Author Topic: Captain Know-It-All stories  (Read 127858 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Captain Know-It-All stories
« Reply #840 on: March 17, 2013, 01:23:07 AM »
Or when people discuss where they were when JFK was shot.  Or insist you are too young to know of a certain singer/band.   Okay so I was born after the Beatles disbanded, after Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix unfortunately left this world, but my parents had records, alright? 

Heck, I listened to "Pearl" a lot more than they did and knew the words to "Mercedes Benz" by the time I was 9!

For future reference, though, the correct response to "Have you heard of X?" [where X is a famous singer/band the speaker is remembering fondly] is NOT "Ooh, we learned about him/her/them in our music history class!"

Yeah, just saying  :-[  (For what it's worth, I was the youngest one in the car by about twenty years and everyone else thought it was funny except for the woman who had been talking.  Definitely a brain-not-engaged moment!)

Lynn2000

« Reply #841 on: March 20, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »
I witnessed the clash of two CKIAs at work a few years ago. The rest of us suspected that either the two of them would loathe each other, or fall in love. They loathed each other. Thing is, they were both the type who did know stuff, but they either revealed it patronizingly/with shock that you didn't know, or thought that their (perfectly reasonable) way was the only sensible way.  ::)

If either was challenged they were also the type to spend hours looking up proof that they were correct and/or laying out in detail their entire logical thought process, so if you dared to have a different opinion you were bludgeoned into agreeing or at least deferring just to get them to stop talking about it. It was always about completely trivial things, too--they'd come back and be like, "See, Smith WAS the shortstop for the Cardinals in 1985!" and people would be like, "Dude, that conversation was three days ago, and it wasn't important to the story anyway."

And they liked to interrupt casual conversations to correct things--like someone's telling a story about a great baseball play they saw decades ago and they name Jones as the shortstop, who is completely incidental to the story, and CKIA has to interrupt and say, "No, you're wrong, it must have been Smith at that time." 1) Does it matter to the story? 2) Does it matter to the people listening? 3) Is it an appropriate place/time/relationship for you to say something?  ::) It's disheartening when you feel like they just want to poke holes in even casual comments, like they can't listen just for fun or to grasp the underlying meaning.

My dad likes to be CKIA about personal history--the other day he was telling stories about my mom's roommates in college, which were wrong. Drives my mom up the wall. It's not just the story, it's the tone of relating smirky, insidery knowledge... and getting it wrong. Or at least, acting like it's way more important, interesting, and relevant to the audience than it really is.
~Lynn2000

nuit93

« Reply #842 on: March 20, 2013, 12:33:04 PM »
Or when people discuss where they were when JFK was shot.  Or insist you are too young to know of a certain singer/band.   Okay so I was born after the Beatles disbanded, after Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix unfortunately left this world, but my parents had records, alright? 

Heck, I listened to "Pearl" a lot more than they did and knew the words to "Mercedes Benz" by the time I was 9!

For future reference, though, the correct response to "Have you heard of X?" [where X is a famous singer/band the speaker is remembering fondly] is NOT "Ooh, we learned about him/her/them in our music history class!"

Yeah, just saying  :-[  (For what it's worth, I was the youngest one in the car by about twenty years and everyone else thought it was funny except for the woman who had been talking.  Definitely a brain-not-engaged moment!)

Also, "my parents/grandparents were big fans" doesn't help...

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #843 on: March 20, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »
Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but Know it Alls have their own TV show: http://www.discovery.ca/Showpage.aspx?sid=37462

I've actually watched both seasons.  :P

Putting a bunch of CKIA's on teams together is....interesting, to say the least!

crella

« Reply #844 on: March 20, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »

And they liked to interrupt casual conversations to correct things--like someone's telling a story about a great baseball play they saw decades ago and they name Jones as the shortstop, who is completely incidental to the story, and CKIA has to interrupt and say, "No, you're wrong, it must have been Smith at that time." 1) Does it matter to the story? 2) Does it matter to the people listening? 3) Is it an appropriate place/time/relationship for you to say something?  ::) It's disheartening when you feel like they just want to poke holes in even casual comments, like they can't listen just for fun or to grasp the underlying meaning.

People like that make me lose my train of thought. Whatever I was saying gets blown right out of my head, it's pretty aggravating.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #845 on: March 20, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »

People like that make me lose my train of thought. Whatever I was saying gets blown right out of my head, it's pretty aggravating.

My kids do that to me sometimes, or DH.  Like you, my train of thought derails and then they get annoyed that I won't/can't finish the story. Gah!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #846 on: March 21, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »

My kids do that to me sometimes, or DH.  Like you, my train of thought derails and then they get annoyed that I won't/can't finish the story. Gah!
I had a brain injury in the service, which took surgery to repair, and I had to learn to walk, talk, eat, etc. again through years of physical & speech therapy.   It also affected my memory, so if anybody interupts me like that, at best I have to go back to the beginning and start over, or I know what I want to say but can't find the words cause I've been rattled, or usually I lose my train of thought altogether. 
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Addy

« Reply #847 on: March 22, 2013, 02:43:08 AM »
Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but Know it Alls have their own TV show: http://www.discovery.ca/Showpage.aspx?sid=37462

I've actually watched both seasons.  :P

Putting a bunch of CKIA's on teams together is....interesting, to say the least!

Ha! I was thinking about that show too! I have to say that I think the season 2 winner, Andrew, epitomizes the know-it-all, especially with that question about the astronauts.

For those who haven't seen it, Andrew was watching a challenge between two other people, not even taking part in it. The question was "how many men have walked on the moon?" After the question was answered, Andrew said, "actually, that's not true, because of the gravity of the moon, it's impossible to walk on the moon, so the answer is zero." 

I do have to admit to having a huge nerd crush on him, though.  :-[  ;D

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #848 on: March 22, 2013, 03:17:54 AM »
And he wasn't even right...

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #849 on: March 22, 2013, 05:33:02 AM »

Hahaha! I said to my personal trainer (21) that I expected he listened to house music. He protested that he liked "really old classic rock". Apparently Bon Jovi qualifies, and not the early stuff either.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #850 on: March 22, 2013, 08:33:46 AM »

Hahaha! I said to my personal trainer (21) that I expected he listened to house music. He protested that he liked "really old classic rock". Apparently Bon Jovi qualifies, and not the early stuff either.

Given that I realised I've been a Bon Jovi fan for 20 years last summer (seriously, who stole the last two decades?!) I can kinda-sorta-if-I-squint let him off that.

And in a connected note, I was informed by my boss I was too young to like Pink Floyd. Well, sure, I am younger than Dark Side of the Moon, but I'm older than The Wall and they released their last studio album when I was in my mid-teens, so I'm not quite sure on what grounds I'm "too young"...!

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #851 on: March 31, 2013, 06:14:54 PM »
... they'd come back and be like, "See, Smith WAS the shortstop for the Cardinals in 1985!" and people would be like, "Dude, that conversation was three days ago, and it wasn't important to the story anyway."

What???  :o Ozzie Smith, unimportant?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozzie_Smith  >:D
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #852 on: March 31, 2013, 10:21:13 PM »
A couple years ago I listened to Keith Richard's autobiography on cds (I admit, I got it in that media because Johnny Depp reads part of it and so does Keith himself.)   Well in the book he talks about his past drug use and that he finally got clean back in the 70's.  Of the hard stuff anyway like heroin and coke, he might still smoke pot, I'm not sure. He also speaks of how he used to get clean by going cold turkey. 

Now there's been rumors that he had all his blood replaced in order to get clean, rumors that Keith debunks in his memoir and I was telling a former friend about this because he was a classic rock lover too and liked the Stones. 

"No that's not true! He did he did do that!"
"Nope, he got clean simply by going cold turkey.  Every time.  The rumor about his blood being replaced is just that, a rumor."
"But it IS true, I know it!"
"Did you listen to the full book?"
"No, I don't have to, I know it!"

So apparently the guy thinks he knows Keith Richard's life better than I do.  And the guy's only a year and a half older than I am.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #853 on: April 01, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »
And he wasn't even right...

Perhaps he was quibbling about the hopping they did for faster travel, but yes, they did "walk" some of the time.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

exitzero

« Reply #854 on: April 01, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »
A couple years ago I listened to Keith Richard's autobiography on cds (I admit, I got it in that media because Johnny Depp reads part of it and so does Keith himself.)   Well in the book he talks about his past drug use and that he finally got clean back in the 70's.  Of the hard stuff anyway like heroin and coke, he might still smoke pot, I'm not sure. He also speaks of how he used to get clean by going cold turkey. 

Now there's been rumors that he had all his blood replaced in order to get clean, rumors that Keith debunks in his memoir and I was telling a former friend about this because he was a classic rock lover too and liked the Stones. 

"No that's not true! He did he did do that!"
"Nope, he got clean simply by going cold turkey.  Every time.  The rumor about his blood being replaced is just that, a rumor."
"But it IS true, I know it!"
"Did you listen to the full book?"
"No, I don't have to, I know it!"

So apparently the guy thinks he knows Keith Richard's life better than I do.  And the guy's only a year and a half older than I am.

Even more impressive, he knows Keith Richard's life better than Keith Richards does.