Author Topic: Captain Know-It-All stories  (Read 159759 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: Captain Know-It-All stories
« Reply #915 on: April 07, 2013, 07:19:10 AM »
Lemurs are prosimian primates; they aren't monkeys.

Oops!  Thank you!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #916 on: April 07, 2013, 07:46:28 AM »
RingTailedLemur wrote:

"Yes, we are small monkeys - but we come from Madagascar, not Africa"

And that, boys and girls, is the definition of irony.

Virg

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #917 on: April 07, 2013, 07:47:36 AM »
RingTailedLemur wrote:

"Yes, we are small monkeys - but we come from Madagascar, not Africa"

And that, boys and girls, is the definition of irony.

Virg

Okay, so I misunderstood something about an animal I think is cute and graciously accepted correction.  I'm not really a lemur, either.  There is no need to shame me over it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:51:09 AM by RingTailedLemur »

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #918 on: April 07, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »
RingTailedLemur, I intended no shame at all.  I just found it ironically funny that a comment about corrections contained a story that led to multiple layers of "But wait..."  I really meant to include iridaceae's comment in that quote but I forgot.  The phrasing is lifted directly from Adam Savage.

Virg

RingTailedLemur

« Reply #919 on: April 07, 2013, 09:01:30 AM »
Okay, sorry.

Hillia

« Reply #920 on: April 07, 2013, 11:17:26 AM »
When my  mom was pregnant with me in 1962, she lived on a diet of coffee and cigarettes; she'd have tuna fish for breakfast, one hard boiled egg for lunch.  Her doctor wouldn't 'let' her gain more than I think 14 pounds, because 'he didn't want her coming back after the baby was born complaining about how much weight she gained'.  The best part?  My mother was an RN, and at this point had been managing the recovery room for several years.  But in those days, what Doctor says is gospel.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #921 on: April 07, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »

...   It's like the gaydar, except it works on Christians :)
Praydar?

LOL!   ;D ;D ;D

Addy

« Reply #922 on: April 07, 2013, 12:49:36 PM »
When my  mom was pregnant with me in 1962, she lived on a diet of coffee and cigarettes; she'd have tuna fish for breakfast, one hard boiled egg for lunch.  Her doctor wouldn't 'let' her gain more than I think 14 pounds, because 'he didn't want her coming back after the baby was born complaining about how much weight she gained'.  The best part?  My mother was an RN, and at this point had been managing the recovery room for several years.  But in those days, what Doctor says is gospel.

I changed doctors when at my first prenatal visit, he said "we don't like our girls to gain more than 17 or 18 pounds." Yeah, that's not patronizing in any way.  ::)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #923 on: April 07, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »

I changed doctors when at my first prenatal visit, he said "we don't like our girls to gain more than 17 or 18 pounds." Yeah, that's not patronizing in any way.  ::)

:o

Cami

« Reply #924 on: April 07, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »
My mother was an RN and she followed some realllllly stupid "rules" her doctor laid out. Many years later, she looked back and said, 'CRIVINS! was I thinking? I guess we were so brainwashed in nursing school about doctor=god, that we stopped thinking for ourselves." Amongst his priceless comments:

1. There is no such thing as morning sickness. Any woman who doesn't feel good during her pregnancy is just dramatic and/or a wimp and/or hates her unborn child.
2. Older children hate babies and should be kept away from them at all times. If an older child is left alone with a baby, they may smother it. Hence, when my sister was born, I was only allowed near her once the first year of her life-- at Xmas to take a picture. I have a clear memory of being allowed to stand near her in her bassinet and then being told to get out of the room.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #925 on: April 07, 2013, 05:00:28 PM »

I have a CW, who is quite thin, both pre and post her two kids. when she was pregnant with one of them, her dr. asked if she was having any snacks, and she said yes, and then asked what. She said oh, a piece of fruit, maybe a few crackers, something like that. Now this CW eats very healthily, and doens't have an extra ounce on her. she's actuallly gained some weight sicne she had her kids, and she looks good; she was quite thin before.

Said dr. poo pooed her and said well, if you feel you NEEd a snack, have a tic tac. Yes, she actually said that. CW switched dr.'s shortly after that, but will still retell the "Dr. Tic Tac" story every now nad then,.

Shalamar

« Reply #926 on: April 07, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
My ob/gyn took a look at my ultrasound photos and said "Well, looks like you're having a monster."  He meant my baby was larger than usual, but for a horrible moment I thought he meant she was going to be born deformed.    :-\

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #927 on: April 07, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »
My mother was an RN and she followed some realllllly stupid "rules" her doctor laid out. Many years later, she looked back and said, 'CRIVINS! was I thinking? I guess we were so brainwashed in nursing school about doctor=god, that we stopped thinking for ourselves." Amongst his priceless comments:

1. There is no such thing as morning sickness. Any woman who doesn't feel good during her pregnancy is just dramatic and/or a wimp and/or hates her unborn child.
2. Older children hate babies and should be kept away from them at all times. If an older child is left alone with a baby, they may smother it. Hence, when my sister was born, I was only allowed near her once the first year of her life-- at Xmas to take a picture. I have a clear memory of being allowed to stand near her in her bassinet and then being told to get out of the room.

Yikes - perfect recipe for sibling rivalry without end.

Sis  brought me a present because I had my heart set on an older brother. I decided to let her in the house.

The doctors or nurses at the NICU told my mom I had to be fed ever 2 hours (Under weight to begin with lost weight after birth due to having allergic reaction within a few hours of being born)

The first time she took me to a check up, a friend and neighbor had to drive us because Mom was falling down exhausted (Dad helped but had to work each day that included driving and being in a warehouse - mom insisted he sleep). My doctor told her that she was a smart woman and need to apply common sense to any orders. That she did not need to wake a sleeping baby. The doctors gave mom a script for vallium. Her friends made arrangements to babysit me, while Mom slept. Good thing - Mom took a 1/2 dose and wasn't coherent for 3 days.

The upshot was I was trained from an early age to ask questions about any medical procedure or instructions. I blew more than a few ER doc's and nurse's minds with the questions - including refusing certain medications (with my parents backing) because of a history of negative reactions to sedatives.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

mmswm

« Reply #928 on: April 07, 2013, 05:55:15 PM »
Doctors with god complexes are the worst.  Since I've just moved back to this area, I had to deal with a new ortho when oldest was hospitalized a few weeks ago. I originally went to one hospital because I thought the ortho they'd seen when they were little had retired (he hadn't, but isn't seeing new patients.) Anyway, this new guy was awful.  It was his way or the highway.  At some point the discussion turned to my youngest son and he made some statements as though his word was law without even knowing the whole story.  I looked at him nearly slack-jawed, told him that I no longer felt he could competently care for my children and walked out of the appointment.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #929 on: April 07, 2013, 07:22:50 PM »
Doctors with god complexes are the worst.  Since I've just moved back to this area, I had to deal with a new ortho when oldest was hospitalized a few weeks ago. I originally went to one hospital because I thought the ortho they'd seen when they were little had retired (he hadn't, but isn't seeing new patients.) Anyway, this new guy was awful.  It was his way or the highway.  At some point the discussion turned to my youngest son and he made some statements as though his word was law without even knowing the whole story.  I looked at him nearly slack-jawed, told him that I no longer felt he could competently care for my children and walked out of the appointment.

We were just condescended to by my son's pediatric GI doctor. He managed to insult: 1) His colleague, the allergist; 2) His nurses and staff; 3) Mrs.k2002, an RN, basically saying the he and only he knew anything about this particular issue. He then went on to tell us that we were very unusual in the amount of dairy that we have in our diet. He wanted my son to go dairy free and we explained that, unless there was an extremely strong reason to do so, we weren't going to comply. Although dairy is often implicated in the issue we are dealing with, it's not definitive and there weren't enough indicators (to us) to justify a change like that. The doctor (actually an osteopath, not an MD) told us that he and the people he knows didn't eat that much dairy and had no problem giving it up. The fact that he's a member of an ethnic group that is 90-100% lactose intolerant wouldn't have anything to with that one. [/sarcasm]

We're looking for a second opinion. He's far too invested in Z's problem being this particular syndrome.

Among the other things he did was to be very reluctant to tell us the quantitative value for a particular marker, claiming that it wasn't a definitive value. Except that every research paper abstract I read (and I spent a lot of time on PubMed) mentioned this particular threshold in the diagnosis. The pathologists report said "a few" and "some," and that, apparently, was good enough for him. Not good enough for me, I'm afraid.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain