Author Topic: Captain Know-It-All stories  (Read 145109 times)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
Re: Captian Know-It-All stories
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2010, 04:08:33 PM »
I once had an argument about blood types with a co-worker.

I have a negative blood type. DH has a positive blood type. Should we have children, that means I must get one of those rhogam shots to prevent my blood from forming antibodies against an rh+ fetus. I even had pamphlets from my ladybits doctor explaining this in great detail.

My co-worker tried to argue with me that you only needed that shot if the father is of a negative blood type, not the mother. She kept saying "you only need to get that shot if the father has a negative blood type! the mother's blood type doesn't matter at all since a woman's body automatically knows not to harm the baby!" She would not listen to me, even after I handed her the pamphlets from my doctor explaining the blood type factor and who needs to get the shot. She said "No, see, that's wrong..I'll google it and prove it to you!"

so she gets online, googles it..gets very quiet...and says "oh. wikipedia says that you do get the shot if you're the mother and have a negative blood type..so you were right, I guess."

She wouldn't believe medical literature directly from my doctor's office, but wikipedia proves everything.  ::)

I've had that same argument with two separate friends. :)

It's mind boggling to me that she was willing to argue so much about it. "the mother's body knows not to harm the baby!" yeah, sure..tell that to my great-aunt, who had a negative blood type, and gave birth to a seriously brain damaged baby who didn't survive childhood because the rhogam shot wasn't available yet.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »
Ferrets will trance out, too; but you have to be careful doing it.

So true: I just hate it when people are careless and poke me in the eye... ;)

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

jmarvellous

« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »
My favorite know-it-all was my neighbor growing up. He insisted that "based on a true story" meant that the movie was nonfiction ... and that therefore Tom Hanks, star of "Apollo 13" had been in space, to cite one example.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »
My favorite know-it-all was my neighbor growing up. He insisted that "based on a true story" meant that the movie was nonfiction ... and that therefore Tom Hanks, star of "Apollo 13" had been in space, to cite one example.

to me "based on a true story" usually means that they got the names right.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2010, 05:14:27 PM »
I remember when the grandmother of a friend, when DS1 was only about a month old, told me that his head was oddly shaped and since he was still young enough, I could rub baby oil over his head and using firm pillows and blankets, shape his head properly.  

Oh and because she was a career nurse, I was to believe that her advice was solid.  Errr..okay.  I never did it, just did the smile and nod thing.   Well that same child is now 9 and a half and his head managed to form itself into a proper shape on its own, thank you!  

Another guy, when I was pregnant with DS1, said we had to get rid of our cats because of that old myth that cats will steal a baby's breath by putting their noses near the baby's face and breathing.   And if we didn't get rid of our cats, we would be horrible parents.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jocelyn

« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2010, 05:26:27 PM »
People told her this would affect the resale value, but a. she said it's MY house now, and I want it so I can live here b. she's in an over 55 community, so chances are, someone else may find her mods just what they need or want!  
My parents saw a condo they liked, but it was being built with a tub in each bathroom. Finally, at my urging, they asked the builder if he would consider putting a shower stall in one of the bathrooms, one of the stalls that's the same size as a tub, with shower seat at the far end, because elderly people have less trouble getting into showers than into tub/shower combos. The builder thought it was a great idea, and not only modified the unit under construction where they wanted to live, he modified several other units. The units were built entirely without steps, and he was already thinking they'd appeal to elderly people, but he hadn't really thought about bathrooms. And considering that I've lived in my home 6 years now, and I don't think I've taken a tub bath yet, there's certainly lots of people who wouldn't find having a big shower stall instead of a tub to be a problem.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2010, 06:16:29 PM »
People told her this would affect the resale value, but a. she said it's MY house now, and I want it so I can live here b. she's in an over 55 community, so chances are, someone else may find her mods just what they need or want!  
My parents saw a condo they liked, but it was being built with a tub in each bathroom. Finally, at my urging, they asked the builder if he would consider putting a shower stall in one of the bathrooms, one of the stalls that's the same size as a tub, with shower seat at the far end, because elderly people have less trouble getting into showers than into tub/shower combos. The builder thought it was a great idea, and not only modified the unit under construction where they wanted to live, he modified several other units. The units were built entirely without steps, and he was already thinking they'd appeal to elderly people, but he hadn't really thought about bathrooms. And considering that I've lived in my home 6 years now, and I don't think I've taken a tub bath yet, there's certainly lots of people who wouldn't find having a big shower stall instead of a tub to be a problem.

Having a large shower with a built-in seat is one of my dreams, I can't believe this isn't standard. I don't even have any mobility issues, and it makes so much more sense than perching on the narrow, slippery edge of the tub, getting water on the floor, when you shave your legs.

This is one more thing in my list of "you know they were designed by a man"...

Here's another: Toilets. Seriously, all those curves and nooks underneath and behind? Obviously designed by someone who has never cleaned a toilet in his life ;D

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »

Having a large shower with a built-in seat is one of my dreams, I can't believe this isn't standard. I don't even have any mobility issues, and it makes so much more sense than perching on the narrow, slippery edge of the tub, getting water on the floor, when you shave your legs.

This is one more thing in my list of "you know they were designed by a man"...

Here's another: Toilets. Seriously, all those curves and nooks underneath and behind? Obviously designed by someone who has never cleaned a toilet in his life ;D

Amen!  When I lived in a dorm that had a handicapped-accessible shower stall (one of three), I would always use the accessible one when it was available and I had to shave.  And ditto on the toilets.  I HATE cleaning toilets.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2010, 06:24:55 PM »
Bathroom stalls.  Also designed by men.  Worst architecture design *ever*.

Sure, I can get in past the door (which, 85% of the time, opens inward) and stand on the toilet seat so I can close the door again, no problem.  While dodging the tissue dispenser and the trash box.  

(facepalm)

Emma
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #219 on: December 02, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »
Stroking a rabbit's cheeks can indeed help it trance.  Some bunnies hate to be turned on their backs, some will obligingly turn over for you and promptly fall asleep.

I did have a CKIA tell me that it is impossible to litter-train rabbits.  I told him I hoped no-one told my two that - if they found out they didn't have to use their litter trays any more we'd be in a horrible mess.

Hee hee! That's pretty funny!

Ferrets will trance out, too; but you have to be careful doing it. Our old vet showed me how. It makes cutting their nails soooo much easier.
So will canaries, to classical music!  That was how I trimmed my canary's claws, yea many decades ago. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »
My favorite know-it-alls are the ones who try to tell me that my learning disabilities are due to red food coloring or sugar.  Because sugar makes me reverse letters and numbers and red food dye is responsible for bad handwriting.  When I ask for sources, I get referred to sketchy websites.  When I try to explain about genetics (two uncles and one aunt possibly have LDs), I am ignored.  I now know to bean-dip. 
That reminds me of someone who claimed to be an expert in child education and learning difficulties who ran afoul of my mum when I was about 6. ChildExpert told my mum that she was treating a five year oldchild who had difficulty reading apparently because the child hadn't crawled enough when she was a baby. ChildExpert had the child crawl around the table at home repeatedly and apparently this helped her reading skills  ???. My mum piped up that I had never crawled as a child, just sort of gone from sitting to walking in a very short period.

Aha! ChildExpert leapt onto this and said "Oh, she must be a terrible reader then!". My mum politely pointed out that actually I had the highest reading age of all the children in my class and was reading several years above my actual age. ChildExpert was rather put out by that, and insisted I must have some reading problems that my mum was unaware of.

I should mention I was sitting between the two of them during this conversation, merrily reading a Hardy Boys book with no obvious trouble.

She was rude, there does seem to be some type of link.

Parents of kids we suspect of being dyslexic/dysgraphic are asked about crawling/not crawling or crab walking instead of crawling. Along with a bunch of other questions about reponses to lighting situations, colors etc.

I have cross over - I'm not left or right sided. One of the early signs was I didn't crawl but crab walked (Moved same side arm and leg with my rear stuck up in the air), and from the time I started walking till I was part of medical study that included PT I walked with the same pattern.

In 7th grade (12 yo), a student doc noticed my awkward movements during an eye exam. I ended up in the medical study, and got PT as part of it. After the study was over, they recommended I do dance or martial arts. We had a dance team at school and I was in the try out class for 2 years. I know it sound strange but the PT that included mostly gross motor but it helped my hand writing some.

Still I wasn't diagnosed during the study. It was years later in University before I got a full diagnoses.

I wonder if when we learn more about the brain if we will find the Rx dyslexic/Dysgraphic is broadly covering similar symptoms of multiple different causes. My dyslexia and dsygraphia seem to be linked to the whole cross over thing.

My co-worker's daughter's symptoms are more linked to her eye sight and different lighting situations. She doesn't have any cross over symptoms and is actually nationally ranked athlete.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
« Reply #221 on: December 02, 2010, 07:24:16 PM »
A sub-category is people who know you better than you know yourself. 

I'm in a group where by coincidence, we all own houses.  Several of us, including me, just bought our first homes and several are renovating, so we end up talking houses a lot.  This one charming woman has decided that since she's "older" (by 2 years,) she has infinite advice for me.  Every time I mention changing something, like painting walls or upgrading my hot water heater, she tells me I'm going to lower my resale value.  And no, I'm not painting things neon pink.  Even if I was, it's my house and that's kind of the point of having my own place! 

<snip>

Because of my sister's health issues she and her husband decided to build their new house so that it would be easily adaptable for someone using a walker or a wheelchair, e.g. wider doorways, grab bars in the bathrooms, etc.  Practically every builder who worked on her house told her she was lowering the resale value on their house by insisting on the innovations to make it easier to adapt.  She didn't fall for it; she got a copy of the Texas state building codes and studied it, to where she knew it as well as the builder, and whenever they'd tell her they couldn't do something by law she'd look it up, and 99% of the time they didn't know what they were talking about.  In fact, aside from the architect (who thought it was an excellent idea) and the person who put in her tile floors (who also thought it was an excellent idea) everyone else gave her a hard time.  Fortunately she's not one to back down, especially when she's done her homework and knows what she's talking about.  She told the person who put in her kitchen cabinets that if he didn't stop giving her a hard time about following the blueprints she'd fire his bu** and get someone else who would do it the right way.  Then the tile guy got after the cabinet guy, because the tile guy had referred him to Sis, and he felt that the tile guy was making him look bad.  He gave her a hard time about wanting the drawer for the knives to be on her left.  She told him, "I'm left-handed.  That's where I want the knife drawer."  Even after she told him why she wanted the knife drawer on the left he put it on the right, and she made him change it and not charge her for it since it was his mistake.  

She also said that she wasn't worried about resale value since, as she told me, "I'm not leaving that house until I'm carried out feet first."  You know, I'd hate to work for my sister.  Then again, maybe not.

The Husband of the couple I purchased my house from knew he might have to use a wheelchair in the future. There are several modifications including wider doors and lower light switches. The Moving guys and later delivery guys love the wider doors. It took me a week to adjust to the lower switches. The ones at work are lower too (ADA after recent remodeling at school).

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #222 on: December 02, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
kherbert05, that is fascinating! Thank you for posting that!

ETA: specifially post 225, but all your posts are appreciated  :-*

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
« Reply #223 on: December 02, 2010, 08:06:22 PM »

It's kind of like in high school biology class - we were talking about the lenses in the eye, and how they are similar to camera lenses in that each one turns what you see upside down - and so we have to have an even number of lenses so that we can see things right side up.  Someone asked if it's possible for someone to be born with an uneven number, which would make everything they see upside down.  The teacher answered, "I guess it's possible, but we'd have no way of knowing, because they wouldn't know they were seeing upside down."

Some things can drive you nuts if you think about them long enough.

I think I may have misunderstood this. Even number of lenses? I thought humans only had one lens in each eye and that the image on the retina is upside down. But happy to be corrected if I am wrong again.

Maybe that's it - the question was what if someone is born without the lens, or maybe with an extra one.  I don't recall exactly.  The point was that there very well could be people walking around seeing everything upside down, but no one would ever know, because to them, upside down would be "normal." 

I see a variation of this all the time. Kids with very poor eye sight that don't realize it. My Dad didn't realize everyone's heart doesn't beat funny after running till he collapsed during PT and the Marine doctors hit the roof. He had a heart defect that was undiagnosed till that incident.

breny

« Reply #224 on: December 02, 2010, 08:06:58 PM »
what would happen if a mutagen escaped the Base and entered town and made us into Zombies.

I answer questions like this with another question, "What if monkeys flew out of my butt?"