Author Topic: Captain Know-It-All stories  (Read 146092 times)

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
Re: Captian Know-It-All stories
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
My dad belives in conspiracy therioes as well about 9-11. He also belives a certain historical  event didn't happen and its hard to convince him otherwise. My sister and I have been trying for years.

Oh, tell me it's not the moonlanding he doubts...

I was thinking another large historic event.  Relative, I HOPE it's just the moonlanding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

HushHush

« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2010, 04:01:11 PM »
I know some people don't believe Horrible Historic Event didn't happen and it just makes my mind explode trying to understand the logic of why anyone would make it up.

A family friend has very interesting theories about the exsistence of anything outside of whatever space he's occupying.  Like, he doesn't think anything exsists outside his front door until he opens the door and the space is filled with his own expectations his mind fills in.  Facinating guy to talk to but that was a bizarre topic of conversation.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2010, 04:03:26 PM »
I know some people don't believe Horrible Historic Event didn't happen and it just makes my mind explode trying to understand the logic of why anyone would make it up.

A family friend has very interesting theories about the exsistence of anything outside of whatever space he's occupying.  Like, he doesn't think anything exsists outside his front door until he opens the door and the space is filled with his own expectations his mind fills in.  Facinating guy to talk to but that was a bizarre topic of conversation.

Is that similar to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?  (I try desperately hard to understand this, and I do for about a day, but then . . .)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

living in the Mid-West.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2010, 04:10:21 PM »

A family friend has very interesting theories about the exsistence of anything outside of whatever space he's occupying.  Like, he doesn't think anything exsists outside his front door until he opens the door and the space is filled with his own expectations his mind fills in.  Facinating guy to talk to but that was a bizarre topic of conversation.

Is that similar to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?  (I try desperately hard to understand this, and I do for about a day, but then . . .)

Not quite.  Heisenberg is about quantum mechanics: you can either know a particle's location or it's speed.  The more you know about one, the less you know about the other.

It's more like Homer Simpson taking the wine tasting course and forgetting how to drive.  You can know all about the wines in front of you, or you can drive, but not both.

Corbin

« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2010, 04:14:31 PM »

A family friend has very interesting theories about the exsistence of anything outside of whatever space he's occupying.  Like, he doesn't think anything exsists outside his front door until he opens the door and the space is filled with his own expectations his mind fills in.  Facinating guy to talk to but that was a bizarre topic of conversation.

As a teenager on a sugar high I developed a theory that I was actually a fictional charcter who existed only in the mind of my creator and anyone reading her/his book. Because, you know, if I was fictional, how would I KNOW?
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2010, 04:18:47 PM »

Is that true of the people, too?  I mean, that would seem to indicate that *we* don't really exist.

Though I do understand it as a somewhat response to the vastness of the universe (though perhaps slightly narcissistic).  Occasionally when I'm sitting in traffic I'll think about all the people in the cars and how their lives just go on and never touch mine, and how amazing and also scary that is.

Nora

« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2010, 04:19:31 PM »
My dad belives in conspiracy therioes as well about 9-11. He also belives a certain historical  event didn't happen and its hard to convince him otherwise. My sister and I have been trying for years.

I was thinking another large historic event.  Relative, I HOPE it's just the moonlanding.

Oh, tell me it IS the moonlanding he doubts!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »
The younger of Blanche's brothers is a type 2 diabetic and a heavy smoker.  Whenever anyone tries to suggest that he give up smoking for any reason he counters with how smoking is not related to cancer and how if you're going to get cancer you'll get it no matter what you do because cancer is all genetic.  No matter what you tell him about life expectancy after quitting he'll think of something that contradicts it.  He keeps on at this until the other person is weary of the argument.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2010, 04:50:03 PM »
A couple of years ago I stumbled across this video on Fail blog. on Fail blog it's called "conspiracy fail", and now whenever my FIL leaves after talking about bizarre conspiracy theories my DH and I make some kind of reference to all the "low-lying rainbows" his dad was talking about ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3qFdbUEq5s

faithlessone

« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2010, 05:09:24 PM »
As a teenager on a sugar high I developed a theory that I was actually a fictional charcter who existed only in the mind of my creator and anyone reading her/his book. Because, you know, if I was fictional, how would I KNOW?

When I'm tired or a bit spaced out, I sometimes imagine that my whole life is just a dream, and one day, I'm going to wake up, and I'll be an entirely different person. Then I get freaked out, and have to do something to take my mind off it.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2010, 05:12:15 PM »
The younger of Blanche's brothers is a type 2 diabetic and a heavy smoker.  Whenever anyone tries to suggest that he give up smoking for any reason he counters with how smoking is not related to cancer and how if you're going to get cancer you'll get it no matter what you do because cancer is all genetic.  No matter what you tell him about life expectancy after quitting he'll think of something that contradicts it.  He keeps on at this until the other person is weary of the argument.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Well, to a certain extent, he's right.  All cancer is genetic . . . but it's not always inherited.  Every cancer involves some sort of genetic mutation - caused by random chance, a carcinogen, a virus, etc.  Also, I have heard that all adults have had a cancer but that normally one's body is able to remove the cancerous cell(s) before it's a problem.  However, while some mutations just happen outside of our control, the idea is not to induce as few mutations as possible.  So . . . stop smoking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

living in the Mid-West.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »
A couple of years ago I stumbled across this video on Fail blog. on Fail blog it's called "conspiracy fail", and now whenever my FIL leaves after talking about bizarre conspiracy theories my DH and I make some kind of reference to all the "low-lying rainbows" his dad was talking about ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3qFdbUEq5s

Oh my deity... XD That shouldn't be funny, but it is!

The Opinionator

• You keep using that word.
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »

My best friend, who is otherwise an extremely intelligent person(probably one of the most intelligent people I have ever met, actually) truly believes that the moon landing was not real. Because, well, see, if they've done it once, why wouldn't they do it again?  ::)
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2010, 05:58:41 PM »
For those of you who know moon landing doubters, there are satellite photos showing the tracks and debris left on the moon by the astronauts. Although it's very possible that the government faked those, too.  :o

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2010, 06:00:21 PM »

It sounds kind of Heinleinish ... hopefully someone else remembers the people i am talking about. It's completely escaping me.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem