Author Topic: Captain Know-It-All stories  (Read 145163 times)

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
Re: Captian Know-It-All stories
« Reply #195 on: December 02, 2010, 10:22:49 AM »
I've never heard of stroking their cheeks making them trance. I know my rabbits enjoy that very much and will purr.

Rabbits purr?  Like cats?  I didn't know that.  Are there other animals besides cats that purr?

B
Rabbits purr with their jaws. When they are happy about something, they sort of grind their teeth together to make a noise that sounds like purring. It isn't exactly like a cat, which, I believe, purrs from their chest (?).
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Corbin

« Reply #196 on: December 02, 2010, 10:23:26 AM »
I once dated a guy who insisted that 'if you are on a diet, you are supposed to be hungry.'  Also, being on a diet meant you ONLY ate carrots and celery.  Being hungry and cranky and light-headed was a standard normal feeling, and just give it some time, and you'd adjust.  Dieting = pain and discomfort in his world.

He also turned into the Food Police if any female mentioned she was on a diet.  To the point where he would take food out of someone's hand.  Dieting meant you starved yourself.

So when was he appointed High Captain and Arbiter of Other People's Choices and Bodies?  If somebody grabbed food out of my hand on the grounds that I was dieting, I would probably end up in EHell.  What, are women all naive children who need to be actively managed for their own safety?

As a long-term Weight Watcher, I have found that very bad things happen when I let myself get hungry. If he had taken my food he may have found me gnawing on his arm...
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #197 on: December 02, 2010, 10:47:29 AM »
I've never heard of stroking their cheeks making them trance. I know my rabbits enjoy that very much and will purr.

Rabbits purr?  Like cats?  I didn't know that.  Are there other animals besides cats that purr?

B
Rabbits purr with their jaws. When they are happy about something, they sort of grind their teeth together to make a noise that sounds like purring. It isn't exactly like a cat, which, I believe, purrs from their chest (?).
There's debate about whether it's from the chest or the vocal cords.  I lean towards the vocal cords, based on Willow's disability.  She has some sort of vocal cord problem; she cannot mew properly and basically squeaks instead.  And she cannot sustain a continuous purr.  She purrs only while breathing out, so that she sounds rather like a dove cooing. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2010, 10:52:09 AM »
I am a real pain in the rear because whenever a KIA says something really wrong. I say something about 'I don't think that is quite right' and look it up on the computer or my innumerable resource books I have around. I win! My friends say, "Uh-oh. Here goes Lucy again." I don't even get offended, because I'm usually correct. I am really awful about forwarding Snopes info to people who send weird misinformation. I am respected sometimes, and sometimes I notice those folks don't send me crap anymore. WIN!

Once I heard something about cashews, I looked it up before I argued, the speaker was correct, so all I to say was, "Gosh, Jim! Thanks." That one stands out. There are of course many other instances like that, because,sadly, I don't know eveything.

I'm kind of the same way; I have this compulsion to prove the  CKIA's are wrong.  I dont' know why, but it just irks me when someone spouts off and goes on and on about something I KNOW is incorrect.  I'm working on it though :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2010, 10:55:38 AM »
I always found it quite amusing that I was gifted student & knew everything according to my my mother only IN school, the second I set foot out of the school grounds I didn't know one.single.thing.

You too, huh? My parents were always trotting out the tale of [Friend's] relative, who had all sorts of degrees but "literally couldn't cross the street by himself."  ::) I've talked to a lot of other people who were smart kids, and I now suspect Friend's relative at least managed to locate a cloning laboratory, the better to send copies of himself around the country to be used as a cautionary tale for bookish children!

I'm acquainted with some of these as well.  VERY smart, some brilliant, but I alwasy say couldn't find their way out of a paper bag if their life depended on it. I like to think they are so smart because they spend all their time learning, and not enough on the day to day stuff.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2010, 11:30:12 AM »
I once had an argument about blood types with a co-worker.

I have a negative blood type. DH has a positive blood type. Should we have children, that means I must get one of those rhogam shots to prevent my blood from forming antibodies against an rh+ fetus. I even had pamphlets from my ladybits doctor explaining this in great detail.

My co-worker tried to argue with me that you only needed that shot if the father is of a negative blood type, not the mother. She kept saying "you only need to get that shot if the father has a negative blood type! the mother's blood type doesn't matter at all since a woman's body automatically knows not to harm the baby!" She would not listen to me, even after I handed her the pamphlets from my doctor explaining the blood type factor and who needs to get the shot. She said "No, see, that's wrong..I'll google it and prove it to you!"

so she gets online, googles it..gets very quiet...and says "oh. wikipedia says that you do get the shot if you're the mother and have a negative blood type..so you were right, I guess."

She wouldn't believe medical literature directly from my doctor's office, but wikipedia proves everything.  ::)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »
I pointed out that one cannot testify in court based on someone else's testimony, because that's called hearsay. He said, "Not if the person who told me was a creditable [sic] witness!  I should know, because I've taken pre-law, and you're just wrong!"

I finished college in 1993. I guess the class offering of "Pre-Law 101" was after that.

I was wondering about that myself. Is this fellow from the U.S.? Because there is no "pre-law" course or curriculum. A pre-law student is simply an undergraduate who is planning to go on to law school after getting his/her bachelor's degree.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2010, 12:41:08 PM »
Stroking a rabbit's cheeks can indeed help it trance.  Some bunnies hate to be turned on their backs, some will obligingly turn over for you and promptly fall asleep.

I did have a CKIA tell me that it is impossible to litter-train rabbits.  I told him I hoped no-one told my two that - if they found out they didn't have to use their litter trays any more we'd be in a horrible mess.

Jess13

« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »
I pointed out that one cannot testify in court based on someone else's testimony, because that's called hearsay. He said, "Not if the person who told me was a creditable [sic] witness!  I should know, because I've taken pre-law, and you're just wrong!"

I finished college in 1993. I guess the class offering of "Pre-Law 101" was after that.

I was wondering about that myself. Is this fellow from the U.S.? Because there is no "pre-law" course or curriculum. A pre-law student is simply an undergraduate who is planning to go on to law school after getting his/her bachelor's degree.

There was a specific course load to take at my school if you were pre-law, that included some of the Criminal Justice classes I took for my minor, but not as many as if you were majoring in it.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2010, 01:43:48 PM »
Stroking a rabbit's cheeks can indeed help it trance.  Some bunnies hate to be turned on their backs, some will obligingly turn over for you and promptly fall asleep.

I did have a CKIA tell me that it is impossible to litter-train rabbits.  I told him I hoped no-one told my two that - if they found out they didn't have to use their litter trays any more we'd be in a horrible mess.

Hee hee! That's pretty funny!

Ferrets will trance out, too; but you have to be careful doing it. Our old vet showed me how. It makes cutting their nails soooo much easier.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
Stroking a rabbit's cheeks can indeed help it trance. 
Well, I know what I'm doing tonight! Bwahaha!

I had a vet tell me this once. It's how I knew he wasn't going to be my bunnies' vet.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2010, 02:06:16 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, our guinea pigs would make trilling noises when they were being petted, but I wouldn't call it purring.  

This is from Wikipedia:  
Unlike "true" big cats, the cheetah can purr as it inhales, but cannot roar. By contrast, the big cats can roar but cannot purr, except while exhaling. 

I thought this was interesting, as I'd always believed cheetahs didn't purr since they're somewhat atypical members of the cat family.

faithlessone

« Reply #207 on: December 02, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »
I once had an argument about blood types with a co-worker.

I have a negative blood type. DH has a positive blood type. Should we have children, that means I must get one of those rhogam shots to prevent my blood from forming antibodies against an rh+ fetus. I even had pamphlets from my ladybits doctor explaining this in great detail.

My co-worker tried to argue with me that you only needed that shot if the father is of a negative blood type, not the mother. She kept saying "you only need to get that shot if the father has a negative blood type! the mother's blood type doesn't matter at all since a woman's body automatically knows not to harm the baby!" She would not listen to me, even after I handed her the pamphlets from my doctor explaining the blood type factor and who needs to get the shot. She said "No, see, that's wrong..I'll google it and prove it to you!"

so she gets online, googles it..gets very quiet...and says "oh. wikipedia says that you do get the shot if you're the mother and have a negative blood type..so you were right, I guess."

She wouldn't believe medical literature directly from my doctor's office, but wikipedia proves everything.  ::)

I've had that same argument with two separate friends. :)

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #208 on: December 02, 2010, 03:28:39 PM »
Ferrets will trance out, too; but you have to be careful doing it.

So true: I just hate it when people are careless and poke me in the eye... ;)

Shea

« Reply #209 on: December 02, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »
Chickens will go into a trance if you hold them upside down by their feet (which isn't terribly nice, but is an effective way to recapture them if they've escaped their run and are heading for the bear-and-raccoon-infested hills. Yeah, been there). They'll also get kind of hypnotized if you flip them on their backs and stroke them. Usually only works with hand-raised, tame chickens, because ones that aren't used to being handled tend to just freak out.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.