Author Topic: Captain Know-It-All stories  (Read 143388 times)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: Captain Know-It-All stories
« Reply #990 on: May 28, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »
RegionMom, my DD would probably slap your son for turning down 3 jobs!!!  She will be 18 in a few weeks and the only place she found to hire her was a pizza place that was paying her $5/hr under the table and when she said no, she wanted a regular paycheck after 3 weeks of them promising she would go on payroll (we talked about the dangers of working under the table) they fired her  >:(  (this is not an independent place either...well known chain).  She interviewed at 3 different McDonalds and didn't get it...no one is hiring kids now.    But I do feel for you as she knows everything too...I am amazed at how incredibly dumb I am  ::) ::) ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #991 on: May 28, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »
My son is working at Scout camp all summer, and I am happy he went in as an unpaid counselor in training last year, because it helped him secure this position. He loves to teach younger kids, and is very good with them. Several of his friends did not get hired, because they did not show up at the designated time and day.

I wish jobs to all that want them.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #992 on: May 28, 2013, 11:37:44 AM »
...I am amazed at how incredibly dumb I am  ::) ::) ::)

From experience:  You (and most parents) are incredibly dumb starting about when your kids are about thirteen or fourteen and continuing until the early twenties, and then an AMAZING thing happens.  As your children get older and older, in their eyes YOU get smarter and smarter!  It's just the most astonishing phenomenon!   ;D

Hillia

« Reply #993 on: May 28, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »
Yes, it's definitely amazing how much I've learned since my son moved out on his own.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #994 on: May 28, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
...I am amazed at how incredibly dumb I am  ::) ::) ::)

From experience:  You (and most parents) are incredibly dumb starting about when your kids are about thirteen or fourteen and continuing until the early twenties, and then an AMAZING thing happens.  As your children get older and older, in their eyes YOU get smarter and smarter!  It's just the most astonishing phenomenon!   ;D
Yes, it's amazing that we ever managed to live long enough to HAVE teenagers, since we're all dumber than a stack of bricks.

The payback is when your now-adult children have teens of their own...  >:D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #995 on: May 28, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »
Oooh, I can't wait!  :D

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #996 on: May 28, 2013, 12:40:58 PM »
There is a quote that has been attributed to Mark Twain, the author.

http://quotationsbook.com/quote/45037/#sthash.zNVfOtZU.dpbs

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #997 on: May 28, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »
Yeah, I noticed my dad got some intelligence when I got into my 20's.  I also notice how amused he is if I carp about my DD driving me crazy ??? ??? ???  He mumbles something about paybacks...

CakeBeret

« Reply #998 on: May 28, 2013, 02:02:09 PM »
Yeah, I noticed my dad got some intelligence when I got into my 20's.  I also notice how amused he is if I carp about my DD driving me crazy ??? ??? ???  He mumbles something about paybacks...

My husband's parents lovingly state that our son is karmic retribution for what a little PITA my hubby was growing up, LOL.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

3grey

« Reply #999 on: May 31, 2013, 12:59:58 AM »
The awesome CKIT at work that had 18 hours of college classes in a particular subject 25 years ago which means he can automatically refute hundreds of peer-reviewed research papers by, ya know, actual scientists who do this for a living.   

His desk is right near mine, and  I had to get up and go get a cup of tea to get away from that rant.   Another co-worker made a coffee run at the same time for the same reason, and we rolled our eyes at each other.

3grey

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1000 on: May 31, 2013, 01:31:08 AM »
There is a woman in my church who took a 2 week sign language course 20 years ago, so she knows much more than I, who has been working in the Deaf community for 25 years, could ever know.

She argue with me about the right way to sign things, and there is NO convincing her otherwise. Some of the signs she "knows" are wrong enough to be borderline dirty/insulting. I'm almost mean enough to bring a Deaf friend to meet her so she can show off her "skills".

My head hurts now.... I can only ever hope to get well enough at ASL that I can actually teach it.

jane7166

« Reply #1001 on: May 31, 2013, 03:36:17 PM »
I hate when people "agree to disagree" about facts.  You can agree to that all you want, you're still wrong.

Maybe we're stuck in different dimensions. In hers, NC really didn't have colleges until 1982 and in mine they've had colleges around for over 200 years.

Wow, I thought I graduated from NC State in 1980 but I guess I was wrong because it obviously did t exist then. 

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1002 on: May 31, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »
jane7166 wrote:

"Wow, I thought I graduated from NC State in 1980 but I guess I was wrong because it obviously did t exist then."

It's kinda like the Peabody Conservatory, Class of '05...

Virg

Cami

« Reply #1003 on: May 31, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »
I've posted before about my CKIA coworker who just has an obsessive-compulsive need to contradict me on every statement I make.

Most recently, we were all chatting and I mentioned that the pants I was wearing aren't my favorite, but I haven't been able to find a new pair of blue pants I like.

CKIA: "Those pants are NOT blue."
Me: Sigh. "Yes, they are. But that's the not the point--"
CKIA: "You're right, the point is that you don't even know your colors. Those pants are slate GREY."
Other coworker: "You know, CKIA -- some people might call that color slate BLUE. Which is blue with a lot of grey."
CKIA: "You're wrong too! I'm surrounded by people who don't even know their colors."

Some day I'm going to take a spade to her head.

KB

« Reply #1004 on: May 31, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »
Some day I'm going to take a spade to her head.

If you do, what colour will her blood be...?  ;D