probably been interested in astronomy longer than most of those teenaged guys had been alive.

I cannot stand gendered expectations and prejudices!!! "You can't know that, you're a guuuuuurl!" "You shouldn't like that, you're a booooyyyy!" Aaaaugh!!!

I like a bunch of 'girly' things. I also like a bunch of 'boyish' things. The looks I've gotten in the past when I've walked up to a shop counter to buy a knitting magazine, a patchwork magazine, and three different console gaming magazines range from startled to aghast to offended. And then there's the comments! One guy online was thanking me for explaining something to him in-game, I typed something that revealed my gender, and he told me "Oh. I wouldn't have asked you if I'd known you were a girl." Then he was surprised that I took offence! *grump* >:(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Allyson

« Reply #1081 on: August 29, 2014, 01:25:10 AM »
And most of these people also seem to believe that gender roles have remained immutable throughout time and culture. I notice that a lot when people nowadays talk about real men not expressing emotion or caring about their appearance. The exact opposite was expected of men in the 17th and 18th centuries. Same with the whole 'pink is for girls blue is for boys' thing...the opposite was true in the Victorian times. But some people really seem to think there are two giant categories labeled Girl and Boy and everything is divided into one or the other. Which also leads to truly bizarre situations like some *food* being coded as 'girly' or 'boyish'...

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #1082 on: August 29, 2014, 02:57:09 AM »
Yup, sweet things are 'girly', red meat is 'manly' and so on. There's a dark chocolate version of Pocky that's marketed as 'Men's Pocky' in Japan, because over there guys really aren't supposed to like sweet things. ::) :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

parrot_girl

« Reply #1083 on: August 29, 2014, 04:12:19 AM »
Ghost in the Little House is great, but it's also very specifically slanted. The good thing is, you get chunks of Rose's diary. But Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder is also a good resource. And yes, I've done a bunch of critical work comparing Laura's originals and Rose's edits on sections with specific political ideology (namely, The Fourth of July scenes), and the differences are amazing. Also, blind Mary as portrayed in Laura's originals is not the passive, quiet, beatific Victorian maiden in the LH books. Pa was often out to pull one over on the government and wasn't above a little lyin' and cheatin'. And Ma was good for a couple zingers. (I always think of the "They that dance must pay the fiddler" comment about Laura's pregnancy in the First Four Years.) In fact need to get my hands on a non-Roger MacBride-edited First Four Years. THAT would be amazing.

I'm also curious how much editing they've done on the Pioneer Girl mss. I'm so excited about that I could slap Nellie Oleson!

See? I told you I was a CKIA.
There's a scene in By the Shores of Silver Lake, I think, where Aunt Docia and Uncle Whatsisname and Cousin Lena are stealing supplies from the railroad company. And it's presented as all right because the railroad didn't pay Uncle enough.

I remember that, because Aunt Docia saying that her husband 'worked like a nailer' for the railroad.  I'm pretty sure the original text didn't use 'nailer' but an extremely offensive racial slur that would have pretty commonplace back then.
Both on topic and related to this tangent- I thought you would appreciate a link to a letter from Rose to Laura about By the Shores of Silver Lake.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2014/04/21/rose_wilder_lane_laura_ingalls_wilder_a_letter_from_their_editorial_collaboration.html

It talks about that very scene (Rose was against putting it in). On the Captain Know-It-All front, Rose smugly assures Laura that men working on the railroad in a very isolated environment would have posed no sexual threat whatsoever to Ma and the girls, dismissing Laura's first-hand evidence!!!
I always wonder if Laura managed to get that scene in about the thirteen year old daughter of the laundress getting married, just to show that yes, there was a threat. Poor thirteen year old. I hope she didn't die in childbirth. :(
(and I am totally pre-ordering Pioneer Girl! Squee!)

z_squared82

« Reply #1084 on: August 29, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »
Well, now I just need to go reread all the Little House on the Prairie books.  ;D

On the CKIA front, I used to work with a man who was, what I call, a friend adjacent. We weren't friend but we had a lot of friends in common. The very first night I ever met him the first thing he does is pick a grammar fight. About the word "myriad". Now, myriad can mean both "10,000" or "a great number of". But he was convinced that anyone who said/wrote "a myriad of" was a complete imbecile because you would never say "a 10,000 of". Because the other definition was a dang dirty lie? And now amount of Merriam-Webster would convince him he was wrong.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #1085 on: August 29, 2014, 09:14:27 AM »
Well, he was right. "A myriad of" something is as right as "irregardless" is -- it's only considered acceptable because it's been used so darn much,  not because it's correct.

z_squared82

« Reply #1086 on: August 29, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »
Well, he was right. "A myriad of" something is as right as "irregardless" is -- it's only considered acceptable because it's been used so darn much,  not because it's correct.

No, he's not. Merriam Webster lists "an infinite number of" as a legitimate definition of myriad. It is a meaning that he refused to accept b/c he's a egomaniac. "Irregardless" is in the dictionary to tell you it's nonstandard usage of regardless, complete with star to tell your it's an Americanism.

I just looked it up. Again.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1087 on: August 29, 2014, 09:47:27 AM »

No, he's not. Merriam Webster lists "an infinite number of" as a legitimate definition of myriad. It is a meaning that he refused to accept b/c he's a egomaniac. "Irregardless" is in the dictionary to tell you it's nonstandard usage of regardless, complete with star to tell your it's an Americanism.

I think what jmarvellous was saying is that "a myriad of" is wrong. You'd say "myriad shoes," not "a myriad of shoes," because that's redundant.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Kariachi

« Reply #1088 on: August 29, 2014, 09:48:15 AM »
Yup, sweet things are 'girly', red meat is 'manly' and so on. There's a dark chocolate version of Pocky that's marketed as 'Men's Pocky' in Japan, because over there guys really aren't supposed to like sweet things. ::) :P

One day my dad came home from work with a big bag of dark chocolate and a look of total confusion. He had grabbed the bag to share, but one of the other men had said that "men don't eat dark chocolate". None of the other guys would touch it after that, it was just my dad and the womenfolk. We still tease him about how we can't share our dark chocolate with him 'cause he's a guy and they don't eat dark chocolate don'tcha know*. ;D

*yes we still share the chocolate, it's a family thing
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #1089 on: August 29, 2014, 09:50:49 AM »

One day my dad came home from work with a big bag of dark chocolate and a look of total confusion. He had grabbed the bag to share, but one of the other men had said that "men don't eat dark chocolate". None of the other guys would touch it after that, it was just my dad and the womenfolk. We still tease him about how we can't share our dark chocolate with him 'cause he's a guy and they don't eat dark chocolate don'tcha know*. ;D

*yes we still share the chocolate, it's a family thing

That's weird. My dad loves dark chocolate. And he's a man, so ... ??? I wonder who thought up that "rule."  ::)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #1090 on: August 29, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »

See, I read that and note that if the definition of the word includes "of" then you don't need to say "of" afterward. "A an infinite number of of things" is practically nonsense; "An infinite number of" things makes sense, though.

However, I concede that plenty of people use the noun form, and it's perfectly obvious what they're referring to. Just because some (I) see it as excessive doesn't mean it's blatantly wrong, merely wrong as the common, American English adjectival form.

It's a matter of whether you want to use 3 words when 1 will do; as a newspaper editor, I always changed it. The AP Stylebook specifically says not to use "of."

(Side note: My M-W dictionary does not include the "of" bit, and certainly does not say "infinite"; it merely says "a great number". It does note that the noun usage is archaic but not incorrect.)

Shalamar

« Reply #1091 on: August 29, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »
On a related note to the "girls don't like (whatever)":  my daughter was in HMV (a Canadian store that sells CDs, DVDs, and movie/TV-related paraphernalia).  An employee asked her to fill out a customer satisfaction survey.  She said "Well, to be honest, one thing you could definitely do to get more of my money is stock more women's sizes for Marvel clothes."  The guy mused "You know, you're not the first woman to tell me that." 

gramma dishes

« Reply #1092 on: August 29, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »
I get the impression that whether or not the word "of" is appropriate to use with myriad depends on whether you're using the word as a noun or an adjective.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myriad

Twik

« Reply #1093 on: August 29, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »
If Thoreau writes "a myriad of" who am I to disagree?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

gramma dishes

« Reply #1094 on: August 29, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »
If Thoreau writes "a myriad of" who am I to disagree?

I use the word myriad with the 'of' frequently and to be honest was quite surprised to learn that it was used any other way! 

I also had no idea it was ever used to indicate the specific number 10,000.  I really do think Ehell is a great source for continuing education!   :)