Author Topic: Captain Know-It-All stories  (Read 146208 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Captian Know-It-All stories
« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »
My understanding on the lens bit is that it's projected upside-down on your retina, and the brain automatically flips it over for you.  I seem to recall reading (YEARS ago, so I've got no citations, alas) about studies where they fitted people with glasses that flipped the image rightside-up onto the retina, and the brain went through a period of learning to recompensate the perception.  So, for a while, they all perceived the world as upside-down until their brains figured out what was going on and reoriented.  The brain is awesome, yo.

As for colorblindness, the spectra for all three versions have been worked out.  I'm not sure if it's from study of the cone interactions, empirical studies of colorblind individuals, or a combination of both, but there are very clearly defined color perceptions associated with colorblindness.

I actually did some research on colorblindness a while back, as there's a 25% chance that I'm a carrier.  I learned that there are in fact two different kinds of red-green colorblindness, depending on whether the individual is missing the green or red cones, and that both are gender-linked.  Blue-yellow is rarer and not gender-linked.

Yes! I remember that study with the upside down glasses. We watched a thing about it in grade school. It blew my mind. I've always wanted to try it.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2010, 11:46:27 AM »
Philip K wingadingdingy

;D ;D ;D

The forum filter is always fun- I once gave a recipie in which I told people to wingadingdingy the pastry all over with a fork!

Wow...I never realized this was a filter thing. Now I know why people refer to Mr. Van Dyke as "Wingadingdingy Van Dyke." It always makes me laugh!  ;D

It took me a while to realize which things were forum filters and which were just eHell. There are still times when I wonder if people are saying crud monkeys or if it's the filter.

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #167 on: December 01, 2010, 12:10:52 PM »
sorry o/t but I just had to comment on Fiver's tag line "If you knit a man a Doctor Who scarf, he'll wear it once or twice. If you teach a man to knit his own damned 12 foot scarf, he'll never take it off!"  I did knit my husband a Dr Who scarf and it's now sitting up the top of the wardrobe because he changed jobs and now drives to work. ::)

now to continue with previous service.....

Ya see! You've got to make them knit it themselves! My DH wears his all the time. I think he'll stop in the summer, though. It's a hot 12 foot scarf!

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette
« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2010, 12:48:47 PM »
Philip K wingadingdingy

;D ;D ;D

The forum filter is always fun- I once gave a recipie in which I told people to wingadingdingy the pastry all over with a fork!

Wow...I never realized this was a filter thing. Now I know why people refer to Mr. Van Dyke as "Wingadingdingy Van Dyke." It always makes me laugh!  ;D

It took me a while to realize which things were forum filters and which were just eHell. There are still times when I wonder if people are saying crud monkeys or if it's the filter.

Oh- I now say Crud Monkeys here and in real life  :)

I find anything with primates and monkeys fairly amusing anyway! ;D

Kasia_Kiwi

• Yarn for the Road
« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2010, 12:59:38 PM »
My father and uncle are both KIA's who know-not-so-much but my dad is the winner. However, get the two of them in the same room and you're in for one loud ride. It is probably important to mention that they are brothers, my father is the younger.

My uncle has been into computers since they were new, my dad still doesn't know how to perform basic functions, let alone write/speak/read English well. Who do you think claims to know more about computers? If you guessed my dad, then you win a cookie. What makes my dad a CKIA is that he will proceed to yell at my uncle/anyone for hours about how he is right and there are no two ways about it. The female portion of the family rolls their eyes and run to the other side of the house (they're so loud you can hear them outside).

He will do this to anyone else he thinks is wrong, including me. And he does not argue, he merely yells the same thing over and over again (wording slightly different). And if you try and leave, he will follow you around, telling you why he is right and you're not. He will dismiss all counter-arguments, proof and reasoning.

Avoidance does not work. He will be silent for a while and then come back to where you are, and start his lecture all over again. I have been wrong/stupid/too young and female to understand for 21 years.
Read about my time in scotland: http://yarnfortheroad.wordpress.com/

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »

<snip>
Yeah, but wouldn't you/they figure it out if you said 'point to the sky' and they pointed at the ground?

Like with colorblindness, show a person flashcards with colors on it and eventually, you will be able to 'map' their color perceptions, even if you can't see it and they can't describe it.

(I played this game with my colorblind brother ages ago. I'd show him my green shirt and ask him what color it was, etc.)

What we'll never know is if my yellow is your purple, as long as it's absolutely consistent across all colors.

One of my favorite lectures in college was Edwin Land (of Polaroid Land Camera fame) talking about color and perception. He projected a prismatic spectrum onto a whiteboard with a bunch of transparent overlays on top and asked people to come up and draw the outline of what they could see, and then put them all together. There was a huge variation in how far people could see into one end of the spectrum or the other. Really remarkable.

When my sis started dating now-BIL, he was in the military.  Nice-looking young man, except that he had the most horrendous taste in colors.  One shirt he wore frequently was chartreuse, but at least he wore it with jeans, so it wasn't too hard to take.  Then he told us he was color-blind, so sis started helping him match colors, and after that he wasn't so jarring to look at.  At least, being in the military, he always looked right for work.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »

<snip>
Yeah, but wouldn't you/they figure it out if you said 'point to the sky' and they pointed at the ground?

Like with colorblindness, show a person flashcards with colors on it and eventually, you will be able to 'map' their color perceptions, even if you can't see it and they can't describe it.

(I played this game with my colorblind brother ages ago. I'd show him my green shirt and ask him what color it was, etc.)

What we'll never know is if my yellow is your purple, as long as it's absolutely consistent across all colors.

One of my favorite lectures in college was Edwin Land (of Polaroid Land Camera fame) talking about color and perception. He projected a prismatic spectrum onto a whiteboard with a bunch of transparent overlays on top and asked people to come up and draw the outline of what they could see, and then put them all together. There was a huge variation in how far people could see into one end of the spectrum or the other. Really remarkable.

When my sis started dating now-BIL, he was in the military.  Nice-looking young man, except that he had the most horrendous taste in colors.  One shirt he wore frequently was chartreuse, but at least he wore it with jeans, so it wasn't too hard to take.  Then he told us he was color-blind, so sis started helping him match colors, and after that he wasn't so jarring to look at.  At least, being in the military, he always looked right for work.

My SIL has color-coded my bro's wardrobe for his professional life. It was one of his most disappointing moments when he realised his red-green colorblindness prevented him from ever becoming an airforce pilot (tho he did get his private pilot's license eventually).

NutMeg

« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2010, 02:05:23 PM »
Hah! I'm wondering if any of you felt the world come to an end last night, because with the conversation SO and I had, nothing else makes sense.

BG: There is a building being constructed across the road from us, and they start at 7:30 every morning.

SO and I are lying in bed falling asleep. Note that before I initiated this conversation I was venting an entire leg and most of my torso.
Me: SO, do you mind if I open the window?
SO, barely conscious: I really don't like waking up to the construction noise.
Me: Well I'm really overheated, it would be nice to have a breeze.
SO: You're only hot because of me.
Me: Oh my god, I think the world just ended. Did we switch roles or something?
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »

I am rolling NutMeg!

Please please please tell me you suggested he vent a toe.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
I once dated a guy who insisted that 'if you are on a diet, you are supposed to be hungry.'  Also, being on a diet meant you ONLY ate carrots and celery.  Being hungry and cranky and light-headed was a standard normal feeling, and just give it some time, and you'd adjust.  Dieting = pain and discomfort in his world.

He also turned into the Food Police if any female mentioned she was on a diet.  To the point where he would take food out of someone's hand.  Dieting meant you starved yourself.

My ex husband was also a CKIA.  He told me I always overcooked the chicken (until it's not pink) and undercooked the pork (some pink).  See, chicken was supposed to be pink and ham should have none, ever.  The cookbooks are all wrong. 
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2010, 02:46:09 PM »
As for colorblindness, the spectra for all three versions have been worked out.  I'm not sure if it's from study of the cone interactions, empirical studies of colorblind individuals, or a combination of both, but there are very clearly defined color perceptions associated with colorblindness.

I actually did some research on colorblindness a while back, as there's a 25% chance that I'm a carrier.  I learned that there are in fact two different kinds of red-green colorblindness, depending on whether the individual is missing the green or red cones, and that both are gender-linked.  Blue-yellow is rarer and not gender-linked.
There is also acquired color-blindness resulting from head injury.  SIL had a severe head injury as a young child, and has been gradually losing his ability to see colors ever since.  Yellow went first, blue last, so that he is now monochromatic color-blind.  His eyes can still see them, but his brain can't process them.  It still trips me up on occasion; once I asked him what the different colors on a video game meant.  "The dark ones are X, the light ones are Y, and the bright ones are Z."  Corresponding to black, white, and red. 

It's sad, because he can't play games like Uno. :( 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

magician5

« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2010, 03:10:30 PM »
but my friend says she got distracted about arguing how a volcano exploding could not possibly have caused Atlantis to sink below the earth's crust.

Okay, you are so DUMB! I know a volcano sank Atlantis because I've seen it in movies a zillion times! Don't you know ANYTHING?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:54:38 PM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »

There is also acquired color-blindness resulting from head injury.  SIL had a severe head injury as a young child, and has been gradually losing his ability to see colors ever since.  Yellow went first, blue last, so that he is now monochromatic color-blind.  His eyes can still see them, but his brain can't process them.  It still trips me up on occasion; once I asked him what the different colors on a video game meant.  "The dark ones are X, the light ones are Y, and the bright ones are Z."  Corresponding to black, white, and red. 

It's sad, because he can't play games like Uno. :( 

Hm, I wonder if this is like what happened to a friend of mine... he told me he had faded to colorblind but "sometimes purple still pops up."

(Cue me trying to puzzle out how to explain boss fights in World of Warcraft without using color (Putricide for those in the know), but we got it sorted).

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2010, 04:48:42 PM »
Hah! I'm wondering if any of you felt the world come to an end last night, because with the conversation SO and I had, nothing else makes sense.

BG: There is a building being constructed across the road from us, and they start at 7:30 every morning.

SO and I are lying in bed falling asleep. Note that before I initiated this conversation I was venting an entire leg and most of my torso.
Me: SO, do you mind if I open the window?
SO, barely conscious: I really don't like waking up to the construction noise.
Me: Well I'm really overheated, it would be nice to have a breeze.
SO: You're only hot because of me.
Me: Oh my god, I think the world just ended. Did we switch roles or something?

He just needs to vent a toe!
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

NutMeg

« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2010, 06:32:38 PM »
I was so flaberghasted that I didn't think of taking the snark to that level. I'm pretty sure he was already venting a toe though. He's pretty consistent about that.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson